By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem Fates to have two versions in the West as well

tbone51 said:
outlawauron said:

What makes Pokemon not horrible is that you don't need both versions. You have to buy both versions of Fire Embelm to get the full game.

But they are 2 full games, so...?

Calling them 2 full games is an insult to entire series.

They're separating what should just be the Casual difficult/campaign into a separate purchase.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Dont get the hate, its 2 full games. Im getting both, FE is one of the best franchises ever made.

IRONICALLY though..... I bet if only white version came out, and black version released 2 years later that was an alt story to white nobody be complaining lol.

FE Fates = 2 Full Games. People mad for the wrong reasons. Also as some pointed out, you can buy the second one most likely as DLC for roughly $15-$20. So $55/$60 for 2 full FE games.

Do you have a source that details the length/content of each version? If you're right, then yeah, we all need to shut up. We'll know for sure in about a week though.

SuperNova said:
sc94597 said:

In the Japanese version it was described as you playing the first six chapters and then you "DOWNLOAD" whichever path you choose. You can also buy the path you didn't choose for a reduced rate of around $15. So unless it has changed for the U.S version, you don't decide beforehand which path you will choose. 

So, if i buy the white version and then decide at the splitting point I'd rather play the black side, I don't have to pay anything?

I only have to pay the $15 if I then go back and replay the game? If so, good on them, this is the first time I hear of this. I thought once you'd bought a side you were stuck with it unless you paid additional moey (i.a. $15).

I'd still prefer it if black and white were one game and the third path was available as $15 dlc, but if this is true it's not as bad as I thought.

Ah nevermind. You only get to choose if you buy the digital version. Otherwise you are stuck with whichever copy you bought retail. I thought it was going to be the case that everything was on one cart and then when you chose a path the other one is locked out behind the $15 paywall. That would make much more sense for a Western release in my opinion.

sc94597 said:

Ah nevermind. You only get to choose if you buy the digital version. Otherwise you are stuck with whichever copy you bought retail. I thought it was going to be the case that everything was on one cart and then when you chose a path the other one is locked out behind the $15 paywall. That would make much more sense for a Western release in my opinion.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

Shame that it's not the way you thought after all, that would have been cool. 

I guess this might be a compelling argument for going digital then. But I love physical! :(

I have the same problem with the double pack. I assume it's the two retail versions in one pack and not both on one card? I want the physical version, but with the convienience of digital, not having to swap carts to play the other side and having the dlc at a unified place too.

If I want all that at japanense prices I'd pay 60$ for the game and another 10-15$ for the dlc? So 70-75$ on one 3ds game if I want the full experience. It's a lot of content and probably worth it, but that is one hefty pricetag.

SuperNova said:

If I want all that at japanense prices I'd pay 60$ for the game and another 10-15$ for the dlc? So 70-75$ on one 3ds game if I want the full experience. It's a lot of content and probably worth it, but that is one hefty pricetag.

It's probably a lot more content than Fire Emblem Awakening + Awakening's DLC, which cost about $90-100 depending on when you purchased things. So other than the convenience factor, I view this as a much better deal. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
SuperNova said:

It's probably a lot more content than Fire Emblem Awakening + Awakening's DLC, which cost about $90-100 depending on when you purchased things. So other than the convenience factor, I view this as a much better deal. 

Yeah, Awakening DlC was pretty expensive imo. In a way I like this one better, because it seems to have a more meaningful integration into the story, being the neutral path. On the other hand I feel way more compelled to actually drop money on it because of that, when I could still ignore the awakening dlc a little better.

But when you put it like that, it does seem like a better deal. I'd be way happier about all this if I wasn't currently at a somewhat tight budget. ;)

Either way, it's a bold move by Nintendo.

sc94597 said:
SuperNova said:

I'm not so sure. The base Awakening game had about 50 maps in it, between the main missions and the paralogues, and supposedly the combined campaigns here weigh in at the mid-50's, I believe. So $40 of Awakening almost gets the same amount of maps as $55 of Fates. And while the Awakening DLC was unquestionably overpriced, it remains to be seen if Fates doesn't have the same DLC scheme. I'd be surprised if it didn't, to be honest.

noname2200 said:
sc94597 said:
SuperNova said:

I'm not so sure. The base Awakening game had about 50 maps in it, between the main missions and the paralogues, and supposedly the combined campaigns here weigh in at the mid-50's, I believe. So $40 of Awakening almost gets the same amount of maps as $55 of Fates. And while the Awakening DLC was unquestionably overpriced, it remains to be seen if Fates doesn't have the same DLC scheme. I'd be surprised if it didn't, to be honest.

It been said that Fates is the longest (chapter-wise and length-wise) Fire-Emblem game. Considering the DLC is equivalent to another "version" that means you are getting at least the same amount of content as Awakening for less of a price. We already know the price of the DLC, if we are to assume the Japanese prices will transfer over.  It is 9200 yen or about $75 for both versions + DLC campaign in the combined package. 

sc94597 said:

It been said that Fates is the longest (chapter-wise and length-wise) Fire-Emblem game. Considering the DLC is equivalent to another "version" that means you are getting at least the same amount of content as Awakening for less of a price. We already know the price of the DLC, if we are to assume the Japanese prices will transfer over.  It is 9200 yen or about $75 for both versions + DLC campaign in the combined package. 

I took the quote to mean that Fates is the longest when the two versions were combined. Admittedly it is left ambiguous, but I don't think we can assume White and Black are each longer than, say Radiant Dawn, which I believe is the longest game to date, since that would be a ton of game.

noname2200 said:
sc94597 said:

I took the quote to mean that Fates is the longest when the two versions were combined. Admittedly it is left ambiguous, but I don't think we can assume White and Black are each longer than, say Radiant Dawn, which I believe is the longest game to date, since that would be a ton of game.

Yes, that is how I take it to mean as well. It seems (combined) to be longer than Radiant Dawn, which retailed for $50 in 2007 ($57 in today's money.) However, we have no idea if that chapter estimate (28 chapters each, with 6 mutual chapters) includes an equivalent of paralogues (from FE:A.)