By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Sony winning the console war?

?

Marketing 259 26.84%

Fantastic games 207 21.45%

Big N and MS need to do a better job 296 30.67%

Cultists fans 92 9.53%

More mainstream 111 11.50%

Total:965

TheLastStarFighter said:
Because Europe. They dominate there. In North America, I'd say XBox is still the (slightly) bigger brand. I'm Canadian and I'd say it's like 55%XBox 45%PS4 among people I know. MS botched the launch a bit with One, mostly with the pricing. But since that was corrected most people are simply upgrading their PS360 to whatever they owned before. People like their online accounts.

Saying it's about the games is silly. The vast majority of buyers of either MS or Sony want to play the multiplats. Halo, Uncharted, etc are secondary titles to COD, FIFA, Madden, NHL, GTA, etc.

Nintendo is a whole other story. Their image is terrible and their product doesn't offer the third party mega hits. Combined with the online accounts from gen 7 that gamers want to keep, they have a hard road ahead converting customers. They just aren't in the discussion at the moment.

Huh? North America especially the United States has always leaned heavily Sony. The PS1 dominated, the PS2 dominated, only the PS3 struggled out of the gate due to price and lack of compelling software. The 360 had a full 1 year head start, and in the end that lead held true. Now the PS4 is winning big in North America and the PS4's lead in NA and the United States grows week by week. 

I would lean more towards what others are saying. This gen things simply returning to normal. The 360 was the right price, the right product at the right time (a year head start) and it was gobbled up and gained a market share in NA that Sony just couldn't win back, definitely not with the PS3. NA is NOT brand loyal they are best bargain loyal. If they were to lean anything it would be Sony as is eveident by the PS4 leading in this region in both hardware and software sales. 

Outside of that I agree on all other points. Especially what you've said about Nintendo. They have absolutely destroyed their image and as far as the Wii U goes, there is no saving it. The damage is done and Nintendo will have to really impress out of the gate in the next generation to win back the crowd of non Nintendo loyalist. 

Around the Network
naruball said:
marsoRa said:
Vasto said:

Because they have the best games out and the best games coming.

Mention them please, and dont come here with third parties please 

Lol. Wait, that's all?  You don't have any more "rules" to make sure a certain console looks better than the other?

This is mostly coming from Nintendo Fans cause they don't play this card
They will throw out rules that make their console not look as bad as it is and the same goes for Xbox People if it comes down to Japanese Games cause they don't get them either.

But lets compare

PS4                WiiU                  X1               

Exclusive Games                                             check             check              check              

So a handful of franchises from Nintendo we play now for 20+ years are enough reason to miss out on 99% of the games in the world?Yeah no - The customer doesn't think that way.Just cause of nostalgia i will buy a WiiU once Zelda drops or rather a "NX" now probably for the port =)
All of the machines have their high quality exclusives - I prefer an Uncharted 4 and stuff over Nintendo Franchises cause i played them more than enough
And some will prefer Halo on the Xbox
Then what is actually the reason behind those sales?Why is the X1 beating the WiiU too?Cause Halo and Forza can't be possible bigger than Mario,Zelda and > Nintendo IP <
The average customers looks at it that way if they want an easy way to play most of the games

PS4                    WiiU                                                              X1
Witcher 3                                                      YES                   LOL NO                                      YES but lower quality than PS4
MGS5                                                             YES                   LOL NO                                      YES but lower quality than PS4
Batman                                                          YES                   LOL NO                                      YES but lower quality than PS4
FIfa                                                                 YES                Seems not so this year              YES
COD                                                                YES                Even if no one plays here         YES but lower quality than PS4
SW BF3 biggest game of 2015                   YES                    HHAHAHAHA                          YES but probably lower quality than PS4
Rainbow Six Siege                                        YES                  No                                               YES
Destiny                                                           YES                          NO                                       YES lower quality than PS4
Dragon Age                                                    YES                         NO                                        YES lower quality than PS4
FF15                                                                 YES                  HAHAHAH                                  YES lower quality than PS4
KH3                                                                  YES                     Hahahaha                                Yes lower quality than PS4
Dark Souls                                                       YES                      HAHAHAH                               YES lqtPS4
AssaCreed/Ubisoft Games/EA Games        YES                     HASDHJDK                               YES
99% of new E3 Games from 3rd Party        YES                     Probably not 1                        YES

GRAND THEFT FUCKING AUTO                    YES              LOL NEVER                                         YES

FALLOUT 4 /BETHESDA GAMES                    YES                      NEVER                                      YES

Get it?You would miss out on all of those games
Be happy with playing Splatoon....the same shooter for like years now while PS4&X1 get tons to choose from all kinds of franchises
They get from every genre billions of games
And don't act like Splatoon is the best out of it - I like Star Wars and Rainbow Six Siege - I can't give a damn fart over Splattoon aka no Voice Chat Shooter
People want to play all the RPGs,Sports Games and simply have a library to choose from and not the 1 Game Nintendo is releasing every now and then.
This years CoD and Star Wars will sell MILLIONS on DAY1 on Xbox1 and PS4 while they will sell NOTHING on the WiiU.  GET IT?
If you can't even offer the most mainstream games there are you can have 99/100 rated 1st Party Exclusive games all you want - They won't sell your system to the average customer.

And how does the 0815 customer choose between PS4 and X1?
Well easy - Who has the better versions which Sony is usually marketing so everyone knows it and who has the bigger library at the end
In the battle of games for EVERYONE on this PLANET the PS4 simply wins by a lot by default

Don't forget -   The Playstation is a Global Brand while the X1 is mainly doing good at home.Microsoft simply doesn't understand how to penetrate all the markets while Sony is dominating them easily.

PS4                    X1
Persona 5                                                      YES                   NO
Dragon Quest Heroes                                 YES                    NO
Star Ocean 5                                                 YES                    NO
Tales of                                                           YES                   NO
Japanese Games 1-8907                          All of them         None

The PS4 is having games for EVERY Genre,every taste for every person on the world
The X1 doesn't offer that - It still offers a lot more than the WiiU but it still doesn't come close to the library the PS4 offers.

And the average customer doesn't want to build/buy a PC for most of the above mentioned 3rd Party games.
They want plug and play which PC still isn't even close and obviously it isn't offering the same library as the PS4 but probably a bigger one full of late ports,RTS,Blizzard Games and MOBAs.A good library full of games.A good 1st or 2nd Option combined with the PS4.
I want to play Persona 5 this year and not 2020 when they port it to Steam probably and all PC Nerds start to cry cause they finall get a 5 year old game.

See i made enough reasons why the PS4 wins by more than a mile and why it dominates this gaming WORLD so much.
It offers everthing for everyone in the easiest and best way possible

Now the nintendo fan will say "No one plays these games" - WRONG - You act like you don't want those games but the majority of people do
Destiny,GTA,Fifa a 15 Million franchise per year,ASSACREED and all these games are what people want.
They all sell millions day 1 and people want these games more than Splattoon and Wonderful 101
The customers will go out this year and say "MAN I WANT TO PLAY STAR WARS CAUSE OF THE NEW MOVIE AND CAUSE ITS STAR WARS" > How should they even think for 1 second if they want to play the biggest game of 2015 on the WiiU if there isn't even a version of it on there?

Or does anyone think the 22+ Million PS4 Customers are all interested in damn 1st Party exclusives?
The 0815 Customer buys for GTA,CoD,Ubisoft Games,EA Games and all that stuff
PRetty sure 90% of the people owning a console are average joes who just want to play a couple of games with their friends ONLINE with VOICE CHAT or enjoy a new RPG/Action Game etc
Sony is offering the complete package and the others simply don't

PxlStorm said:
Because they didn't do as much wrong as Microsoft and Nintendo.

This is the only statement that is needed, because it's as simple as that. If not for Microsoft's and Nintendo's mistakes Sony would not be in the lead this generation. 

There is no "console war". As for why it's outselling the XOne? Most likely because the PlayStation brand is simply more popular globally than the Xbox brand.

Made the most powerful console, whilst in constant communication with first and third party devs to build it around what they wanted

Features like Remote Play, Share Factory and the best new feature across all new consoles, Share Play

Made big efforts with indie developers to ensure that they had a constant stream of new smaller titles every week

Popular around the world. This helps make sure, for example, that good relationships with Japanese devs are maintained, so that game series like Tales, Yakuza, Ys, Persona, Dragon Quest etc come to Playstation and generally nowhere else on home console or PC

Released some good exclusives, such as inFamous and Bloodborne

Have a lot of exclusive games coming thanks to having a strong and diverse first party stable, and funding third party stuff. Also have the most studios who have unannounced projects.

Priced the console well, without bundling in a useless peripheral that 1% of the gaming population wanted.

Around the Network

Because Playstation is the happy medium.
Xbox is extremely broad focused and Nintendo is extremely hyper focused.

DialgaMarine said:
It's winning because it's a good product. I can't stand that mentality that people suddenly get when they see a console doing so well. Their inner hipster suddenly takes over and they have to nitpick everything they can to find something wrong with the top dog, because they have some childish need to feel unique about their garbage opinions. PS4 is awesome. That's not to say the other 8th gen consoles are somehow bad; they're just not as good.

lol you need to calm down, I was going to call you things but I understand, sorry I hurt your feelings with a simple thread that you take as a "I can't stand that mentality that people suddenly get when they see a console doing so well. Their inner hipster suddenly takes over and they have to nitpick everything they can to find something wrong with the top dog, because they have some childish need to feel unique about their garbage opinions"

It's largely about Nintendo's failure, similar to the PSX and N64 generation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

When folks on here say that PS4 is ONLY winning because of the other 2 messed up is really showing how much you dislike them because your console of preference isn't ahead.

The Wii U is still a great console with a slew of 1st party library. When it comes to that, the Wii U has the best 1st party of the 8th gen thus far. No need to downplay or find reasons to take that away from them.

The PS4 has tons of games (whether it's indie or retail). In fact, they have more than any other 8th gen console. Plus it's the most powerful and the price is right. I'm still not sure why people are saying PS4 don't have games when it's clear they have more.

The Xbox One is a phenomenal console that's just a bit weaker than the PS4. They have a few games with more coming. Also Phil Spencer is incredible with turning the Xbox brand into a powerful brand like PlayStation outside of the U.S. and U.K. The policies are being overturned. As you can see more indies and such the PS had are being released for Xbox. This is a good thing.

My point is there's no point of downplaying the success and trying to throw indirect shots at it.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

-Didnt stuff up at launch (stronger, cheaper, no gimmicks, no bad policies)
-Didnt rock the boat

Other than that not sure

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda