By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the Nintendo NX come out?

When will the NX come out?

2016 184 40.35%

2017 240 52.63%

2018 24 5.26%

2019 and afterwards :p 8 1.75%

Total:456

I won't say that it WON'T launch in late 2016, I just would be somewhat surprised if it did. It would be folly to pull a Saturn/Dreamcast deal, and rush it out because the Wii U isn't selling amazing numbers. It isn't as if they aren't making money off of Wii U, they are. Just not anywhere close to what they obviously would LIKE to be making.

I think Wii U, especially because of it's thriving eShop/Miiverse community, can sustain for another year and a half to two years. They need some more retail titles, which is fair, because we know more is coming, such as SMT x FE, such as Devil's Third, Zelda, Retro's project, Next Level's rumored Wii U title that wasn't revealed, etc. There are still other studios, internal Nintendo ones, as well as outside partners such as Monster Games, that obviously have projects in the works that they're not talking about yet.

So I do think we'll see some good games beyond Zelda next year. I think they'll reveal "NX" (or rather it's real name) at E3 or thereabouts next year, try to blow people away and possibly make up for the "meh" showing at this year's E3 (it WASN'T awful....just not exciting). And that the system itself will launch sometime in 2017. That makes the most sense to me, it allows them time to squeeze some more life (and cash) out of Wii U, and it gives them much more time to actually do what they stumbled doing with Wii U: take the time to MAKE SURE plenty of games are ready for it.

Around the Network

2018 is way too late. They've been talking about NX since spring 2015 now, they're not just going to wait 3 years.

I say 2016 or 2017.

3DS needs a successor here soon too, it's over 4 years old now, and coming up on 5 years with declining sales every year to the point where Nintendo is now down to their lowest handheld shipments in 18 years. It needs to be replaced.

I can see it coming sometime in mid 2017

November 2016

Nov 2016 and its not the succesor of wiiu, its something to interact with it and the 3ds.

Around the Network

November 20, 2016

So many NX threads all of a sudden

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

November 2016... With Zelda anchoring it as a cross platform release.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

2016 would be suicide, the PS4 and Xbox One would be at there apex where developers are most familiar with them. While NX if it is a home console will be unfamiliar and unproven. It may make it easier to be 'on par' with the current systems but if Nintendo really wants to dominate again they can not short change the device hardware like they did with the Wii U.

2017 gives them a window when things like major titles are potentially not as strong, and looking for new experimental success instead of big name releases. Speaking of which the boost that Splatoon gives to the Japanese sales maybe enough along with Zelda Wii U for Nintendo to give the system another year.

Initial unveiling at E3 2016 with a full press conference and all. Massive showcase at E3 2017. Launch in Nov. 2017 with a AAA game at launch. Zelda will be the Wii U's swan song, and there will be one more currently unannounced AAA game for the Wii U.

If they launch the NX in 2016 they will pull a 32X/Saturn, and that will cripple them. They ABSOLUTELY DO NOT need to fuck up again. They're not betting the farm yet, but they are certainly working their way up to that point.