By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess delayed to 2006, not coming to Revolution

It will never happen again

Agree, won't happen 35 28.93%

I can see it happening in... 86 71.07%

Total:121

At this stage i'd prefer it to be ported to NX as then I can forget buying a Wii U for 1 Zelda title, and purchase a NX with the hope of 2 Zelda titles being published on it.

Around the Network

OP Updated with more info.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

BraLoD said:
Pavolink said:
BraLoD said:
The sad thing is that the GC already had a Zelda so it was acceptable, but the Wii U don't.
Might be hard to core Zelda Wii U owners, as the OP.

You know what's harder? That we can't do something as long as there are fans that look for excuses rather than accepting the harsh truth.

Well, if history does repeat itself then the Wii U will also get the game, but not as a exclusive point to make more people buy the system, and the worse version, but TP got close versions to both, ao the later won't be much of a problem.

I don't think the problem is the NX version. The problem will be if they accept they delayed the game just for the NX version, like TP.

Pavolink said:
Jon-Erich said:
Pavolink said:

Zelda Delayed to Next Year

And they were telling the truth. Nowhere in that article did they ever say it wasn't coming to the Wii, or the Revolution as it was known as back then. They said it was still coming to the GameCube and that was the truth. Also, the reasons for delaying it are true as well. If you look at the footage for the game between E3 2005 and it's launch in 2006, they actually did make major changes and large portion of the game were revamped. The decision to bring it to the Wii was more of a moment of opportunity. That system was coming soon. The hardware was practically the same as the GameCube's hardware which made the porting super easy.

Now I'm sure the launch date was ultimately decided to coincide with the Wii. I'm sure had it been a GameCube-only game, it could have been out by August or September of that year. But no, releasing it on the Wii wasn't the sole reason Twilight Princess was delayed.

Upon its conception, I was curious to see the Revolution, Nintendo’s new platform announced at E3 2005, would innovate Zelda’s gameplay. I was eager to try it, but I thought that that could happen only after we completed work on Twilight Princess. I was surprised at first to hear Miyamoto’s suggestion that we try it right away, and I didn’t know how it would impact the Zelda that at that time was still missing a key ingredient. But we had to start by testing what Miyamoto had suggested and that was getting the pointer to work as the control for the bow and arrow. Though the pointer control that we developed as a trial still needed tweaking, and as imperfect as it was, the feeling of being able to aim directly at the target on the screen was, as with the DS version, exactly what was needed to give Zelda a completely new feel. Having experienced it, I was convinced that that was the only direction we could take. “This direct control is exactly what Twilight Princess needs in order to penetrate a market experiencing gamer drift." Miyamoto knew that this would be my response, and he himself felt strongly about it.

However, if we put Twilight Princess on the Revolution, we ran the risk of those looking forward to playing it on the GameCube. For this reason, we knew that we had to release it for the GameCube as well. But doing so meant developing two versions, a GameCube version and Revolution version, and we knew that it was impossible to create both before the 2005 release as promised. Miyamoto negotiated with the higher-ups, and in the end, while it would disappoint those users who were looking forward to the 2005 release, if we really were able to create a 120% Zelda game that could be played both on the GameCube and on the Revolution, then even if we did release at the time of the launch of the Revolution in 2006, we could make even those users happy. This was Iwata’s response and the decision to create Twilight Princess for both the Revolution and the GameCube.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/13091/eiji-aonumas-gdc-2007-presentation-a-revolutionary-idea

Yeah. They didn't finish the GameCube version first and start on the Wii version. They were working on both at the same time. That doesn't change the fact that drastic changes were made between E3 2005 and E3 2006. I remember a lot of these changes clearly because Nintendo Power at the time had a section in the magzine that ran for over a year and you could see the changes taking place. 

Also, watch this. This contains just about all the public footage of Twilight Princess between 2004 and 2006. My point still stands. Even if there wasn't a Wii version of Twilight Princess, it was going be delayed anyway, maybe by not as much but a delay nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fwk7AsLuh8

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Jon-Erich said:

Yeah. They didn't finish the GameCube version first and start on the Wii version. They were working on both at the same time. That doesn't change the fact that drastic changes were made between E3 2005 and E3 2006. I remember a lot of these changes clearly because Nintendo Power at the time had a section in the magzine that ran for over a year and you could see the changes taking place. 

Also, watch this. This contains just about all the public footage of Twilight Princess between 2004 and 2006. My point still stands. Even if there wasn't a Wii version of Twilight Princess, it was going be delayed anyway, maybe by not as much but a delay nonetheless.

You have footage and assumptions while I have the word from Aonuma adminiting getting delayed for a full year in order to do the Wii version. Tell me what to believe.

Around the Network

To be fair Nintendo simply said Zelda U is coming to wiiU. They haven't flat out said is not coming to NX, as far as I know ;D

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Pavolink said:
Jon-Erich said:

You have footage and assumptions while I have the word from Aonuma adminiting getting delayed for a full year in order to do the Wii version. Tell me what to believe.

Although, not the most reliable article, this explains some of it. Other than that, I don't feel like digging out old Nintendo Power magazines.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Development_of_The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Twilight_Princess

Aonuma admitted that by the ater half of 2005, the game was still unfinished. It's also a fact, not an assumption that the game changed a lot between E3 2005 and E3 2006. One of the most obvious changes was the entire look of the Twilight world. It's in the footage. So even if they managed to get the game out by the end of 2005, we would have gotten a different game.

Jon-Erich said:
Pavolink said:

Although, not the most reliable article, this explains some of it. Other than that, I don't feel like digging out old Nintendo Power magazines.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Development_of_The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Twilight_Princess

Aonuma admitted that by the ater half of 2005, the game was still unfinished. It's also a fact, not an assumption that the game changed a lot between E3 2005 and E3 2006. One of the most obvious changes was the entire look of the Twilight world. It's in the footage. So even if they managed to get the game out by the end of 2005, we would have gotten a different game.

Yes, we have changes after getting delayed. Those changes are not the reason they delayed.

Pavolink said:
Jon-Erich said:
Pavolink said:

Yes, we have changes after getting delayed. Those changes are not the reason they delayed.

It was one of the reasons given. Porting it to the Wii is the reason why the game was delayed until November and December of 2006. But the doesn't change the fact that the game was still being altered and refined in late 2005.

Dulfite said:
Where is the option to vote for it happening right now? I don't understand why anyone would think Nintendo would develop a game for a console (a massive game, like Zelda, that costs a HUGE amount of money to make) that's in its final year (let's be serious people 2016 is Wii U's last year, even if the NX doesn't launch until 2017 but I think it will be 2016) alone? Why would they NOT want to maximize profits and, not to mention, satisfy NX owners who don't want to have to wait ANOTHER 4-5 years before the NX Zelda launches?

My question is: why not double dip?

If they give the Wii U version a little time to breathe before releasing the "Remaster," they'll appease Wii U owners (maybe even lure in some late adopters when the Wii U's price has dropped), sell a cool 2-3 million copies, and THEN announce that the game will be ported with enhanced graphics and some new bells and whistles. That will no doubt bring new gamers to the NX, appease the Zelda "fans" patient enough to wait for the remaster we all knew was coming eventually - but hadn't been announced, and sell several more million copies. 

With the rate that "Mario Kart 8" reached 2 million, they'll be able to announce the remaster a few months after the game releases for Wii U and have it out within the NX's launch window. As mentioned earlier, Sony is the master of transitions and enhanced ports. Nintendo should take a page from "The Last of Us" Remastered and not murder the guaranteed sales of the game on both systems. If you have any doubt that "Zelda U" wouldn't move units on the NX - just take a look at "Wind Waker HD" on the Wii U. That game has already moved over a million copies on Nintendo's slowest selling console of all time (Virtual Boy excluded).

Sounds like a win win to me. Sell a lot of games, save face with your fanbase, and reap the rewards. A page right out of Sony's playbook. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7