By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider vs Street Fighter Double Standards

A few small but significant differences between the two scenarios:

1. TR was announced as multiplatform before the timed exclusivity deal. It effectively stopped the game reaching gamers who were lead to believe they would be able to play it. SFV first reveal made the platforms clear.

2. Capcom are in a much worse financial position and the game may have taken many years without aid from Sony.

3. Microsoft went out of their way to make the announcement as ambiguous as possible as to the platform choice whereas the SFV announcement was clear cut from the start.

4. The TR fanbase is skewed towards Playstation. The previous games have sold more on Playstation consoles so way more than half of the fans of the franchise have been locked out (even more when PC is taken into account) of the initial release.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Not necessarly. When did square publicly state thay needed funding for TR again or it may not happen? 

It's threads like these that spread fud and full the "console war". 

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/square-enix-disappointed-by-sales-of-tomb-raider-wants-to-maximise-profits-during-development/

You want to keep going? If it wasnt for MS's funding, TR could of been a mobile game.

You care to explain how "We didn't make as much money on the last one as we would have liked" and "We don't have the resources to make a next-gen fighter" are the same?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Azzanation said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Street Fighter V wouldn't have been made if Sony didn't step in since Capcom was on their face.

You honestly think Capcons biggest franchise wasnt going to be made anymore if Sony hadnt steped in? Come on now.

Isn't Capcom biggest franchise Resident Evil, though?

Acevil said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

It's not that it wouldn't have been made it's when it would have been made. You should reaserch What they were saying about SF years ago before this deal was even concived. 

Okay explain to me the backlash that Boyeneta 2 recieved by fans constantly. When it comes down to it, it is fanbase complaining that exclusives exist in another console. I won't get to play Tomb Raider, and I want to, but at the same time the backlash was there, calling Square Enix stupid.

Only not really. In one case you have a game that came out on ps360 and became popular on those consoles only to have a sequel that will never be on those consoles. In the other case you have a franchise that has been on every ps console and is now not going to be on xb. Sales of SF games show that there is a huge audience for it on ps consoles. There wasn't for Bayo on Wiiu, as evident by the lack of sales. Fans have every reason to be disappointed in the fact that they can't play the sequel, though that's in no way Ninty's fault.

It is kinda the same situation and I agree that it's disappointing to see some people's double standards. Having said that, there are twice as many PS4 owners compared to Xbox owners, so its not surprising to see people react like this.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
It is kinda the same situation and I agree that it's disappointing to see some people's double standard. Having said that, there are twice as many PS4 owners compared to Xbox owners, so its not surprising to see people react like this.

But it's not the same situation, at all. 

The FUD about sales of Tomb Raider not being good enough for SE needs to stop. They said that after the first month.

Then, the legs of the games made it very successful

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/once-an-underperformer-tomb-raider-nearing-6-million-in-sales/1100-6418162/

Honestly, spreading misinformation about this game needs to stop at some point.

Edit: Since people are lazy:

"By the end of this month we will surpass 6 million units for our Tomb Raider reboot, and, having achieved profitability back in 2013, Tomb Raider has exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance," Gallagher said

naruball said:
Acevil said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

It's not that it wouldn't have been made it's when it would have been made. You should reaserch What they were saying about SF years ago before this deal was even concived. 

Okay explain to me the backlash that Boyeneta 2 recieved by fans constantly. When it comes down to it, it is fanbase complaining that exclusives exist in another console. I won't get to play Tomb Raider, and I want to, but at the same time the backlash was there, calling Square Enix stupid.

Only not really. In one case you have a game that came out on ps360 and became popular on those consoles only to have a sequel that will never be on those consoles. In the other case you have a franchise that has been on every ps console and is now not going to be on xb. Sales of SF games show that there is a huge audience for it on ps consoles. There wasn't for Bayo on Wiiu, as evident by the lack of sales. Fans have every reason to be disappointed in the fact that they can't play the sequel, though that's in no way Ninty's fault.

It is still reflection of Street Fighter V not being on XboxOne, I imagine a ton of XboxOne fans are fighter fans. In the end it is sign that fanbase complain unless when it is not happening to them. That is what the OP was trying to point out in his strange way, I sort of agree with him. 

a other crappy fan thread!! can we have cool article on VGchartz

Moderated By- PwerlvlAmy

Azzanation said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Sony helped fund SF5 to get the game out much sooner.

MS is giving money to keep TR off Ps4 at least for the holidays.

See the differences between the two?

Its posts like yours that are the prime example. Read the article, Head of Xbox even said there funding development.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/249214/Microsoft+helps+fund+Rise+of+the+Tomb+Raider/

So in other words if it wasnt for MS, TR wouldnt be coming out in 2015 aswell.

No, in other words you are reading things that aren't there.