By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would PS4 like performance be enough for Nintendo NX?

Nogamez said:
Make it so 3rd party can port to it easily. And secure all the big 3rd party like gta,fallout,Fifa and cod. Then make amazing Nintendo games. Then advertise like the world depends on it. Advertise your gta 6 and your xenoblades. Advertise the next huge 3d donkey Kong and Mario. Make the console look good and not a toy. Make it powerful.

End of day it's do or die for Nintendo home consoles. Go out guns blazing not quietly like a wimpering dog.

third parties always make excuses up because of bribery.

and it's far off from do or die, since nintendo is actually profitable, unlike the competitors.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
They need to make it AS powerful as PS5. If they don't, and they don't use a standard controller, goodbye third parties again.

hard to make something as powerfull as an inexistent console. besides, wii u is already in the power range to have 720p ports from ps4/x1 and has a standard controller with a screen.

GameMasterPC said:
bunchanumbers said:
I think so. People like to forget, but the main reason why PS4 is the leader is because of x86 and 1080p. If NX is more powerful than the PS4... lets say enough to do 1080p and 60 fps with little issue, then that will be more than enough to last next gen. Resolution won't become a issue again until TVs with higher resolutions than 1080p become commonplace. Sony could push PS5 with hardware that goes above 1080p but there would be no point. Almost all TVs won't utilize it. So it becomes a non selling point to the average consumer.

Nintendo just needs to make sure that their next console has the x86 architecture for easy ports and then almost all 3rd parties will have no excuse to not port their game to NX. That and make sure that their online infrastructure isn't a joke like people like to claim about Wii U. It will need stuff like party chat, and the like. If they do then all their ducks will be in a row. Especially if NX has a 3 or 4 year head start on PS5 and Nextbox.

PS4 is selling for more reasons than 1080p multiplats. To say its selling for resolution is delusional. It has a strong library of games like XB1 but it plays many of the same games with better graphics.

By the time PS5 comes out 4K/8K will be the standard. 1080p would be a thing of the past. People are already moving to 4K TV. If PS5 releases in 2018 the majority of the western world would have moved to 4K. In such a situation NX will look bad again. Also PS5 and XB2 will have far more powerful hardware than NX and then the situation will once again be the same.

Lets not forget that PS4 and XB1 can easily run 1080p60fps ports of all PS3 games. As graphics have evolved PS4 and XB1 have been unable to do that with current-gen games. So if NX is able to run current PS4 games at 1080p60fps, it will have a hard time doing 1080p30fps with PS5 and XB1 games if it can run them at all. And as I said 4K will be the standard by then. NX needs to be a generation above PS4 in terms of power to stand a chance against PS5 and XB2.

lol at 8k being standard by the time ps5 releases. anyway, 4k = 4x 1080p, while 1080p = 2.25x 720p. ps4 can barely run games at 1080p, a jump from ps360 barely running 720p games and you expect the ps5 to run games at 4x the current resolution? only if they use 8th gen graphics.

JNK said:
it doesnt matter. If NX is a home console and they release between the gens it will fail. Console owner wont switch, the difference would be to small and they dont want a new system just 3 years after they bought ps4/xbo.
Nintendo need to invest money in wii u to show that they support the system and have third party support and they get a better reputation. If they really just let wii u die and make anoither console its 100%flop.

you're a clear hater. whenever the wii u successor releases, it's not gonna be mid gen because it will be at least 4 years into wii u's life (most probably 5 years). and such timing means nothing about the console failing or not.

Michelasso said:
If Nintendo wants to fight Sony it must bring more power than the PS4. As in reaching 1080p@60fps with easy. Obviously getting the incoming multi-platform games on it. Plus some ports. I think that will be possible with a $400 budget in a couple of years. They just have to avoid the gimmicks. No one care too much about them.

that can be achieved with $399 at launch today, much less than that in one or two years.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

The next Nintendo console will have a "gimmick". Nintendo has already basically said so ("new game concept", "upgrading hardware is boring"), etc.

Nintendo is not going to simply do the same thing Sony and MS do. I think we may as well just accept that for better or worse.

Truth be told, I find Nintendo games looks pretty damn good on the Wii U as is. This isn't like the Wii vs. PS3/360, where Wii games looked like garbage on an HDTV set next PS3/360 games.

Wii U games still look nice if the effort is put into them.

I wouldn't honestly be all that choked about a platform in the 1 TFLOP range with 3-4GB of RAM for games.

I think Nintendo's plan is they will roll the dice again on some Miyamoto-approved gimmick. If said gimmick doesn't pan out this time, they still can fall back on the unified platform thing (play the same games at home or on the road) at a low cost. 

"Nintendo is not going to simply do the same thing Sony and MS do. I think we may as well just accept that for better or worse."

They do the same thing as sony and ms AND they do their own thing. accept that.

There are three challenges.
1. Getting close to PS4 power at $249 / $299. By the time it launches it will see its competitors at this range.
2. Have some first party games at launch. Nintendo is struggling to make zelda which is an AAA standard when it comes to resource. I doubt they will have games closer to this scope.
3. Third parties. Nope. They had their chance with Wii U.

Miyamotoo said:
Yes, I think they will target power little above PS4 with similar architecture, that will secure them easy 1080p ports for third party and more than enough power for 1080p/60fps Nintendo games.

you speak as if nintendo games don't push the console.

bonzobanana said:
Kyuu said:
Its GPU should have a minimum performance of 2.5 TFLOPS. Or in other words, twice as powerful as Xbox One.

I'd love to see this but Nintendo's recent track record is going incredibly cheap. This would be the complete reversal of that. I think Nintendo know they went far too low in performance with wii u but I think they will try to find a way of designing a console that performs well on the cheap. Maybe something like AMD's Zen architecture APU. The gpu side possibly may only just break 1 terraflop but the memory bandwith and cpu performance would put it easily ahead of ps4 and xbone. This to me would be a good platform for Nintendo. It would certainly be powerful enough to fully emulate gamecube,wii and wii u for backwards compatibility. Visually it should easily outperform xbone due to improved architecture/bandwidth etc elsewhere. It would also be possible to do games that would struggle on ps4 and xbone due to their more limited cpu performance. Lastly it would certainly be good enough to do cartoon graphics like Mario World at 1080p at 60fps no issues. Launching with third party support and some amazing exclusives would provide a good launch.

Nintendo need to be clever at providing a low cost console with excellent performance rather than screwing over their customers with dire hardware at inflated prices.

shut up already. why do you insist on that stupidity? the wii u has a much bigger difference than that against ps360. now ps4 and x1 aren't even top tech for their time and you expect a smaller jump from nintendo? get real and stop trolling.

Dulfite said:
They will either go with something more powerful without anything innovative (aka 3d, motion controls, touchscreen, etc.) Or they will have something innovative and be just as powerful as the 8th gen, kind of like Wii u was with the ps3.

The wii u is much more powerfull than ps3. but you're right that wii u sucessor will be much more powerfull than ps4 unless it has something revolutionary like the wiimote was.