By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF! Final Fantasy XV Story Is Not Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Your Reaction to this news

I wish I didn't read it 20 10.15%

WTF! 26 13.20%

I miss Stella!! 41 20.81%

Meh.. Don't Care. 110 55.84%

Total:197
eskpro2k3 said:
Wildcard36qs said:
I understand they ditched Stella and basically made her into Luna (at least physically). But you guys have what, a few minutes of trailers and some promotional material to go on? How deep of a character development did you get from that? Someone saying they could tell her personality and how different she was from Luna based upon a few seconds in a cutscene? For real? It's just quite outrageous to me lol

Followers have been keeping an eye on the original concept of this game since 2006. Like I said earlier, this is not just about Stella.. Thank you very much.

actually the problem is we are having conversation with people who were just curious for a new final fantasy game, most of these guys pretty much know nothing as to why versus was special... there was a reason it was named Versus 13, so that it could have a different vision and direction, a dark, mature  Shakespear themed final fantasy, epic Music. And when SE made it a regular number iteration in the series, we should have guessed it, that main line series will never adopt what versus was.. and thats what happened, everything that made the game special has been stripped and people who hardly knew anything about the game are suprised as to what all the fuss is all about. 

Around the Network

this is a good thread that will hopefully teach people not to get too caught up about a game so early in development. If you read nothing you know nothing so when the final product comes out you can enjoy it without already having a negative mind set about it.

By the end the game may blow but at least you played it and made that decision after.

Now that I look at it, this is probably for the best. The original story probably had Stella as a Lightning sort of character and both her and Noctis would be OP in the world of FFXV...of course Luna could still be OP as well. Knowing SE however and how they write each character entirely on their name, Luna which stands for Moon rather than Star makes it seem like Luna will be more mild mannered.

If Nomura was left to his own devices every main character would be OP, or at the very least above human level.

There have been quite a huge number of strong female characters in FF, and looking back most of them were exactly that..rather than damsels in distress as I believe one user complained about Luna being.

Lube Me Up

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
Now that I look at it, this is probably for the best. The original story probably had Stella as a Lightning sort of character and both her and Noctis would be OP in the world of FFXV...of course Luna could still be OP as well. Knowing SE however and how they write each character entirely on their name, Luna which stands for Moon rather than Star makes it seem like Luna will be more mild mannered.

If Nomura was left to his own devices every main character would be OP, or at the very least above human level.

There have been quite a huge number of strong female characters in FF, and looking back most of them were exactly that..rather than damsels in distress as I believe one user complained about Luna being.

A big No. Nomura at reveal of Stella, was especially asked how similar stella to lightning, and his answer was she is completely opp, she is strong but grounded at the same time and is torn between love for Noctis and loyatly for family. The whole Shakespear's multiple stories adaptation was the biggest pull of the versus, And Nomura was using Romeo & Juliet esque love story on Noctics and Stella as a sales pitch for the game.

why is it so hard to understand.

taus90 said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

A big No. Nomura at reveal of Stella, was especially asked how similar stella to lightning, and his answer was she is completely opp, she is strong but grounded at the same time and is torn between love for Noctis and loyatly for family. The whole Shakespear's multiple stories adaptation was the biggest pull of the versus, And Nomura was using Romeo & Juliet esque love story on Noctics and Stella as a sales pitch for the game.

Do you have a link to that?  I tried looking it up, but no success thus far.  

Either way, there's what a character is and how a character is.  I remember there was information before FFXIII released on how enemy soldiers would have depth or something, but the story of FFXIII never pushed it...or rather they did very slightly at the beginning but it was a weak showing of this idea.

The Romeo and Juliet sales pitch could very well still be there anyways.  Maybe they just decided not to have Luna be OP.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network
taus90 said:
Kowan said:
taus90 said:
Kowan said:
Wyrdness said:
Imo it's controversial because the whole change has been done in a way that makes it feel like the project was hijacked to fill a void because the was nothing for an actual FFXV title. This isn't even a fan of Nomura thing as I don't care for the guy but he certainly had an interesting concept that was presented to gamers for the good part of a decade which has now been confirmed to have been thrown out.

If anything Tabata is now worse off as if him and his team don't deliver every critic will be lining up to have a field day over this especially after the whole XIII saga debacle.

What was thrown out? Did you not watch the video? Tabata is incorporating all that he can from the original story to the final version of FF XV. CHanges were made but the whole idea is the same. They just changed some of the old ideas and made something else in XV. 

Stella was freaking huge part of the story, entire versus was riding on noctis and stella's equation. and not to mention changes to combat system the tone. "And Tabata is incorporating all that he can from the original" the only thing i see him incorporating  from the original are Noctics, his friends and the beast. rest every thing has been changed.

You can't really say that when the game itself isn't released yet. Same for Versus, no one has ever played that nor knows what the story is about. Sure Stella SEEMED important but we don't know the entirety of her story.  Luna replaced her and she looks exactly like Stella, who knows what her role will ultimately be.

Well I can, as there have been tons of info and trailer on who stella was and how important she was to the story, as a matter of fact, noctis and stella were the only charactered introduced, and Nomura used their Romeo & Juliet esque angle to promote the game. People who have been following this game for9 years, know exactly what this game was and why it was special and there was a reason why it was named VERSUSXIII.. its just people who only had fleeting interest in the game think nothing was revealed and everything is a speculation.

I have been following the game since its announcement and have watched, read everything Square has released for it and in no way have they released sufficient info about Stella. Why would they when the game isn't released yet. If you really do know who she is, then please enlighten me. Who is she? What is her role? WHat does she do? Why does she appear to be fighting against Noctis? Who wins? Does she live? Oh and don't be saying she's a special someone who like Noctis can see the light of the place of the dead. Tell me something that makes her important to the entirety of the story since you seem to know the story of Versus already.

So apparently quite a few people have played FF XIII vs. How the hell did I miss that release? Not to mention the apparent early release of FFXV? What? I went to bed and suddenly it's 2017? Or at least 2016?

Xxain said:
Harkins1721 said:

Because that was clearly Nomura's fault right?

People keep saying this.

Nomura was removed from FF15. Nomura more than likely was removed due to his extensive testing/Alpha phase. When the new CEO took over after Wada, he made it very clear that SE development cycles could longer go the way they were. What SE games could he be rephrasing? FF14/15. Its pretty safe to assume that Nomura was replaced with somebody they felt was gonna get the game moving, especially since KHIII was announced spreading Nomura even thinner. 

They would NOT remove one of their key workers if it was their (as in higher up) fault the game wasn't progressing 

How could he progress when his team kept getting taken away from him?  They took his team to make XIII triolgoy and to get XIV 2.0 as fast as possible. 

Wyrdness said:
Wildcard36qs said:
I understand they ditched Stella and basically made her into Luna (at least physically). But you guys have what, a few minutes of trailers and some promotional material to go on? How deep of a character development did you get from that? Someone saying they could tell her personality and how different she was from Luna based upon a few seconds in a cutscene? For real? It's just quite outrageous to me lol

The director himself has said XV is effectively no longer Versus, the original concept is gone that's the whole point, Stella was just the final confirmation and nail in the coffin. Dark fantasy based on reality has become some kind of road trip while people attempt to assassinate your dad the one character who appears to have survived the culling of the original concept intact.

His vision is still there. Bits and pieces have been replaced. Did you watch the ATR? Stella has been removed for Luna. As far as we know the character could be the exact same minus a few details. The best thing to do is to just wait for gamescom. We will know more then. 

taus90 said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

This sounds almost exactly like Lightning's character motivations.

I don't understand why people use her a some low peg to avoid. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.