By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Re-opening a discussion: "The Wii U is a better secondary console than the X1/PS4"

I would go so far as to remove the specific console and just go with brand names and wind up with the same conclusion. Fact is MS and Sony are both using the same approach to attract gamers. Nintendo offers a different experience in a lot of their titles. I am an every console every gen kinda guy, but if I had to choose only two it would be either MS or Sony and definitely Nintendo as the secondary.

Around the Network

I used to think like that, except the Wii U doesn't get many games at least compared to the X1 and PS4. And it won't be supported for very long so there's no point in buying one now. The best combo would be PC + PS4, or is you're not into PC gaming, then PS4 + X1.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Xone is a great secondary console, MS is scrambling to compete and giving me more and better exclusives then nintendo ever could and i just cant game on PC its just a inferior feeling.

WiiU is still the best secondary console if you're into PC Gaming.... I spent £700 on a gaming PC but I really don't like playing on the same thing I work all day on, so that was a mistake.

I'd still personally go PS4+WiiU if I didn't own them both already.

I can agree that this is the best gen for PC so far. So yes, I will totally recommend having a gaming PC this year.

But we still need to resolve the debate if PlayStation exclusives are better than Nintendo exclusives or not.

Should we make a survey (I love surveys) about what is the best combination: PC+WiiU, PC+PS4 or PC+XB1. Lets do it!

Around the Network

First and foremost, it depends on what types of games you want to play.

Platformers no longer interest me and I'm not a fan of the Mario characters and design aesthetic. I like racing sims more than kart racers and I much prefer 3D fighting games over 2D. The Wii U does have games I want to play but none of them are vital to me. By the time Halo rolls out, the Xbox One will already be a better second console for me, relative to my individual tastes.

Objectively speaking, I'd also say that the Xbox One/PS4 will probably eventually make a better secondary console. The main reason for that is this year's E3. It's convinced me that the total library of the Wii U is going to end up with less exclusive content than even the Xbox One, as they both will live much longer life cycles with longer effective support. Moreover, the PS4/XO will probably have more variety in that exclusive content, given that Microsoft seems much more focused on first party games than ever before.

Honestly, with games like Fire Emblem and Pokemon, the 3DS is a much better choice as a Nintendo second console than the Wii U.

The wild card relative to the Xbox One, however, is the PC. Owning a gaming PC does mitigate the need for an XO to some degree. I'll eventually buy Ori from Steam, as an example.

WiiU still has way better exclusives than Ps4 or XBO

Oh but the conference was shit so all wiiu games suddlenly don´t exists anymore.

Both consoles are going to need years to match the level of exclusives on WiiU even if the console dies tomorrow.

Goodnightmoon said:

Oh but the conference was shit so all wiiu games suddlenly don´t exists anymore.

Both consoles are going to need years to match the level of exclusives on WiiU even if the console dies tomorrow.

Please fucking read the OP before posting.

I'm one of those weirdos that has the WiiU as a primary console. Granted, I had some catching up with some 7th gen games like AC4, Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Need for Speed.

I could have played all these games on my 360. But late in the 360's life, I got bored with it. The WiiU inspired me.

I actually didn't own a Wii before, so I've had the back catalog there to work through as well.

The 2nd screen experience is really underrated. And it's been done right more often than you might think on WiiU (it's actually the 3rd party and indie games that make better use of this). Off-screen play by itself is really convenient, especially if you have a roommate or spouse that has crappy taste in TV :P

What's problematic about PS4 and X1's biggest exclusives and many other games are that they are massive games. That's great for marathon play sessions, but doesn't cater well to folks who may only get gaming time in 15-30 minute increments (e.g. working adults). However, those short play sessions play right into the wheelhouse of games like MK8, Smash, and Splatoon.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

DerNebel said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Please fucking read the OP before posting.

I read the OP

You are trying to say that WiiU is just the worst console to have this generation, primary or secondary, but it still having better exclusives than ps4/xbo combined right now, so hardly can be a worse secondary console than Ps4 or Xbo

Also the kind of games on Xbo and Ps4 are pretty similar, while WiiU is pretty different on that regard, so it makes more sense as a secondary console than Ps4/xbo because adds variety.

And dont be so f*cking aggresive.