By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would PS4 like performance be enough for Nintendo NX?

It doesn't matter, because the NX won't get many 3rd party games regardless of how powerful it's going to be..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

They literally have described the NX as a "new concept" already. 

Nintendo isn't interested in competing directly with MS/Sony, I think that's more than abundantly clear. What their fans want and what their own internal corporate company politics are also are two very, very, (very) different things many times. Just because fans enjoy their games, doesn't mean they have any idea how Nintendo actually thinks on things corporately. 

You're almost certainly right.  Your point was made painfully clear this E3.  I was more just hypothesizing about "what if." (which is probably a dangerous thing to do after seeing how angry everyone got)

Shiken said:
If they release mid gen, it will be WiiU all over again. Slightly more powerful console that people will ignore while waiting for PS5 or X2.

I'm amazed at the things cheap trolls like you keep saying.

Soundwave said:

I think it will be around 1 TFLOP using mostly mobile parts (the same CPU/GPU in the mobile, just scaled up).

And that will be enough for Nintendo. They barely are pushing the Wii U as is.

Nintendo isn't interested in competing with Sony, even if this did come out in 2016, by then the PS4 will be $250 or so most likely with hundreds of games available ... no way Nintendo can compete and they don't have credibility with the "dudebros" crowd either so it's not like those people are just going to ditch Sony/MS overnight for Nintendo.

Nintendo is going to bet on another "surprise" (read: gimmick) plus the whole unified platform thing.

I think that's what Nintendo views their role in the industry now as -- to be different. For better or worse.

They've already said it -- NX will be a "new concept" and that making a traditional console upgrade is boring to them. So you can hold your breath for that ... I just wouldn't hold it too long. 

Stop your bullshit already. lol at "1tflop" or"nintendo not pushing wii u" or "not interested in competing with sony". Grow up.

Busted said:
I've lost all hope for nintendo to make a ''normal'' console again, it will probably be on par with the PS4 just because time passes and they couldn't make it with older tech even if they wanted to, but that's only gonna last for so long, then the next consoles will come out leaving nintendo behind and the cicle will be begin again, will it be enough? enough for what? oohh, no it won't, the only thing that can save nextendo from being (yet) another N64 is that the new gimminck catches on, so far they are 1-1 - we'll see.

lots of stupidity here. please think before posting nonsense like "the cicle will begin again".

Around the Network
Illusion said:

I still think the NX Android rumour might have been on to something. A unified platform that competes for the mobile market is the way that Nintendo needs to go (they just need to get out of this arms race with Sony and MS).

I just can't see Nintendo making a console that is more powerful then the PS4. Nintendo is still struggling to make games run at 720P. In fact, the only solution that we have seen Nintendo come up with so far has been to either release games before they are complete (Splatoon) or to announce games that are very small in scope (Mario Tennis). Zelda has taken Nintendo 3+ years and Nintendo won't even attempt a Metroid Prime style game on the Wii U. Jumping to the PS4 level will be even harder for Nintendo since getting games to be seamless at 1080p is even giving the big 8th gen developers a lot of difficulty.

I really think the way to go is to build the NX platform around smart devices but which also has the ability to uspcale games when hooked up to your television. Therefore, the graphical capabilities of the NX will be foremost tied to mobile devices but if you want to upscale to Wii U quality on your television then that should also be an option (maybe a little faster then the Wii U).

"I just can't see Nintendo making a console that is more powerful then the PS4."

that's because you're an idiot.

"Nintendo is still struggling to make games run at 720P. In fact, the only solution that we have seen Nintendo come up with so far has been to either release games before they are complete (Splatoon) or to announce games that are very small in scope (Mario Tennis)"

again, you're an idiot.

"I really think the way to go is to build the NX platform around smart devices but which also has the ability to uspcale games when hooked up to your television. Therefore, the graphical capabilities of the NX will be foremost tied to mobile devices but if you want to upscale to Wii U quality on your television then that should also be an option (maybe a little faster then the Wii U)"

need I repeat?

Dusk said:
Not if Nintendo knows what's good for them. They should have a much more powerful system than the PS4 or X1 when it is released. If they just level the playing field again, then it will be another loss for them.

What do you mean by again? the wii u is quite more capable than ps360 ever dreamed of.

bunchanumbers said:
I think so. People like to forget, but the main reason why PS4 is the leader is because of x86 and 1080p. If NX is more powerful than the PS4... lets say enough to do 1080p and 60 fps with little issue, then that will be more than enough to last next gen. Resolution won't become a issue again until TVs with higher resolutions than 1080p become commonplace. Sony could push PS5 with hardware that goes above 1080p but there would be no point. Almost all TVs won't utilize it. So it becomes a non selling point to the average consumer.

Nintendo just needs to make sure that their next console has the x86 architecture for easy ports and then almost all 3rd parties will have no excuse to not port their game to NX. That and make sure that their online infrastructure isn't a joke like people like to claim about Wii U. It will need stuff like party chat, and the like. If they do then all their ducks will be in a row. Especially if NX has a 3 or 4 year head start on PS5 and Nextbox.

"Nintendo just needs to make sure that their next console has the x86 architecture for easy ports and then almost all 3rd parties will have no excuse to not port their game to NX."

third parties don't have excuses right now but ignore the wii u anyway.

"That and make sure that their online infrastructure isn't a joke like people like to claim about Wii U."

Only a stupid hater will say wii u's online is a joke.

Player2 said:

Assuming the NX is a home console (which isn't confirmed); enough for what? To have even bigger software droughts than the Wii U?

oh look, another hater.

needs to be better