By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Guys, we missed an important milestone for Wii U

Tagged games:

Way to go, Wii U!

Around the Network

It's a little sad, when beating the Sega Saturn or Dreamcast is considered a milestone. xD

Yet the saturn has way more games it has 1000 or something, its a great console

I'm still waiting for the Wii U to pass the Master System's sales on Wikipedia (13-14.8 million). I don't believe that the Master System was considered to be a complete flop back in its day so it would be nice if the Wii U could pass it. I know that the market was a lot smaller back then but it would look good one day in the history books if the Wii U could have its name ahead of a console that was a middling success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_million-selling_game_consoles

Please delete.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
noname2200 said:
Reported for trolling.

Is he trolling Sega or Nintendo?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/57237343.jpg">

Ruler said:

Yet the saturn has way more games it has 1000 or something, its a great console

I'm a Sega nut myself but you gotta admit that most of those games never saw release outside of Japan where as the Wii-U's sales are global. Wii-U is to Nintendo what Dreamcast was to Sega... sans the short lifespan. It's going to be one of those consoles hipsters buy in 10 years, claiming it was one of the best consoles of all time.

KyleeStrutt said:
curl-6 said:

Wikipedia's list has Dreamcast at 10.6m, so Sega's hardware swansong is safe for now... come Christmas though, it had better watch it's back. ;)

Wikipedia's wrong (for real now) on Sega's own investor documents they had the Dreamcast at 9.16m by March 2001 ie, when it was discontinued.

Not sure if that was the number of units produced or shipped but its unlikely they went on to sale over 1m units more.

It was still sold in Japan and repiared til 2007 or so. Still had official games released for it in Japan for years. People also bought DC's new directly from SOJ website after it was discontinued. SEGA had a lot of left over stock in warehouses.

Ryudo said:

It was still sold in Japan and repiared til 2007 or so. Still had official games released for it in Japan for years. People also bought DC's new directly from SOJ website after it was discontinued. SEGA had a lot of left over stock in warehouses.

DC was already selling in the hundreds by the time Famitsu stopped tracking, interest was fading, sure some people kept purchasing the system, but its unlikely Sega was selling more than maybe a few tens of thousands per year, there was no big software to drive hardware sales either and its not like the volume of people who bought things online was very large from 2001 to 2007, the numbers won't ammount to much, certainly not to 1m units and even if Sega had that many unsold stock no retailers would buy it and they wouldn't sell it online, if there was a large enough ammount of unsold Dreamcast they probably just sold the parts to recoup as much as possible as fast as possible.

I mean, Nintendo also supported the Famicom and the Famicom Disk System until like 2008 but its not like it sold after 1991.

Conegamer said:
Wow. Erm...Congratulations to the U I suppose. Does make you wonder how many more consoles it can pass before it runs out of steam though.

A win in the special olympics is still a win!