By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't they make every ds game 3d.

I was wondering this, too, and here's what I came up with: For better or for worse, most of the third-party devs who want to make an epic 3D handheld game make it for the PSP, which is better suited for that type of game.

Of course, Nintendo themselves haven't made a ton of 3D games for it (though they've made a fair amount: I can think of Mario 64, NSMB, Zelda, Nintendogs, Metroid, and Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan). The only other dev that seems to be embracing the DS' relatively powerful 3D engine (and it IS powerful for a handheld, it's just that the PSP is much MORE powerful, making DS look weak).

Square has taken advantage of its' 3D capabilities more than any other dev (possibly including Nintendo themselves), as they have FFIII, Kingdom Hearts, FFIV, V, and VI, ASH, and probably a few other epics either out now or underway that are fully 3D. Also, many of their 2D games feature 3D elements. There are also a few other valiant efforts, such as Brothers in Arms and Call of Duty 4.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
Alasted said:
Because they don't need to be?

Neither did the n64 or ps1. Do you say they needed 3d graphics. Or how bout the gc ps2 xbox and dreamcast. Like others said it matters on the game.

I'm glad they don't make it.  also, I believe this is one of the reasons that there are a lot of underrated DS games.

I really think it depends on the game, and the way the 3D is done. it can be done really well, Phantom Hourglass and DQM: Joker, however, it NEEDS more $$, which I believe it's not the case with a lot of the games.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Tell me if Super mario galaxy would have been better in 2d.

mM

Some games are better left off in 2D. Kirby and Sonic anyone?

And I'd seriously rather have 2D gaming kept alive, if most DS games are in 3D then the 2D gaming would be dead. If I want 3D games, I'd play the consoles.

...Although I do wish that 2D games will make a comeback in consoles ;_;

Around the Network
leo-j said:

Leo, how do you jump from "not all games are better in 3d" to "all games are better in 2d"?

some games are suited to 3d, those games are done in 3d, some games are better suited to 2d, those games are done in 2d, it isn't an issue of capabilities, it's an issue of style and necessity. Just because the DS is CAPABLE of doing 3d games does not mean that it NEEDS to.

It's like trying to tell someone they aren't a gamer if they don't own Brawl. I do own brawl, but it's hardly the point by which my gamer status is judged to be true or not.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Some games just work better in 2D.

Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure, for example.

---------------
The Board is the best site on the Internet.

All consoles are clearly capable of doing 2D. Why don't they make more 2D games for them?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

some developers dont want to spend a lot of money on making adventure games 3d, and also some games are better left 2d than 3d like Sonic and Kirby.

leo-j said:

That remindedme of this lol

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."