By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky fully won me over this E3.

AnthonyW86 said:
It's scale is incredible, but for me it's actually way to big. I like to be able to finish a game at some point and move on to the next. This looks like it has no end.

There IS an end to the game and that's the centre of the universe. I think it's going to be an ironic discovery. In a game that has used procedural generation to solve a problem, we'll discover that the universe and US are in fact procedurally generated. Once you've discovered the centre of the universe you can carry on just like you can in GTA.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:

What i'm curious to know is how they plan to save planets? Will they appear in the same spot in the same solar system every time?

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the whole universe is procedural generated, but it will be the same for everyone. I would then assume you can upload your data to a server and you could find other people's planets. They talked about meeting other humans (not sure if they mean NPCs or other gamers).

I feel like we will be all in the same galaxy. I think it was a one time procedureal generation that created the galaxy (they did not have time to craft a billion planets by hand)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
Mystro-Sama said:

What i'm curious to know is how they plan to save planets? Will they appear in the same spot in the same solar system every time?

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the whole universe is procedural generated, but it will be the same for everyone. I would then assume you can upload your data to a server and you could find other people's planets. They talked about meeting other humans (not sure if they mean NPCs or other gamers).

I feel like we will be all in the same galaxy. I think it was a one time procedureal generation that created the galaxy (they did not have time to craft a billion planets by hand)

Well they use a procedural system similar to the system used back in the 90s in certain games like Daggerfall and Virtual Hydlide.  Basically, it's a mathematical equation/formula that generates the world (the world being based on the equation's result).  As such, the world is always the same but the data for whole planet sized levels is never saved.  Basically, there is no file for the planets just the resources used to make the planet.   So as you approach the planet it is generated, but since the generation is based on math it is always the same.

Nuvendil said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Well they use a procedural system similar to the system used back in the 90s in certain games like Daggerfall and Virtual Hydlide.  Basically, it's a mathematical equation/formula that generates the world (the world being based on the equation's result).  As such, the world is always the same but the data for whole planet sized levels is never saved.  Basically, there is no file for the planets just the resources used to make the planet.   So as you approach the planet it is generated, but since the generation is based on math it is always the same.

ya like I said, except I think they will save certain data point. Like the beacons. When you aproach a planet it will procedurally generate, then very specific things will load. When use a beacon, it saves, sends my save to the server. When someone else goes to that planet at some point it will load what I did at said beacon. They seemed to indicate people would come across your discoveries. 

psn- tokila

tokilamockingbrd said:
Nuvendil said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
Mystro-Sama said:

ya like I said, except I think they will save certain data point. Like the beacons. When you aproach a planet it will procedurally generate, then very specific things will load. When use a beacon, it saves, sends my save to the server. When someone else goes to that planet at some point it will load what I did at said beacon. They seemed to indicate people would come across your discoveries. 

Yea, that's what i'm trying to figure out.

Around the Network
Aerys said:
How can you destroy planets ?

With your gun. I'm pretty sure there are other ways but that's the only one we've actually seen so far.

Mystro-Sama said:
Aerys said:
How can you destroy planets ?

With your gun. I'm pretty sure there are other ways but that's the only one we've actually seen so far.

It will take time

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

tokilamockingbrd said:
Nuvendil said:

That's how I've interpreted it too. You discover a planet and it's been procedurally generated. You name your discovered planet (otherwise it assigns a name) and sends your data to the server based on your actions at said planet. The next player that sees this planet can't change the name and whilst the planet is procedurally generated, the results of the previous player/discoverers actions are loaded from the server and plain to see.

Burner37 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Burner37 said:
It's quite the opposite for me. The original concept is awesome but it looks more and more like there is nothing to do in this game except exploring empty planets. No quests have been shown, the space combats look too basic and it seems that the big spaceship and space station are here just for decoration.

Actually there is a lot we don't know yet. I learned a bunch of shit from that one GT video that was never mentioned before. I'm theres even more too.

I hope the points that are bothering me will be proved wrong but the game should come out in not so long and I'm surprised thay haven't addressed them yet.

They're a small Indie studio and I get the distinct feeling they're not sure how to market this game. It seems to me they'd rather players discover the intricacies of the game themselves and be surprised than them telling you about them before hand.

Scoobes said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
Nuvendil said:

That's how I've interpreted it too. You discover a planet and it's been procedurally generated. You name your discovered planet (otherwise it assigns a name) and sends your data to the server based on your actions at said planet. The next player that sees this planet can't change the name and whilst the planet is procedurally generated, the results of the previous player/discoverers actions are loaded from the server and plain to see.

If the game has you competing for space exploration against everyone else that has the game it will be epic. If it just a solo thing it will be fun for a while. I will get it either way, but if it is the former the game could be huge.

psn- tokila