By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New PS4 Models Certified: Including 1 Terabyte HDD Option

Tachikoma said:

Yes, obviously. but the real interesting question is: do those new devkits finally have 16GB or memory in order to finally give devs more memory (like ~7.5GB instead of ~5.5GB) available for their games?

But I think not yet because otherwise those new devkits would consume a bit more of power than 230W, compared to the consumer consoles, if they had 8GB more ram...

Around the Network

They should make it external drive compatible, like the Xbox One.

super6646 said:

That would be counterproductive. It looks great on paper but trying to persuade people who already use an external drive to upgrade to a 1tb version of the console is much harder than persuading people to upgrade to a 1tb version of a console with NO external support. Sony aren't stupid.

The PS5 Exists. 

I would much rather preffer having a ps4 model which can be upgraded with 3.5 HDs

leo-j said:
I just don't understand why games take up 25gb + storage per game on these consoles when games like uncharted on ps3 took up a max of 100 mb.......

6gb day one patches to fix problems don't help either. This gen is teething badly. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
super6646 said:

That would be counterproductive. It looks great on paper but trying to persuade people who already use an external drive to upgrade to a 1tb version of the console is much harder than persuading people to upgrade to a 1tb version of a console with NO external support. Sony aren't stupid.

How is it counterproductive. 1TB is still way to small for gamers. having an external hdd suppor tlike in XO , will give gamers reassurance that can easily get more storage by just plugging it to their ps4 and wont cost them alot of money .

What's a hard drive? One of those impossibly slow primitive rotating mechanical contraptions that ancient earth cultures used to store data from the 1950s through the mid 2000s?  Those things have more in common with VHS, cassette, and stone tablets and chisels than computer components. 

I didn't know anyone still used those things let alone DESIRED using them.  I can't imagine accessing 50 GB of randomly accessed data at 100 kbps.  My phone's internet connection is faster than that!

I just wish PS4 had 3 more SATA port for SSD RAID0 or a PCI Express 16x port.  Only 0.5 GB/s and 90,000 IOPs from a single SATA port is too slow considering the main memory is almost 300 GB/sec.

To think people willingly suffer .1 GB/sec max sequential and 100 kbps sustained randoms with 3 IOs per second with some spinning hunk of metal and some cassette deck read/write head thing.  Nothing else is measured in kilobytes per second anymore.  Nothing uses read/write heads anymore. Nothing.  Just hard drives.

TLDR: I threw my 500 GB HDD away and installed a 1TB SSD before I even powered the thing on for the first time.  I don't allow magnetic stripe recording devices in my home.  It's 2015 not 1985. :D

GribbleGrunger said:
Hynad said:

Simple. The data that needs to be accessed is too big for the bandwidth speed of the blu-ray drive. So installing the game on HDD makes up for this.

I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering whether some assets could be streamed directly from the disc whilst the majority of the game is installed. Much has been said about 'cloud' and how you can stream physics and AI but what about streaming that data directly from the disc? It's not actually doing anything once the game's installed, it's just verifying you own the game. If data can be streamed via the internet then it makes sense it could be simply streamed from the disc ... no?

You are streaming video from internet. While on the console you need to read data, to compute. Video is a linear data with every frame being the same amount of data. While data to compute is spread "randomly" on the blu-ray disc, thus reading is not at the full speed and needs to change reading placement constantly.

Uncharted achieved that, because Naughty dog, implemented really nifty tricks to make the data on disc more linear, doing some data redudancy, to achieve maximum performace on the slow blu-ray.

Today tho, with high resolution assets and the huge amount of the assets themselves, this wouldn't be possible, or would be too engineering difficult and not worth when the Hard drive is such a cheap option.

When Ps3 launched, 60gb cost the same as 1tb cost today. So sony and consumers pressured developers for lower data installs. Now the standard is the limitless hard drive install, which makes life easier and cheaper for developers themselves.

solidpumar said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Hynad said:

Simple. The data that needs to be accessed is too big for the bandwidth speed of the blu-ray drive. So installing the game on HDD makes up for this.

I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering whether some assets could be streamed directly from the disc whilst the majority of the game is installed. Much has been said about 'cloud' and how you can stream physics and AI but what about streaming that data directly from the disc? It's not actually doing anything once the game's installed, it's just verifying you own the game. If data can be streamed via the internet then it makes sense it could be simply streamed from the disc ... no?

You are streaming video from internet. While on the console you need to read data, to compute. Video is a linear data with every frame being the same amount of data. While data to compute is spread "randomly" on the blu-ray disc, thus reading is not at the full speed and needs to change reading placement constantly.

Uncharted achieved that, because Naughty dog, implemented really nifty tricks to make the data on disc more linear, doing some data redudancy, to achieve maximum performace on the slow blu-ray.

Today tho, with high resolution assets and the huge amount of the assets themselves, this wouldn't be possible, or would be too engineering difficult and not worth when the Hard drive is such a cheap option.

When Ps3 launched, 60gb cost the same as 1tb cost today. So sony and consumers pressured developers for lower data installs. Now the standard is the limitless hard drive install, which makes life easier and cheaper for developers themselves.

Hard drives aren't fast enough either when you consider the main memory is capable of almost 300 GB/sec when a magnetic hard drive can only do 100 MB/sec on a good day in a best case scenario with all the stars lined up. (eg no seeking, perfectly sequential data, eg, not the real world)

Human non volatile storage media is so laughably far behind RAM and CPU capabilities.

Can the PS5 please just have 2048 GB of directly CPU addressable non volatile STT-MRAM or something with no need for any sort of "drive" at all?  Just turn it off, and turn it back on and everything is still there in "RAM".

It's about time we have a real storage revolution that changes the way we use computers in ways as monumental as the transistor and microprocessor itself.

Miguel_Zorro said:
The 1TB versions of the new consoles is pretty much what I've been waiting for. 500GB will fill up too quickly.

same here, as long as it sells for $399 and they drop the 500gb to $349. other wise i could have just bought my own internal HDD. Only thing I'm wondering, does this mean the batman bundle will be lower or the same SHOULD they announce this at e3.