By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Splatoon feel very 90s to anyone else? (In a good way)

Totally. And I love it.

Around the Network
tripenfall said:
The 80's and to a lesser extent the 90's were all about excess. Loud colour and style and yes Splatoon does give me that vibe....
I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the game but after getting to level 6 I have to say it's a lot of fun. I'm hoping that the ranked battles give the game some extra life....

Oh my god, the ranked battles are goddamn BRUTAL. Awesome fun.

Ever since the game was revealed I've gotten a 90s-Nickelodeon-Jet Set Radio vibe from this game, and the campaign just multiplied that feeling.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Nem said:

If you mean, everything isnt grey and brown and super realistic and depressing, then yes. The 90's and 80's were much better. People actually tried to have a good time and didnt worry so much about details.

So... yes, i agree with that. Its a snap of a better time, when games were focused on beeing fun and werent afraid of using colors.

To say that you can't have fun with realistic games is a false premise.

If there are some who are afraid to use colors (which is an absurd argument unless you are talking about black and white games like Limbo which are rare), then there are some who are afraid to stop using them and approach realism.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

I mean, the music does, but the way the squids dress is definitely not. It's more late 2000's/early 2010's.

Around the Network

Seems very 2000-ish to me. The dreamcast was the first console to operate at a decent resolution but didn't have the memory or processing to do games with a lot of texturing so often had a lot of bold colours in its games with texturing more limited. Splatoon has that look because Nintendo themselves love those type of graphics its part of their house style. They don't do realism. Splatoon most looks like Mario Sunshine that seems to be the game that inspired it.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/images/d/dc/Super_Mario_Sunshine-Goo_Dolphin.png

It feels very Dreamcast... and THAT is a good thing.

Yes.

It feels more 90's than a lot of games actually from the 90's, that's how 90's this game feels

God I love the 90's.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

The "90s" is not a monolith block either, the early 90s are pretty different from the late 90s. 

I'd say Splatoon is more late 90s and actually 2000s (pre-2004) moreso. 

It definitely recalls the Dreamcast ... I mean look at this ... 

I can definitely see the Nickelodeon-90s vibe from it.