By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Have You Reserved Your Free Upgrade Of WIndows 10?

SpokenTruth said:
Ruler said:
I wont upgrade at all, Microsoft messed enough up allready

But if the product is actually better and free...

fireburn95 said:
I have an i5 with natively installed win 8 I cant see icon HELP!

Do you have basic Win 8 or Win 8.1?  Upgrading to 10 requires 8.1.  

Upgrading from 8 to 8.1 is already free now.  I advise everyone using 8 to upgrade to 8.1 even if they have no intention of upgrading all the way to 10.

"Better" is a wide concept, for most people "better" is 100% compatibility with their current HW and SW without having to replace anything that is still working well. Obviously if one buys a new PC, "better" is very often the latest version of Windows, but even in this case MS product versions x.0 record suggests to avoid adopting them immediately, although MS has quite bettered with time, it evolved from Win 2000, awful at launch and become very good only with SP4 to XP, that depending on user's HW and SW was best with SP2 or 3, to Win 7, already very good, almost excellent with SP1, but immediately before and after Win 7 MS stumbled again, the first time very badly with Vista, that without the preinstalled copies would have been one of its worst flops together with Dos 4, Bob and Win ME, and the second with Win 8 that was far better than Vista but it didn't meet users' tastes until 8.1 (MS mistake again, as it wrongly assumed that a GUI tailored for touch screens could be optimal for non-touch desktops and notebooks too).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Every time I see someone post "is it one year and then a subscription, I get a vicious twitch"...lol. Think of it as a mass (1 year) beta test. Those that help micro iron on the final bugs (in that first year) get rewarded with a copy of Win 10. Given the amount of copies they lose to piracy anyway, this is a price that is so small to them it's nothing. Stop reading mac forums where this subscription nonsense could have only come from.

Me personally I'm gonna wait about a month or 2 to see if my Antivirus and other vital software gets along with it.

Thanks jlmurph!

Pre-ordering NSA trojans, no thank you. /jk

I'll wait for reviews and stuff from the actual release. Also I'll take the freemium edition as MS is okay with that.

Already did, but I want to double check if there will be any compatibility issues with any files/programs I have. This could affect if I want to revoke my pre-order or not.

SpokenTruth said:
RCTjunkie said:
Already did, but I want to double check if there will be any compatibility issues with any files/programs I have. This could affect if I want to revoke my pre-order or not.

Click that Win 10 icon again.  Once open, click the 3 horizontal bars icon for options.  Then click Check Your PC.  It will scan for compatability issues.

That's pretty straightforward. I'll try it when I get home and let you know. Thanks! :)

Around the Network

Reserved mine this morning after I got home from work! My computer has Windows 7 and freezes a lot so hopefully 10 can fix that somehow.

Shadowfest3 said:
Reserved mine this morning after I got home from work! My computer has Windows 7 and freezes a lot so hopefully 10 can fix that somehow.

Usually it does. Because sometimes the registery gets too many unused entries, and those that were not totally removed, that is usually the source of a big percentage of the freezes, other is bad drivers that usually get replaced when the OS is upgraded.

BlkPaladin said:
Shadowfest3 said:

Usually it does. Because sometimes the registery gets too many unused entries, and those that were not totally removed, that is usually the source of a big percentage of the freezes, other is bad drivers that usually get replaced when the OS is upgraded.

Thanks, I look forward to W10 even more now!

Nope. After Windows 8 happened, I'm going to wait and see how 10 turns out before I upgrade. In particular, I'm worried about features that could be removed, or compatibility issues with some programs.

We have an entire year after Windows 10 launches to get the free upgrade. Might as well take advantage of it.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens