By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shenmue 3 would probably have Persona-ish world map if it doesn't get to $10M

Honestly, Shenmue 3 doesn't have the KS longevity and might even flop so investing on open world is just suicidal at worst. I'm actually okay with it having like Persona 5 overworld with locations plastered around the city and anyone expecting for more is delusional unless Sony really funds or KS goes overdrive again.

That crazy Polygon article/Gaf negativity hurt its KS potential because xbox one version is not planned for it, fanboys ruin a good thing but anyway, I'm okay with this as long as its made.

Around the Network

You'd think they could you know, invest some of their own money like everyone else does. They are getting free marketing and lots of the game is being paid for by fans. It's like they think it's gonna sell 0 copies or something. It's ridiculous, can't you at least match the kickstarter contributions?? No, it has to be absolutely 0% risk for the developer and they get 100% of the profit.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
You'd think they could you know, invest some of their own money like everyone else does. They are getting free marketing and lots of the game is being paid for by fans. It's like they think it's gonna sell 0 copies or something. It's ridiculous, can't you at least match the kickstarter contributions?? No, it has to be absolutely 0% risk for the developer and they get 100% of the profit.

I agree. And i'm not a fan of Suzuki's attitude which is basically saying "You better dig deep in your wallet or we ain't doing this shit."

It could still make it to 10 million. usually the last 24 hours, there is usually a big push to meet certain stretch goals.

I thought it was presented fine at the E3 reveal. Adam Boyes said this is an independent game, and we have nothing to do with it. They wanted to give it some exposure since Yu Suzuki announced the PC and PS4 as the destinations for the game. It was a good move by Sony to give some of their conference time, and follow their mantra "This is for the Gamers".

What might kill this game is all the crossed messages that Sony is going to help with funding, but never clearing up to the extent of their involvement. Also, another story came out that said Sony was looking at other titles to KS. I personally think deals were struck after the annoucement which explains Sony's ambiguity answering questions initially. It also did not help that the stretch goals did not allow it to be ported for other systems, which is usually the norm for most games.

Yu Suzuki could have put the XB1 goal at 8 million and a WiiU version at 10 million. but now as it stands he is really only asking one userbase (PS4) to fund a game. I grew up loving SEGA, but my favorite games on the dreamcast was Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage, Virtua On, and Crazy Taxi.

plip.plop said:
It could still make it to 10 million. usually the last 24 hours, there is usually a big push to meet certain stretch goals.

I thought it was presented fine at the E3 reveal. Adam Boyes said this is an independent game, and we have nothing to do with it. They wanted to give it some exposure since Yu Suzuki announced the PC and PS4 as the destinations for the game. It was a good move by Sony to give some of their conference time, and follow their mantra "This is for the Gamers".

What might kill this game is all the crossed messages that Sony is going to help with funding, but never clearing up to the extent of their involvement. Also, another story came out that said Sony was looking at other titles to KS. I personally think deals were struck after the annoucement which explains Sony's ambiguity answering questions initially. It also did not help that the stretch goals did not allow it to be ported for other systems, which is usually the norm for most games.

Yu Suzuki could have put the XB1 goal at 8 million and a WiiU version at 10 million. but now as it stands he is really only asking one userbase (PS4) to fund a game. I grew up loving SEGA, but my favorite games on the dreamcast was Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage, Virtua On, and Crazy Taxi.

Lol are you kidding me? Shenmue would flop on xbox. Microsoft could've fully funded it but they know it'll flop especially with its userbase. Plus working on four different systems would take 90 years for them to complete this game. Just like No Man's Sky that's why they focus on PS4/PC.

The game is too ambitious for its own good. Yu Suzuki doesn't have a team as Ubisoft plenty to complete this project on a given time and you want it to come to other systems. lmao

Around the Network
kurasakiichimaru said:
plip.plop said:

Lol are you kidding me? Shenmue would flop on xbox. Microsoft could've fully funded it but they know it'll flop especially with its userbase. Plus working on four different systems would take 90 years for them to complete this game. Just like No Man's Sky that's why they focus on PS4/PC.

The game is too ambitious for its own good. Yu Suzuki doesn't have a team as Ubisoft plenty to complete this project on a given time and you want it to come to other systems. lmao

You know what? you're right it would flop on XB1, Shenmue 2 flopped on the OG Xbox, and MS published that. 

My mention of other systems was to draw more interest in, and create more investment capital by asking more people to help fund the game. Who's to say that Yu Suzuki could not have struck a similar deal with MS to port the game to the XB1 if they are interested, like what Sony is doing to help out.

I personally don't care what it comes to, I have a PS4 and XB1, and a beefed up, water cooled PC ( I built this thing for school) it does not affect me in the slightest.

All i did was mention other consoles on stretch goals because it tends to help create more funding. Let's not fool ourselves both the PS4/XB1 are pretty much PC's now.

plip.plop said:
kurasakiichimaru said:

You know what? you're right it would flop on XB1, Shenmue 2 flopped on the OG Xbox, and MS published that. 

My mention of other systems was to draw more interest in, and create more investment capital by asking more people to help fund the game. Who's to say that Yu Suzuki could not have struck a similar deal with MS to port the game to the XB1 if they are interested, like what Sony is doing to help out.

I personally don't care what it comes to, I have a PS4 and XB1, and a beefed up, water cooled PC ( I built this thing for school) it does not affect me in the slightest.

All i did was mention other consoles on stretch goals because it tends to help create more funding. Let's not fool ourselves both the PS4/XB1 are pretty much PC's now.

If it was multiplatform, Sony wouldn't back as much as it did. Sony already did the game the most favors since Shenmue 2 flopped by giving it biggest media exposure it could ever achieve on their E3 show. Microsoft wouldn't even commit to it for like a decade to bring a dead franchise to light, what makes you think they'll invest big on this one while Sony lessens theor support cause its not console exclusive. Something has to give if Suzuki chooses something. Their problem was they totally aimed low. The best thing is it's happening whether its not open world or its persona-ish overworld.

I disagree, Sony knows that they have a good amount of the Hardcore gaming base. Which is why they gave up time in their conference to show this. This game is really only known to the hardcore online gaming community. Sony's backing that was clarified was they would cover marketing cost, and the port to the PS4 version. Sony could have still  funded the marketing with the promise of exclusive marketing rights/ timed exclusive Additional content.
It would have been no different than previous marketing deals with AAA games i.e. Destiny, Diablo, and upcoming titles COD black Ops3, Star Wars Battlefront, etc.. Those games came to multiple consoles, but Sony still footed the cost to market those.
Exclusivity is a nice thing, but for a game that needs all the help it can get. Yu Suzuki went about it the worst way possible.

Edit: As far as MS funding this, and not jumping at the chance. So what? Sony is not funding it either, even SEGA is not funding their own IP. Bringing up MS as if they dropped the ball is silly, Nobody wants to fund this, hence why it went to KS. At this point, Yu Suzuki would have been better off turning it into a digital novel, If he really wants this story to be told.

Shenmue 1 and 2 do not have a world map at all, not even a Persona-like one. Shenmue does not need a world map. https://youtu.be/K_zB-R-Dbw8?t=20

Many assets are probably already made and can be used from the Saturn Version and Shenmue online, they just need to be upgraded to HD. Most of the Story is already written. So the majority of the cost involved in creating the game is pure labour cost, like 50k-100k per developer per year.

Like in every Kickstarter the stretch goals are just a marketing gag but the more money you collect the more developers and designers can be hired.

Shenmue never had a really open world, you were always stuck to a limited number of areas to go. The difference between open world or not mostly affects the number of voice acting required, it makes a huge difference if you can ask every question in the game to 10 or to 200 people. But voice acting does not have to cost much, you can do most of it within your team almost for free.

etking said:

Shenmue 1 and 2 do not have a world map at all, not even a Persona-like one. Shenmue does not need a world map. https://youtu.be/K_zB-R-Dbw8?t=20

That's not the discussion. It's open world vs Persona-ish world map/overworld. Shenmue does not have the ks money/funding to construct an open world game. If it does, good but if not, then fans should settle on a persona-ish world map as an overworld to explore instead of overworld.