By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Looks like Wii U will beat GameCube in Japan this year.

Will WU sell more than 608,200 unit this year in japan?

Yes. 71 74.74%

No. 23 24.21%

Total:94

That is like saying the NY Yankees single A minor league team may win their division this year.... It means something but not much

Around the Network

Well, hopefully it does, because the GameCube did really badly

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Ryng_Tolu said:

WU is going to sell around 2.8-3 million by end of this year... That's say, GC sold 4 million lt.

Another 1 million for WU by 2016... not so unluky imo. depend when the new home will release. 2016 is not the home time. Is withouth doubt the handheld, or even nothing.

Let me said:

2017: WU will not beat GC.

2018: WU will beat GC.

A price-cut for the Wii U is absolutely essential here if it's going to have any legs into 2017 and 2018 (because by that time the PS4 will probably be $300).  The problem is that I don't know if Nintendo cares enough about boosting hardware sales for the Wii U at this point to actually give it a price-cut.  Whether the Wii U ends up selling 15 million or 20 million units world wide might not matter much to Nintendo now.  They probably would like to just focus on extracting profit from software sales and not worry about taking a loss on hardware with the Wii U and just hope for better luck next generation.

I think people are forgetting that the GCN was released at a time in Japan where home consoles were still a relatively popular thing. For the Wii U to potentially beat it in a market that has dramatically downsized isn't such a small feat.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Yes, I think it's a good bet. Wii U also has more important games hitting Japan this year than before, so let's see how things will turn out (hopefully it can be its best year!).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

Shocked that Wii U is up YoY after MK8 last year! Good for Wii U! I'd say yes, definitely possible to beat GC this year. It just needs to stay consistent until the holidays and then, holiday boost will push it past easily.

We have SMTxFE and Harvest Moon for holiday. Maybe another big Japan-centric game announcement for E3 will help?

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

I will say I am surprised that the wii u is having a stronger year in terms of software sales then I expected(4 titles over 100k(kirby will get there eventually(great legs of mk8 and sbu) a new IP destroying expectations big time(wasnt the average like 52k first week and it beat that by almost 100k then held very well the week after.

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Ryng_Tolu said:

Who fucking cares?

You cared enough to reply, keep cherry picking those Japanese numbers though ;)

I just hope Nintendo does some serious reflecting when they look at these sales numbers.

Back in the seventh generation, I thought it was strange how low the GameCube's sales were. Now it makes a little more sense.