By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Splatoon feel very 90s to anyone else? (In a good way)

The 80's and to a lesser extent the 90's were all about excess. Loud colour and style and yes Splatoon does give me that vibe....
I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the game but after getting to level 6 I have to say it's a lot of fun. I'm hoping that the ranked battles give the game some extra life....

Around the Network

Jet Set Radio fits your description even more than Splatoon OP.

Ari_Gold said:
Jet Set Radio fits your description even more than Splatoon OP.

JSR came out less than a year after the 90s ended, so obviously it would reflect that era. ;)

Splatoon is more of an oddity because it came out in 2015.

Honestly, I must be the only one who isn't getting a 90s vibe from this game.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:
Honestly, I must be the only one who isn't getting a 90s vibe from this game.

Yes, probably.

Around the Network

I suppose because it is really an arcadey type of game. Where the emphasis on the game mechanics isnt realism but rather utilsing the ink to attack and defend.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

This game came at exactly the right time. Nostalgia for the 90s is probably at it's peak right now and Splatoon pushes all of the right buttons to feel fresh and familiar at the same time.
Between the 'edgy' soundtrack, the bright colors the retro 90s hipster skater aesthetic and the super fun and bright general feel of the game, it basically screams 90s. And I love it. Every 'extreme', neon colored slimy second of it.

It feels kind of late 90s, 2000-ish I'd say. Once hip-hop style had kinda become the norm but I actually think the "it feels early/mid 90s" bit is a bit overdone. 

To be honest though if you go visit Tokyo today and see areas like Shibuya, you totally understand the vibe this game is going for.

The main area reminds me of that and going into the lobby reminds me of going into Sega Joypolis (ironically) theme parks they have in Japan. As in right now too. 

Stylistically it feels like a Sega game from the Dreamcast era but with a little more "gentle" EAD touch to it. 

not really for me, when I played it during the testfire..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Nem said:

If you mean, everything isnt grey and brown and super realistic and depressing, then yes. The 90's and 80's were much better. People actually tried to have a good time and didnt worry so much about details.

So... yes, i agree with that. Its a snap of a better time, when games were focused on beeing fun and werent afraid of using colors.

<slow clap>

Good old 90s. All you can hear now is whining "No voice chat, too much ink... flop ... kiddy ... kids ...  ... 0/10 worst game ever!". Game play? Fun? No one cares anymore. It's all about, 'who's got bigger d*&%' nowadays.