By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Splatoon feel very 90s to anyone else? (In a good way)

It's whole style seems reminiscent not so much of contemporary teen culture but more the skate pop of the mid to late 1990s; it would have fit right in with early Nickelodeon, The Simpsons, the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, 4th-6th gen Sega.

Playing the game I felt a strong vibe of 90s nostalgia running through it, as if its creators were recalling their own younger years during that decade.

Anyone else get this impression?

Around the Network

Definitely. The first thing people thought about when the first trailer was revealed was Nickelodeon. That orange slime.

If you mean, everything isnt grey and brown and super realistic and depressing, then yes. The 90's and 80's were much better. People actually tried to have a good time and didnt worry so much about details.

So... yes, i agree with that. Its a snap of a better time, when games were focused on beeing fun and werent afraid of using colors.

Nem said:

If you mean, everything isnt grey and brown and super realistic and depressing, then yes. The 90's and 80's were much better. People actually tried to have a good time and didnt worry so much about details.

So... yes, i agree with that. Its a snap of a better time, when games were focused on beeing fun and werent afraid of using colors.

Couldn't agree more.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Nem said:

100% this

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

Same thing I thought when I saw the E3 reveal. I thought I had warped back to 90's Nickelodeon. It's those bold neon colors. I love it!

I think the world is having a love affair with the 90's right now. I see a lot of references in pop culture. Not sure if Splatoon is just a coincidence though or if it was planned to capitalize on that.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Is the first thing I though when I saw the game a year ago.

The 90´s feeling in this game is VERY strong.

And I didn´t see a better Final Boss since the 90´s so yes XD

The whole setting and vibes it gives off to me is that of Jet set radio, which I loved. Young teens obsessed with image, a rebellious streak, and no regard for keeping the urban areas tidy.

The way it feels most "90s" is the review score that I would give it.

Nem said:

This!

Also, Splatoon is the first shooter I really love since the 90's. Funny how that goes together, huh