By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why did Japanese publishers save the Vita?

Vita was just a platform that Japan publishers preferred, with the their games matching the demographic who used Vita.

I'm not sure if they really "saved" the Vita, though.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
LipeJJ said:
I wouldn't say they "saved" the Vita, but they helped it a lot. If it wasn't for them, Vita would be selling like the 360 right now. I think they gave it a chance because it was the perfect platform to realize their niche games. Notice how big japanese games, like MH, FF, DQ, Yokai Watch, etc. never appeared on Vita.

360 numbers? This is impossible for a Japanese console! 

XB360 sold 1.7 million lifetime, and was a 3/4 k basis in the firsts year... is not impossible for a Japan console sell those numbers. I think some guys underestimate what was the XB360 in Japan... yes, it flopped hard, but not so hard like some people think. (not at the 200-300 of the XBO)

After that, i doubt PSV was selling at the XB360 level withouth third party support like LipeJJ said...

small44 said:

Most of the games are port and niche games that's a bad support,vita support was never good

And niche games are doing better on vita then 3ds

God Eater 2: Rage Burst, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Sword Art Online: Lost Song, Minecraft and Super Robot Z3 released all in 2015 for PS Vita. Persona 4: Dancing All Night, SaGa 2015, KanColle Kai, Tokyo Xanadu... are all going to release in 2015. 
Bad support? PS Vita support is decent in Japan. 

Skullwaker said:
You say that as if the 3DS doesn't get lesser third party releases, when games like Hatsune Miku, The Legend of Legacy, Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Theatrythm Dragon Quest, etc. have recently released amongst a slew of anime games and larger third party releases, with more on the horizon like Dragon Ball, Stella Glow, Ace Attorney, Project X Zone 2, Langrisser, etc.

Anyhow, the Vita is a safe haven for niche titles in Japan. God Eater wouldn't work on 3DS because it wouldn't be able to compete with Monster Hunter. Basically, some titles just wouldn't get the same recognition on the 3DS as their presence would be overshadowed. It's a good way to ensure profit or at least some publicity when a publisher chooses the PSVita as their platform (at least in Japan).

You can hardly call Square Enix titles as lesser third party releases.

Etrian has been a mainstay on Nintendo platforms. Miku is actually an interesting example to use because the 3DS one is similar but not quite like the PSP/Vita titles before it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soundwave said:

They haven't really saved anything, big third parties like Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix still generally avoid the Vita like a plague, giving it token support at best. It won't come close to sniffing the PSP's LTD in Japan.

Capcom brought us Street Fighter x Tekken and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Resident Evil Revelations 2 will release on Vita this year. We could see Street Fighter V coming to Vita in the future too. Capcom's supports the Vita very bad, but at least there are some Capcom games on Vita!

Square-Enix brought us Final Fantasy X / X2 HD Remaster and the WRC games. SaGa 2015, Final Fanatasy Agito+ and Dragon Quest Heroes 2 will release on Vita soon. Square Enix supports the Vita quite good imo, Final Fantasy X / X2 HD Remaster and the WRC games were good games and SaGa 2015 as an big exclusive Vita game is good too. Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is also a big AAA game.

Konami... We got Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Asphalt: Injection and Silent Hill: Book of Memories. But the future doesn't look good for Vita games. 

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
You can hardly call Square Enix titles as lesser third party releases.

Etrian has been a mainstay on Nintendo platforms. Miku is actually an interesting example to use because the 3DS one is similar but not quite like the PSP/Vita titles before it.

Well, it is Theatrhythm, so I definitely wouldn't call it a major release either. 

But anyways, it's kind of a moot point in this context that Etrian is a Nintendo mainstay because some titles in the OP are PlayStation mainstays, such as God Eater, Persona, etc. 

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Dr.Vita said:
small44 said:

Most of the games are port and niche games that's a bad support,vita support was never good

And niche games are doing better on vita then 3ds

God Eater 2: Rage Burst, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Sword Art Online: Lost Song, Minecraft and Super Robot Z3 released all in 2015 for PS Vita. Persona 4: Dancing All Night, SaGa 2015, KanColle Kai, Tokyo Xanadu... are all going to release in 2015. 
Bad support? PS Vita support is decent in Japan. 

No Metal gear solid,no Final fantasy,no kingdoms heart,no real monster hunter game vita need those games to boost it's sales so the install base increase and by that help niche games to sell better

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Fusioncode said:
Soundwave said:

They haven't really saved anything, big third parties like Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix still generally avoid the Vita like a plague, giving it token support at best. It won't come close to sniffing the PSP's LTD in Japan.

"Saved" in relative terms. It's right about 4m in Japan which is more than anyone expected after it's disastrous first few months. 

Well, i huge disagree with this... after a bad start in 2012, some people still expect way more. sure more than 4 million lifetime.

Fusioncode said:

So this is something I'm curious about. When the Vita came it out it bombed. It bombed pretty hard. Nobody was developing for it outside of a couple exclusives from Sony released each year. In Japan every 3rd party was flocking to 3DS in the beginning. Games were getting announced for that platform left and right. And then on a dime, everything changed. For some reason the Vita started to get a ton of Japanese support. To the point where it was getting most of the mid-tier and small-tier releases. Sure the major franchises like Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter stayed on 3DS but what about everything else? Toukiden, God Eater, Demon Gaze, Hatsune Miku, Persona 4, etc. all saw releases on Vita. Why not just put everything on 3DS? That's what they did with the PS2. Nobody was clamoring to put games on the GCN. It got to the point where the Vita actually managed to build a respectable install base in Japan and continues to get regular releases. 

So what happened? Was it just good old Sony loyalty? Japanese pubs still mad about Nintendo's scummy tactics in the 80s and 90s and now they're getting some revenge? 

I'm betting that there were some deals worked out with 3rd party publishers. After PS4 got all the sales I bet that they were willing to develop for Vita if it meant in the future they could develop for PS4. I could be wrong about it though.

Because the vita never bombed in japan