By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would PS4 like performance be enough for Nintendo NX?

It depends on what Nintendo wants this console to be. Are they abandoning third party support for the most part and trying to support this console all by themselves, sort of abandoning the market playstation microsoft and PC are all competing over and carving themselvelves further into their nieche? Are they creating another nintendo box?
Then the specs don't really matter that much. They need to get the price down to a point where more mainstream gamers will consider it as a secondary console, parents will pick it up for their kids etc.

Are they trying to hit Wii sweet spot again and wow gamers with innovation, as well as draw in new crowds?
This option is hard to gauge. Depending on what the gimmick is, they might actually need better than ps4 spects to pull it off. The WiiU imo partly suffers, not only because the gamepad is too expensive in production, but also because the console is just not powerful enough to really use it impressively. It lacks that final punch to render games twice in real time without sacrifices in framerate or graphical prowess.

Also initially they promised the ability to have multiple gamepads supported, which could have really opened up possibilities in regards to party games, original local multiplayers etc. (Splatoon could be even more awesome with a genuine local turfwar, for example). This was quitely scrapped, making the wiiU a more imbalanced local multiplayer experience than the wii was. This leads me to believe the WiiU isn't really powerfull enough to fully utilise its own gimmick. (And I say this as someone that absolutely loves off-Tv play, the convienience of the touchscreen for menus etc. I think the gamepads great!)

Regardless of all of the above, this option seems the most likely to me. Miyamoto has said that they want to continue to innovate, go different directions and hope that the NX will wow gamers.

The last option is Nintendo talking to third party developers and asking what they need, to try and win them back to the console. This puts them into a more direct competition with sony and microsoft. They would be making a 'traditional' console in this case. If they do this ps4 level specs wont nearly be enough for them. They're releasing mid- to endcycle of the other two consoles and the NX has to simultaneously compete with two, likely by that point cheaper, consoles as well as their more powerfull successors. Releasing two years ahead of the competition like that could be an advantage, time to establish market dominance, it could however also serve to cut the consoles legs short, once Ps5/newXbox release.
If that's the strategy they're going with, they need to at least double the ps4s specs, while keeping the price down as much as possible and also have a killer first and thirdparty lineup for the first year imo. That's going to be hard to achieve.

Phew, this post turned out way longer than planned!

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
almostpitythehaters said:

shut up already. why do you insist on that stupidity? the wii u has a much bigger difference than that against ps360. now ps4 and x1 aren't even top tech for their time and you expect a smaller jump from nintendo? get real and stop trolling.

I don't know your age but you are coming across as some sort of spoilt brat. Your view is contrary to the way Nintendo currently does business and designs hardware so hardly fair to accuse others of stupidity who see Nintendo improving slightly in that regard rather than radically operating in a different way which is your view. You seem to have expectations than Nintendo are going to create some beast of a console but I don't think that is realistic. They make reliable, affordable hardware but I think they have learned their lesson that the performance level was just too low. 

Its always interesting to make and read predictions for the future hardware of Nintendo. Lets not forget that unless Nintendo get back third party support there isn't much point making some sort of high performance console as their own titles don't need cutting edge hardware.

"I don't know your age but you are coming across as some sort of spoilt brat"

you're an idiot.

"You seem to have expectations than Nintendo are going to create some beast of a console"

liar

"They make reliable, affordable hardware"

Yes and that reliable afordable hardware is easily superior than the previus gen consoles, just like wii u is much more powerfull than ps360 regardless of your denial.

NathObeaN said:
IMO, no. The Wii U was mostly a failure because it only just matched Xbox 360/PS3 power. It needs to come out and be at least 5x as powerful as the PS4 to capture people's attention.

The XB1/PS4 are about 8x as powerful as previous gen and it still isn't enough to make people's jaw drop in terms of the difference. Most people have either just invested in a new console or are about to, you are going to need to wow people if you want them to spend more cash or trade in their newly acquired console for something else.

"IMO, no. The Wii U was mostly a failure because it only just matched Xbox 360/PS3 power."

stop living in denial.

jonathanalis said:
a perfect hardware wont be enough.
theres no way to nx compete with ps4 and one.
will repeat the ps2 versus GC.

Keep hating. and it won't compete with ps4 and x1, it will comprete with it's sucessors unless sony and ms are crazy enough to keep the current consoles for another 5-6 years.

fps_d0minat0r said:
No because its best case scenario would still only be X1 level performance. Based on the prediction that it will have less third party support than the PS4 or the X1, it will still perform the worst in sales.

And by the time thats out, PS4 and X1 slims will be out and selling for much less and have established a larger collection of users, games, apps, peripherals and basically anything a gamer could want.

Ofcourse nintendo has exclusives, but people would buy a system for those exclusives regardless of the systems specifications.

I think its in the same situation as wii U. few people chose that over PS3/360 in its early days and few people chose it over a PS4/X1 later on. I think few people will choose NX over a PS4/X1 in its early days and they will be all over the PS5 and X2 when they come out. They should have waited imo.

"No because its best case scenario would still only be X1 level performance"

"I think few people will choose NX over a PS4/X1 in its early days and they will be all over the PS5 and X2 when they come out"

gosh, look at this stupidity.

Around the Network

You guys talking about 3rd party ports are deluding yourselves

If Nintendo can get PS4-ish performance into a tablet style form factor ... that ... might be an interesting game changer.

Not literal PS4 performance, but good enough to allow for ports at say 960x540 resolution with some effects pared down ... that would be interesting.

Then the home NX could play them at 1080P and full fidelity.

What in the last three years made you akl believe Nintendo is at all interested in investing in third party ports to their system.

Even the beginning of the Wii u seemed more likely than now, and given the disaster that ending up being they will not go there again. Whether or not they should is another story, but its an unrealistic scenario based on fan wish rather than likelihood.

globalisateur said:
I seriously doubt NX (which most likely will be a tablet IMO) will even have PS4 specs.

Nintendo has said multiple times now that the NX is their next home console - why are people still in denial? :P 

OT: I think it will be more powerful but not by much. Maybe 8gb of RAM but more RAM dedicated to games than on the other systems. A comparable GPU but maybe one generation ahead. And I'm not sure about the CPU. They publicly said they will use the Wii U as the blueprint for their next console and Nintendo tries to keep their consoles small, cool and power efficient. Maybe we'll see a 6-core CPU at a higher clock speed than PS4/XO (and if Nintendo doesn't change their plans it will be Power PC, so it'll need a lower clock speed to achieve similar performance per core). 

The success of Nintendo's next console will not depend so much on power (as long as it's not underpowered compared to current consoles) but more on execution: Will there be an expensive Gamepad? Will they bring back the Wiimote? Will the console be easy to understand and simple to manufacture and program for? Will they stop producing games built on "Gameplay mechanics" and go back to the great games they used to develop in 2004-2008, before they lost their way? If anything they need their next console to be easy to understand and develop for. To most people the gamepad stands in the way of them and their games. The Wii audience never left Nintendo. Nintendo just stopped releasing quality games for them (after 2008 software quality went downhill). 

Yes, it's enough. Its success won't depend on power, it will depend on other factors, like good launch titles, prize, the new concept behind the console, etc. I think that if they do a PS5-like console: powerful, expensive, traditional console... They will fail badly. But I'm not an expert xDD