By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Many First Party Remasters Has Sony Actually Done?

JWeinCom said:
arcaneguyver said:
Retail? Yeah, that's about it. Last gen we got Sly Collection, Ratchet & Clank collection, God of War Trilogy...any others? Digital we got Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Killzone, probably more.

Jak Trilogy, Resistance Trilogy, God of War Origins, God of War Saga, Ico/Shadow (was a retail release), Uncharted Dual pack (really just the two games in one big box), and I think a couple others. 

Yeah, almost listed Resistance trilogy & Uncharted dual pack, but they're just collections of PS3 games, not remasters. Good catch with the Team Ico release, dunno how I forgot J&D.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I've got to be honest, I'm loving watching people trying to turn re-releases into a negative. It's one of the most amusing hot-button forum topics of the moment. Not only does it reek of desperation but it literally makes no sense.

Remasters aren't inherently bad, but the quantity of them is ridiculous.  That's not just Sony, but as a whole.  The pricing model is also getting shittier.  Last gen, the tendency was collections with 3 games or so, and often at a value price.  One game at full price is a shitty value considering that remasters take considerably less effort.  There are I believe at least 30 remastered games so far.  Now, if there was also a lot of truly great next gen content available, that'd be one thing, but that hasn't been the case.  The problem is less with the remasters themselves, and more about people not feeling that their console purchase has been justified yet.

Anyway, as for the original topic, you can also throw Street Fighter IV on that list, as that was a Sony developed port.  On the Vita side, Borderlands and Epic Mickey 2 were done by Sony (why they wanted to port Epic Mickey 2 of all games baffles me).

WhiteEaglePL said:
TLOU got a remaster 1 year after release lol...

Well it was later stated that Naughty Dog had already planned to release the game for PS4 as they were currently developing it for the PS3, which was why they worked on the PS4 version right after they completed the PS3 version.  So in a sense this game was created for PS3 and PS4 simutaneously, just released for PS3 first.

JWeinCom said:
arcaneguyver said:
Retail? Yeah, that's about it. Last gen we got Sly Collection, Ratchet & Clank collection, God of War Trilogy...any others? Digital we got Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Killzone, probably more.

Jak Trilogy, Resistance Trilogy, God of War Origins, God of War Saga, Ico/Shadow (was a retail release), Uncharted Dual pack (really just the two games in one big box), and I think a couple others. 

Don't know if someone already mentioned this, but Killzone was remastered and released on the PSN. Ratchet: Deadlocked wasn't included in the collection, and it was released on the PSN seperately. That's two more.

A list of third party remasters and rereleases would be even longer. 

Really should just dismiss the people who complain about the remasters. Not all but some people have agendas and its really easy to point out the double standards.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network

Out currently
Retail
TLOUR

digital though some are more just ports than remasters
flow
flower
escape plan
the unfinished swan
(does sound shapes count?
dead nation

announced
GOW 3
Uncharted Trilogy
Gravity Rush edit (not anounced just strongly believed)
Tearaway unfolded
with at least the last one getting plenty of new content

Two more that some might count

Dc universe online

Pixel junk shooter ultimate

JWeinCom said:
pokoko said:
I've got to be honest, I'm loving watching people trying to turn re-releases into a negative. It's one of the most amusing hot-button forum topics of the moment. Not only does it reek of desperation but it literally makes no sense.

Remasters aren't inherently bad, but the quantity of them is ridiculous.  That's not just Sony, but as a whole.  The pricing model is also getting shittier.  Last gen, the tendency was collections with 3 games or so, and often at a value price.  One game at full price is a shitty value considering that remasters take considerably less effort.  There are I believe at least 30 remastered games so far.  Now, if there was also a lot of truly great next gen content available, that'd be one thing, but that hasn't been the case.  The problem is less with the remasters themselves, and more about people not feeling that their console purchase has been justified yet.

Anyway, as for the original topic, you can also throw Street Fighter IV on that list, as that was a Sony developed port.  On the Vita side, Borderlands and Epic Mickey 2 were done by Sony (why they wanted to port Epic Mickey 2 of all games baffles me).

More content is better than less content and I've never seen a single argument that comes close to negating that.  I don't even care what that extra content is, as long as someone, somewhere, is interested in owning and enjoying it.

Years ago, when I first bought a Kindle, many older books were not available as ebooks.  The more time that passes, the more books are converted and I've never once seen anyone complain about that.  Every book, period, that receives an ebook conversion, makes any ebook device better.  Older content reappearing in no way, shape, or form hurts the enjoyment of someone who only wants new content.

Pricing is a separate issue.  Not enough new content is a separate issue--although it's also an issue for every new console ever, so I actually have zero sympathy for someone who bought a new console and thinks games magically appear because they want them to appear.  Older games being converted have nothing to do with that.

Quite frankly, what I've said all seems like common sense to me.  I simply cannot wrap my head about the idea of someone saying, "stop, I want less content!"

pokoko said:
JWeinCom said:

More content is better than less content and I've never seen a single argument that comes close to negating that.  I don't even care what that extra content is, as long as someone, somewhere, is interested in owning and enjoying it.

Years ago, when I first bought a Kindle, many older books were not available as ebooks.  The more time that passes, the more books are converted and I've never once seen anyone complain about that.  Every book, period, that receives an ebook conversion, makes any ebook device better.  Older content reappearing in no way, shape, or form hurts the enjoyment of someone who only wants new content.

Pricing is a separate issue.  Not enough new content is a separate issue--although it's also an issue for every new console ever, so I actually have zero sympathy for someone who bought a new console and thinks games magically appear because they want them to appear.  Older games being converted have nothing to do with that.

Quite frankly, what I've said all seems like common sense to me.  I simply cannot wrap my head about the idea of someone saying, "stop, I want less content!"

Here's the big difference.

If 1984 is made available on Kindle, George Orwell is not converting it.  1984 being made into an ebook does not take away time from other potential books that Orwell could be writing (obviously).  The person who is doing the conversion is almost certainly not a professional author.  The conversion of 1984 to Kindle in no way reduces the amount of books that will be available.  No new writing is not being done so that 1984 can be "remastered".  If I had to estimate the dollar amount of converting 1984 to Kindle, I'd say it would probably cost under 1000 dollars. (In fact, I'd estimate it is far far far less.  I don't know how licensing works, but the actual cost of conversion would be close to 0 dollars.  I'm sure a version of these books already existed on a computer, and putting them on the Kindle store probably took about one man hour).

Games are different.  Remasters cost money.  Maybe not a ton of money, but probably enough money to make a decent indie game.  It takes programmers.  While the guy who is converting 1984 to pdf most likely can't write a decent book, the team converting the Last Of Us into super duper HD most certainly can make a game.  If you took the same amount of people, and the same amount of money, you could get actual games. 

And that goes into the lack of games.  These remasters are taking up resources that could be used to make games which justify the purchase of the console.  I'm not going to argue about it, but I feel like the first year lineup for the next gen consoles is considerably worse than for the older systems.  Now, of course, the money generated from the remasters could be used to invest in awesome new IPs down the line, but that hasn't shown to be the case yet. 

Pricing is not a seperate issue, because it's what we see, and it's part of the reason people are complaining.  I'm not complaining about a theoretical world where remakes are reasonably priced, I'm talking about the actual world where pricing is laughable.  Developers are putting in considerably less work and charging signigicantly more money.  That's the reality, and that's what people are complaining about.

So, here's the thing.  Either

a) The remakes take very limited resources and we are being vastly overcharged for the products.

or

b) The remakes are taking up resources that could be used to create new content.  So we are getting less new content. 

That's why people are complaining.

padib said:
pokoko said:

It's so funny to watch them because they don't realize that remasters are good.

Well you have to consider good new games can't exist if old games are getting remastered. Right?

Frankly, its just a vocal minority that complains about remasters. The masses don't care.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The only thing about "remasters" that I don't understand is how we're getting HD games "remastered" in...HD. I could understand PS2 games because they were SD but is Uncharted 3 really in need of that treatment? I honestly don't think so.