By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fire Emblem Fates to have two versions in the West as well

think-man said:
Faelco said:

Are they the same game with different play styles?

I edited my previous post :

For the differences between both versions : (http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem:_Fates)

• The Hoshido path will have a traversable map similar to AwakeningSacred Stones, and Gaiden. The player can level up characters outside of the storyline chapters by paying a fee to initiate a Skirmish, similar to using a Reeking Box. Like Awakening, map victory conditions will mostly be either rout the enemy or defeat the boss.
    • The Nohr path will be more structured, having no external battles outside of the storyline chapters much like most previous Fire Emblem titles. Experience and funds are much more limited and more victory conditions will be present such as defending a base, breaking through the enemy lines, and turn restrictions for certain maps.

They are 2 different stories with the same gameplay mechanics but different classes and play styles (different kinds of objectives mean different play style). I hope the maps will be different as well. And White Kingdom (Hoshido) will be easier. Like in Awakening, if you're not able to rout the enemy, go train your units with side battles and come back. In Nohr, if you're not able to complete the objective, re-think your strategy and try again (or give up and go play Hoshido ^^).

Around the Network

Seems a poor choice, given it's taken over a decade for Fire Emblem to find some level of commercial success in the West.

The stand-alone versions should have a lower retail price, and there should be a double pack priced reasonably. I think we'll see a double pack, but I'm not optimistic it'll be reasonably priced.

Asriel said:
Seems a poor choice, given it's taken over a decade for Fire Emblem to find some level of commercial success in the West.

The stand-alone versions should have a lower retail price, and there should be a double pack priced reasonably. I think we'll see a double pack, but I'm not optimistic it'll be reasonably priced.

In Japan the second version can be downloaded as a DLC for $15 while the first version is something like $45. There is also a special edition that is $80, which includes both versions and other typical special edition stuff. 

To get both versions in the U.S it would likely cost less than $60. 

sc94597 said:

In Japan the second version can be downloaded as a DLC for $15 while the first version is something like $45. There is also a special edition that is $80, which includes both versions and other typical special edition stuff. 

To get both versions in the U.S it would likely cost less than $60. 

Thanks, I didn't know about Japanese pricing. If they did a double pack that was around £40, or a special edition for a bit more than that, I'd be ok with it. It could be a while before we know about the pricing, though.

I maintain that it sort of defeats the purpose of choosing between the two factions, if you have to make the choice before even playing the game! They might as well have done away with the whole splitting path prequel chapter and just have you play through alternative universe storys. The fact that they presented this as some kind of revolutionary players choice thing when in reality once you've bought the game you have zero influence on the proceedings of the game unless you dish out the dollars is stupid and misleading imo.

That aside, I'm still excited for the game and can't wait to play it.

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
I maintain that it sort of defeats the purpose of choosing between the two factions, if you have to make the choice before even playing the game! They might as well have done away with the whole splitting path prequel chapter and just have you play through alternative universe storys. The fact that they presented this as some kind of revolutionary players choice thing when in reality once you've bought the game you have zero influence on the proceedings of the game unless you dish out the dollars is stupid and misleading imo.

In the Japanese version it was described as you playing the first six chapters and then you "DOWNLOAD" whichever path you choose. You can also buy the path you didn't choose for a reduced rate of around $15. So unless it has changed for the U.S version, you don't decide beforehand which path you will choose. 

I am reconsidering purchasing it. 60% chance I will get the White version, though.

sc94597 said:
SuperNova said:

In the Japanese version it was described as you playing the first six chapters and then you "DOWNLOAD" whichever path you choose. You can also buy the path you didn't choose for a reduced rate of around $15. So unless it has changed for the U.S version, you don't decide beforehand which path you will choose. 

So, if i buy the white version and then decide at the splitting point I'd rather play the black side, I don't have to pay anything?

I only have to pay the $15 if I then go back and replay the game? If so, good on them, this is the first time I hear of this. I thought once you'd bought a side you were stuck with it unless you paid additional moey (i.a. $15).

I'd still prefer it if black and white were one game and the third path was available as $15 dlc, but if this is true it's not as bad as I thought.

I don't care about this game. I don't like strategy games and Fire Emblem: Awakening did nothing to make me like them. Now I'm glad that I didn't like Fire Emblem.

But this makes me question Nintendo's management even more. First they revealed that aweful Animal Crossing game as Wii U exclusive and that required Amiibos, basically making you pay $13 for each one. Then Star Fox Zero with its 2006 PS3 level graphics. Now this. Nintendo is trying to get as much money from its existing fanbase as they can and sadly it seems they have convinced many people to do that looking at other comments in this thread. After Wii U's bad support this is unacceptable but if fans still buy this then oh well remember that Nintendo will continue to expand into this kinda stuff and you'll be the ones to blame.

That's retarded. Why would they do that?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.