By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Have You Reserved Your Free Upgrade Of WIndows 10?

what?!

I have Win 8.1 and I didn't get any notification!!!! :O

Edit: Nevermind!!! But Do I loose any saved files ect if I updgard or will it just change into W10 with all my games, pics and everything still there????????

Around the Network

I still have my old laptop... not been on it in a year but I think i'll get rid of the junk on it (it has a full HDD as I used it to back up stuff) and give W10 a try on that before I put it on my main laptop.

Hiku said:
JEMC said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Hiku said:
twintail said:
im a bit confused. will i have win 10 forever without an additional fee? I heard its free only for a year than its yearly subscriptions...

Wondering about this as well. I've heard different stories about this. Seems a lot of ppl are confused.

When reserving the upgrade, there's an asterik which says this:

That's not what he's asking, the question is if the free upgrade to Win10 will grant you a copy of windows that runs forever or if that Win 10 will be subscription based.

Basically, the question is if the next Windows is like the current Office where we have the traditional Office suite that once bought it's yours forever, and then there is Office365 which only lets you use it for a year.

Yeah, I guess there's still that concern then. I'll have to look into it further. But I suppose we could always revert back to the old Windows version we used before if it comes to that.

We could go back to our old Windows, true. But how many people will do it?

After all, most of the Win PCs are OEM pre-build PCs with users that don't know how to do a fresh Win install. Those users will pay the yearly subscription to avoid that hassle, and Microsoft knows it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Wow, thanks, didn't even see that icon!

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Yes, already did! Really excited for the return of the traditional Start Menu!

Around the Network

I reverved aswell :).

Edit: Does anyone know if this will work on a corrupt windows? Will it fix my registry?

Reserved.

better reserve mine today before the internet runs out of 1s and 0s. :P

Having been running Windows 10 on my PC for several months now I can safely say that anyone that sticks with 7/8 is just in fear of change. Win 10 has so many improvements from both 7/8(8 had many improvements over 7 but too many poor UI changes)

The OS runs smooth, my PC has suffered less crashes since switching from 7 to 10.

Currently on Build 10041.

Windows 10 is 'free' forever. There is no subscription model. The only way that a subscription model would come in is if they introduced it and you decide to buy it. As it stands it works the same way as every windows version beforehand.

The 1 year is a one year period that you can avail of the upgrade.

@reggin_bolas If you are able to run Windows to download and install this then it should fix whatever problem you are having. However if you are unable to run windows you won't be able to access the reserve page. You may need to upgrade from a disc/usb drive. Installing an OS works from the boot menu so if your current version of Windows doesn't work, it won't effect you installing or reinstalling a new version of Windows. I use this technique to 'fix' computers all the time