By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3

a.l.e.x59 said:

Sorry, but MGS4 and FF are both coming to the Xbox 360. They may be compressed ports, but they will be coming to the Xbox 360. If they managed to fit Donkey Kong from the Arcade, into an Atari 2600 game, then anything is possible. Need for Speed Carbon exists on PS3, Xbox 360, and even PS2.

And yes, I own a Playstation 3. Just because I have Halo 3 for an avator doesn't mean I hate Sony. I like all of them. I just think that Playstation 3 should step it up a little bit.

The purpose for these threads was merely to start popular threads. That's it. And I don't lie.

And yes there is a chance that MGS4 and FF will be exclusives, but at this point, it's not looking that good.

So, which is it?

From what I'm hearing and seeing (No, not from forums) both titles are exclusive and any rumour of both of them being ported over to the 360 have been debunked.

Around the Network
Tetsuya said:
...so when microsoft and nintendo make there next console which will be in about 4 years or so...sony is already prepared for the next wave...because the hardware thats inside that console its already future proof..

Sorry, but this is a crazy idea. At the current pace it is totally impossible to design a computer, that is so advanced that it will be up to date five to six years later! Currently computers are slowed down sufficiently by the OS, that you don't see the real speed limitations. In one year they will have passed the PS-3 (and the Xbox 360) clearly. When Microsoft and Nintendo reease successors, these systems will be beyond the power of the PS-3 while they can be produced cheaper!

In fact developers are already running with their heads against a really low ceiling. The 256 MB Ram clearly limit the power of the PS-3. So even a small memory upgrade would improve the performance. But in the mean time many other bottlenecks would be removed, even if the PS-3 design would be the design of the future (which I doubt. I think the ease of use for programmers will become a much more important feature, to stop the constant rise of development costs.). 

kars said:
Tetsuya said:
...so when microsoft and nintendo make there next console which will be in about 4 years or so...sony is already prepared for the next wave...because the hardware thats inside that console its already future proof..

Sorry, but this is a crazy idea. At the current pace it is totally impossible to design a computer, that is so advanced that it will be up to date five to six years later! Currently computers are slowed down sufficiently by the OS, that you don't see the real speed limitations. In one year they will have passed the PS-3 (and the Xbox 360) clearly. When Microsoft and Nintendo reease successors, these systems will be beyond the power of the PS-3 while they can be produced cheaper!

Save your breath, Kars. Anyone who uses the idiotic "future-proof" statement with any computing device obviously has zero understanding of this law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

There are a lot of PS3 exclusives that are being mentioned that are not going to move any systems. Killzone didn't make much of an impact on the gaming world so why would the second one? The only other game the makers of Heavenly Sword have made is Kung Fu Chaos, which sucked.

Let's look at what the most anticipated games on the PS3 really are: http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2748

So we've got:

Final Fantasy XIII - Exclusitivity is now under discussion: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167864.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1 . When 3 times as many people own an Xbox 360 and Final Fantasy is huge in the U.S. then they would have a lot to gain by porting it to the 360.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Kojima said a port wouldn't happen but ultimately it's Konami's decision. Remember, MGS was released on the PC and MGS2 was released on the PC and Xbox although Kojima didn't want it.

Grand Theft Auto IV - On the 360

Devil May Cry 4 - On the 360

Assassin's Creed - On the 360 T

wo others not on the poll but definitely on the list are:

Resident Evil 5 - On the 360

Grand Turismo 5 - Exclusive

As you can see the anticipation for Lair and Ninja Gaiden Sigma are limited. Only 3% of people voted Lair even though it's coming out soon and it's one of the ones that people on boards mention over and over again. I doubt either of these games will increase the PS3's sales past an initial boost like what Motorstorm did. I do see the boost for Lair being a little bigger than Motorstorm, however, but the PS3's sales will probably drop down to normal soon after. T

That leaves 2 uncertain exclusives and one certain exclusive that are really system-sellers. Judging by this poll: http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2749 the 360 has Halo 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, and Blue Dragon as the exclusive system-sellers and then it has all the non-exclusives that I mentioned. Basically, the 360 has more system-sellers than the PS3 and it's actually popular and it's $200 cheaper. Plus it won't be too long until the price drops.

deadhorse said:

That leaves 2 uncertain exclusives and one certain exclusive that are really system-sellers. Judging by this poll: http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=2749 the 360 has Halo 3, Mass Effect, Fable 2, and Blue Dragon as the exclusive system-sellers and then it has all the non-exclusives that I mentioned. Basically, the 360 has more system-sellers than the PS3 and it's actually popular and it's $200 cheaper. Plus it won't be too long until the price drops.

The verdict is still out regarding those 2.

Around the Network

Frankly, I'm bothered by the first post. It misses a lot of marks, like the aspects of reliability, user-friendliness and lacks on design. Design: sorry, but there are trends in the living room and in life. Consoles, despite what gamers want to believe, are still considered like kids or loosers toys. Only Nintendo tried to change that, as you can now use your DS everywhere without shame, and the Wii is poised to do the same. In your living room, women won't like your big toy, that's why most HT hardware now tries to be as small or as thin as possible. HDTV is taking off because of that, not because of HD itself (HD media are leaning it hard). That's even more true in Japan, where space is scarce. In 2002, in Japan, I wondered why all those crappy LCD TV were being sold like mad, to later understand why. None of the PS3 nor the XB360 tried to follow this trend. Reliability: I'm actually glad that this comes back biting Sony in the a$$. Because with so many PS2 sold, don't worry most PS2 owners know how short the PS2 lifetime can be. And I bet there are far less people wanting to risk $600 to have it die on them in 2 years time. The XB360 has the same problem, only worse, but they're lucky it appeared only with the XB360, so most people don't know yet how terrible it is reliability wise. I know I could never buy such an unreliable console even if I wanted a game on it badly. In Japan, they just resell them, but I like to keep my games. User-friendliness: talking of the controller is just retarded. You'll take whatever controller they give you, if you like the game and are a gamer. For "non-gamers" though, all this nonsense of vibrations or tilt is nonsense. What they see is very complicated pads where you need 3 or 4 hands to move everything, scaring them away. It's the same for the games. Heavenly Sword is wow, like a film could wow them, but if you want a casual to play it, he will be scared right away, meaning he would never buy the console to play that. Of course, these 3 points don't make either XB360 or PS3 stand out, but they are still important. I remember, when I got back in gaming with the GCN, even I was wondering how I could ever use the controller. If I wasn't a gamer before, I would have given up.

Poseidon said:
deadhorse said:

The verdict is still out regarding those 2.

The verdict is out regarding them being system sellers or them being good games? 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The thing with the PS3 vs 360 discussion is that while sony still has improvements coming down the pipeline for its product through improved online capabilities (better PSN, Home) or higher levels of blu-ray market penetration, better games or whatever, the 360 can differentiate itself with ONLY by lowering its price, and I have been looking but haven't heard of anything that the 360 is doing to improve its product. 

So, the PS3 has all of the POTENTIAL forward momentum here.

deadhorse said:

When 3 times as many people own an Xbox 360 and Final Fantasy is huge in the U.S. then they would have a lot to gain by porting it to the 360.

Another thing to consider is how much of the 360 userbase would buy FF comapared to the number of people in the PS3 userbase?  Not to stereotype, but don't most of the people who have 360s couldn't care less about RPGs?

But, maybe some RPG fans will tack on the 360 when Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey - both of which are currently subsidised by M$ to gain more market share in Japan.  However these games are the only reason that I'll be getting a 360 for as I couldn't care less about shooters.

If FFXIII goes over, it would probably be a year later before going to the 360.  In Japan, it's definitely better to release it on the PS3 first as it does have a larger userbase.  FFVII & FFVIII both went to the PC about a year later.  It is possible as the White Engine is supposed to be multi-platform, but much of the cell-specific development would have to be redone for other CPUs.

If Xbox is proudly going to support the SD DVD format, I hope that more developers will follow suit like Blue Dragon and release multi-disc games.  I really hate the trend that all games need to be released on one disc no matter how much they are compromised in length.

I don't really see the cost savings in the 360 as much as other people with all the stuff that has to be tacked on  afterward with the wireless, online service, etc.

As a Videophile, the PS3 is an awesome deal with the Blu-ray.  I love watching HD movies and it's hard to go back to SD DVD.

I do plan on getting 360, just not for shooters. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 (Cue Mortal Konsole Announcer's Voice) "Fight!" Playstation 3 attacks with having 9 games on Game Rankings above 80% Xbox 360 counters with having 44 games on Game Rankings above 80% "Outstanding!" "Xbox 360, Finish him!!!" Xbox 360 attacks with having 7 of those 9 PS3 games on Game Rankings also on 360 leaving Playstation 3 with a paltry 2! "Fatality!" "Flawless Victory!" "Xbox 360 Wins!" Well that was quick... Umm.. Lets do this again next year at the second annual Mortal Konsole Tournament.