By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why did Japanese publishers save the Vita?

Dr.Vita said:
LipeJJ said:
I wouldn't say they "saved" the Vita, but they helped it a lot. If it wasn't for them, Vita would be selling like the 360 right now. I think they gave it a chance because it was the perfect platform to realize their niche games. Notice how big japanese games, like MH, FF, DQ, Yokai Watch, etc. never appeared on Vita.

360 numbers? This is impossible for a Japanese console! 

I meant worldwide. :p Because if the Vita sold in Japan how it's selling in NA, its WW numbers would be similar to what the 360 pulls these days.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

PSV is able to handle a lot of cross generation + the platform has a very dedicated base that will buy more of certain titles than other platforms.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Like Augen has pointed out, it's because those small to medium studios who develope games with a relatively low budget have found their success on the Vita's small install base.

.- -... -.-. -..

You say that as if the 3DS doesn't get lesser third party releases, when games like Hatsune Miku, The Legend of Legacy, Etrian Mystery Dungeon, Theatrythm Dragon Quest, etc. have recently released amongst a slew of anime games and larger third party releases, with more on the horizon like Dragon Ball, Stella Glow, Ace Attorney, Project X Zone 2, Langrisser, etc.

Anyhow, the Vita is a safe haven for niche titles in Japan. God Eater wouldn't work on 3DS because it wouldn't be able to compete with Monster Hunter. Basically, some titles just wouldn't get the same recognition on the 3DS as their presence would be overshadowed. It's a good way to ensure profit or at least some publicity when a publisher chooses the PSVita as their platform (at least in Japan).

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Because the Vita can render jiggle physics better... (?, jizz, help me out plox)

Around the Network

Because the Vita is doing okay in Japan so Japanese Devs still makes games for it

I've heard somewhere that the DS is considered to be more casual and the PSP hardcore in Japan

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
Because the Vita is doing okay in Japan so Japanese Devs still makes games for it

I've heard somewhere that the DS is considered to be more casual and the PSP hardcore in Japan

To be fair, that's considered the case everywhere.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

They didn't exactly save it, as much as they also harmed it. (Compared to PSP)

Capcom going from one camp to the other, did the most damage right away. Level 5 who could have also been a big player, but they decided to go to the Nintendo more so, and are now seemingly going to be going more mobile.

Right now it seems the savior is coming from a Western Title.

Most of the games are port and niche games that's a bad support,vita support was never good

And niche games are doing better on vita then 3ds

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Soundwave said:

They haven't really saved anything, big third parties like Capcom, Konami, and Square-Enix still generally avoid the Vita like a plague, giving it token support at best. It won't come close to sniffing the PSP's LTD in Japan.

"Saved" in relative terms. It's right about 4m in Japan which is more than anyone expected after it's disastrous first few months. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!