By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New PS4 Models Certified: Including 1 Terabyte HDD Option

dane007 said:

i did and still dont see how its counterproductive  . in fact alot of gamers who have ps4  just liek myself are waiting for the nyko accessory which allows external HDD support.  Therefore they wont need to persuade anyoen to use it . Just giving an external HDD support will provide gamers with more options as they can choose to upgrade their internall hdd or use the external hdd. In that sony is stupid for not providing external HDD support.

Whether you agree with why I think it's counterproductive or not, that is my reason why and the answer to your question. Can't you see how you're creating a circular argument? Your response is ignoring my reasoning. I gave the answer to your question and yet you ask again. LOL

Sony didn't offer tht option because they want that option to be a system seller.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

I'm smelling 500GB model $350 and 1TB model $400 announcement at E3.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

dane007 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
super6646 said:

They should make it external drive compatible, like the Xbox One.

That would be counterproductive. It looks great on paper but trying to persuade people who already use an external drive to upgrade to a 1tb version of the console is much harder than persuading people to upgrade to a 1tb version of a console with NO external support. Sony aren't stupid.

How is it counterproductive. 1TB is still way to small for gamers. having an external hdd suppor tlike in XO , will give gamers reassurance that can easily get more storage by just plugging it to their ps4 and wont cost them alot of money .

Exactly. The XB1 can have 24 TB of storage with the help of External HDD's. I won't have to worry about storage.

GribbleGrunger said:
dane007 said:
GribbleGrunger said:
super6646 said:

They should make it external drive compatible, like the Xbox One.

That would be counterproductive. It looks great on paper but trying to persuade people who already use an external drive to upgrade to a 1tb version of the console is much harder than persuading people to upgrade to a 1tb version of a console with NO external support. Sony aren't stupid.

How is it counterproductive. 1TB is still way to small for gamers. having an external hdd suppor tlike in XO , will give gamers reassurance that can easily get more storage by just plugging it to their ps4 and wont cost them alot of money .

Did you read what you're replying to? My answer is:

It looks great on paper but trying to persuade people who already use an external drive to upgrade to a 1tb version of the console is much harder than persuading people to upgrade to a 1tb version of a console with NO external support. Sony aren't stupid.

Good, so I should pay 50-100$ more for storage space? Is that what its at? Fact is, having more storage shouldn't make consoles more expensive anymore, its just a bullshit excuse.

super6646 said:

Good, so I should pay 50-100$ more for storage space? Is that what its at? Fact is, having more storage shouldn't make consoles more expensive anymore, its just a bullshit excuse.

Yes. That's business.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
super6646 said:

Yes. That's business.

I think its greed...

super6646 said:

I think its greed...

It doesn't matter what you think it is, it's money in the bank for Sony. It's a savvy business move.

The PS5 Exists. 

AnthonyW86 said:
Hynad said:

Simple. The data that needs to be accessed is too big for the bandwidth speed of the blu-ray drive. So installing the game on HDD makes up for this.

This is nonsense, PS4's Blu-Ray drive is 3 times faster than that of the PS3. PS4's Blu-Ray can reach a speed of over 200 Mbps. That is actually sufficient for most of the data. Much faster than a external USB 2.0 hard drive for example, though a little slower than a USB 3.0 hard drive that can be used to install games for Xbox One.(might be interesting to test a few slower external hard drives to see what minimum speed is needed to run games without problems).

It's just easier for developers to simply copy all that data to the hard drive instead of having to optimize for reading data of the disc.

Seek time and random access.  The moment the heads have to move your transfer rate plummets to kilobytes per second as it spends more time changing tracks and waiting for the sector to come around than it takes to read the data.

Mummelmann said:
Who needs 1TB of storage today? I have survived with only 500GB on my rig for almost five years and I get all my games digitally.

I think people gripe to much about only having 500 GBs but 500 GBs does fill up, but its so easy to delete and reinstall stuff its really no big deal

GribbleGrunger said:
super6646 said:

I think its greed...

It doesn't matter what you think it is, it's money in the bank for Sony. It's a savvy business move.

Good! Support it! Why don't we instead have memory cards (SD cards) to save games again? Maybe 20$ each, cause your open to it. Don't know how your support thing this.