By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Downloading Bloodborne, 40 GB on PS4, Sony should really compress their games like Steam

Steam does this excellent Lossless compression for huge games such as GTA V, I downloaded GTA V and it was pretty big, but it was pretty forgiving (don't remember how big it was). After the download finished it went into "decompressing" phase which while it took a bit of time, it's way better than downloading the full 65 GB size of the full game. 

Now on PS4 Bloodborne is downloaded in two parts, one is 10 GB and the other is 40 GB, along with the update patch which is 6 GB I believe. 

Sony doesn't use any compression tools on their PSN store or PS4, which would save a lot of bandwidth for them and a lot of time downloading games. And since after all, you'll still have to install the game nevertheless so now the time to get the game working is ever longer. 

I don't know if it Is the same on xbox but buying full games online on Sony  consoles is pretty painful, especially when you do not live in a country with fast Internet (6mbps is my I speed)

I also heard that GTA V on PSN is around 60 gigs and you can't play it by parts like bloodborne does. So that's even a bigger pain. 

Around the Network

They do compress the games.

TLOUR was something like 25GB unpacked, but only required me to download 7-12GB.

It's Bloodborne, even downloading the game must be a challenge.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Bloodborne is a pretty big game.

It's gonna take a while, regardless.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

sabvre42 said:
They do compress the games.

TLOUR was something like 25GB unpacked, but only required me to download 7-12GB.

You think it is rockstar's fault? I remember the payne of downloading max payne 3 (pun intended) which was 50 gigs. Funny enough I barely played it.

Around the Network

Or, they could get faster servers...

I get 30-32MBs on Origin, Steam and GOG, Sony severs are terribly slow and eve system updates can take 3-4 minutes to download and some patches in the 1GB region can take over 20 minutes.

There is some compression.

But compression affect how you play while download.

You start to play Bloodborne at few GBs because that.

Welcome to next gen, the 9th gen is going to have to be streaming the games or something since games will likely be 100 GB by then.

As long as the servers of Sony are good than for me it's not a problem. Usually PSN hovers around 30 - 40 Mbps for me but sometimes it's slow, I'm still wondering why it isn't higher for PSN since with my 160Mbps line getting around 12 - 15MB download speed on Origin or Steam is common when servers aren't busy. Then it is annoying when you have a big game to download.

I remember that after downloading 7 - 10GB, don't remember the amount that I already was able to play the multiplayer of the Last of Us while it continued downloading. In parts is a solution at least. Compressing games can be a solution for big games but then you have an installation again. If you don't have fast internet than that would obviously be a better option I guess

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

And that's why it's a bad idea to buy digital games on consoles.

I'm now filled with determination.