By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Discussion Thread

HOLY S*IT!!!!!!!!!!!! 145 72.14%

NO, NO!!! ITS NOT TRUE, P... 10 4.98%

YES, YES!!!!!!!! 45 22.39%

Total:200

It seems Xbox live is having some issues at the moment, I wonder why... :)

Around the Network

Well done Microsoft! Great conference overall.

Lets hope that Nintendo and Microsoft serve as examples to Sony, so ps4 becomes BC as well. Eliminates the 'need' for those damn remasters. And I wouldn't have to buy a ps3 to play my ps3 games if I someday end up buying a ps4 (yeah I own games for a system I don't own)

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Zappykins said:
vivster said:
Zappykins said:

Um, what?  No, they are very different.

Under the hood, the original Xbox has more in common with the Xbox One than the 360.

The similarities is they both run DirectX - which is usually very backwards compatible, except the break from 9 to 10.  And Xbox One is DirectX 12, while 360 is DirectX 9.  (For reference the original Xbox is DX 8.)

That they got an emulator on the Xbox One to run X360 games and with improved rates is quite a nice accomplishment.

I'll believe that there is an emulator when I see it. From the info we have now and the fact that you have to download the whole game with a pretty small library of games it is clear for me that they merely ported 360 games to the X1 with the DVD as the license key. I really doubt there is any emulating involved.

I take it you are not a computer programmer, or computer tech.  The hardware on the 360 is very different than the Xbox One.  I'm not even sure what to say to 'I really doubt there is any emulating involved.'  It's kind of like saying a car that run on diesel could run on gasoline with no modifications.  But actually more different than that.

Yes, 100 games is a ‘small library’ lol.  It's more than I own.

Your rply is confirming that his opinion is right, Because the hardware or i say the architecture of Xbox One  CPU is too different then  Xbox 360,  it's imposible to directly emulate the game's,  unless it's runing on Super computer ( a very powerful spec) and i doubt even Intel core i 7 with 8 core able to emulated, more so on Xbox One. So maybe it's posible that the games is just a raw port like PS2 and PS1 games on  Playstaion Network that need to be download it.

HollyGamer said:
Zappykins said:
vivster said:

I'll believe that there is an emulator when I see it. From the info we have now and the fact that you have to download the whole game with a pretty small library of games it is clear for me that they merely ported 360 games to the X1 with the DVD as the license key. I really doubt there is any emulating involved.

I take it you are not a computer programmer, or computer tech.  The hardware on the 360 is very different than the Xbox One.  I'm not even sure what to say to 'I really doubt there is any emulating involved.'  It's kind of like saying a car that run on diesel could run on gasoline with no modifications.  But actually more different than that.

Yes, 100 games is a ‘small library’ lol.  It's more than I own.

Your rply is confirming that his opinion is right, Because the hardware or i say the architecture of Xbox One  CPU is too different then  Xbox 360,  it's imposible to directly emulate the game's,  unless it's runing on Super computer ( a very powerful spec) and i doubt even Intel core i 7 with 8 core able to emulated, more so on Xbox One. So maybe it's posible that the games is just a raw port like PS2 and PS1 games on  Playstaion Network that need to be download it.

What?  Oh, I think I follow.  So you are saying Microsoft will convert every game for the developer?

You don't need to emulate the exact CPU etc, it's all within DirectX, so you just let that run. 

Fun Fact the Xbox 360 is basically a super computer from a few years earlier (eventhough it's 10 year old hardware.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Aeolus451 said:

I more or less agree with you but I still think that people are overreacting to it. The feature only means something to 360 owners because they are the only ones that benefit from it. I suppose that's who they are targetting with it though. 

I didn't know that the wii u was backwards compatible.

Actually, several of the games have been on Xbox Live Games for Gold, so you have them even if you only have a PC and just clicked 'download' when the game came out.

Not sure if you always have access to the game (as in the 360) or only while you have Xbox Live Gold (as they are on the Xbox One and PS4.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Insidb said:
It's great, unless it's implemented in the way BC usually is. Anyone remember the days of PS2 BC "working" on a large library of games, only to have many of them glitch out and/or crash? The current list of games for X1 is, in a word, underwhelming. While I expect that to expand, I'm most over the hype of BC and the lackluster implementation.

I never had a problem with BC on any console except Xbox 360.  In all of the other instances (DS, PSP, Wii, Wii U, PS2, PS3, Vita, 3DS) the BC had always worked great, often improving the older game's performance.  Hoping XB1 gets a huge library and fixes some performance issues in order games.  Even the glitchy 360 backwards comp raised resolution in lots of games.

I remember so many PS1 games being virtually unplayable (All of the FF remake discs had a knack for freezing at certain points, effectively prematurely ending the games.). By the time PS3 came out (I got the MGS fat version.), I was mostly over it. I actually had the same problems with the discs that were problematic on the PS2. I think it means more to platform switchers than anyone else, because having no history with the library makes BC the perfect opportunity to catch up.

Zappykins said:

What?  Oh, I think I follow.  So you are saying Microsoft will convert every game for the developer?

You don't need to emulate the exact CPU etc, it's all within DirectX, so you just let that run. 

Fun Fact the Xbox 360 is basically a super computer from a few years earlier (eventhough it's 10 year old hardware.)

It's not that simple,  direct X worked on X86 CPU but not on Power PC games from Xbox 360, If you saying Xbox 360 is Super Computer, then it will become more imposible for Xbox One to emulate Xbox 360 games even on software level, the cheapest way is to add Xbox 360 CPU on every Xbox One and the expensive one is to make Xbox One CPU the same with  Power PC architecture but more powerful.  But i guess we just have to wait and see how does it work, but my guess is not emulation (sofware ) but simply port like how SONY did with PS2 and PS1 games on PS Network.

HollyGamer said:

It's not that simple,  direct X worked on X86 CPU but not on Power PC games from Xbox 360, If you saying Xbox 360 is Super Computer, then it will become more imposible for Xbox One to emulate Xbox 360 games even on software level, the cheapest way is to add Xbox 360 CPU on every Xbox One and the expensive one is to make Xbox One CPU the same with  Power PC architecture but more powerful.  But i guess we just have to wait and see how does it work, but my guess is not emulation (sofware ) but simply port like how SONY did with PS2 and PS1 games on PS Network.

The Xbox One is many times MORE POWERFUL than a Xbox 360.

The Xbox One CPU is different than the Xbox 360, runs at a lower rate, but still much more powerful.  (The CPU on the Xbox One also runs a little faster than the PS4 and NO the Xbox One is not a Power PC it's an AMD 8 core).

All Xbox, even the 360, run DirectX - it's where the X of Xbox comes from 'The DirectXbox'  so yea, even the Power PC used DirectX. 

Microsoft is traditionally really good with backward compatibility - so much so that it's held them back.  

Tell me a funny joke!

A welcome move but Nintendo are running rings around them on this, it should have happened day one
and 100 games is only a portion of the 360 library.
Surely if XBone had a better library we would care less about this?

Not a big deal to me but whatever man, some people just like to play their last gen games.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5