By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I still believe Microsoft should purchase Crytek... To me, they are their safest bet, alongside Platinum...

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
I still believe Microsoft should purchase Crytek... To me, they are their safest bet, alongside Platinum...

What has Crytek released this gen that is note worth? Anything besides Ryse? 

Even though they haven't released much, they are still a great studio, but they are facing the same problem as Obsidian.

Forza Horizon 4 gets my vote even though I mostly play Halo.

Proud to be a Californian.

Halo for me.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
smroadkill15 said:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but what other AA studios, besides Obsidian, would be a good pick up for MS?

I'm not sure I'd personify Obsidian as only an AA studio, but I get the question.  I remember discussing this with another member on here too.  Three prominent studios that came to mind were all RPG-oriented teams:

-Deck13 (The Surge series)

-Piranha Bytes (Risen series, ELEX)

-Spiders (upcoming GreedFall, The Technomancer)

Now, these devs have made games of varying quality but their concepts and overall design ethos are quite sound.  Bytes and Spiders worst qualities are something a giant, dedicated company can fill: manpower, resources, and technical expertise.  The purchase of all three would probably be the same price as The Initiative built from the ground up.

Yep when it comes to small studios that they can build up to AAA those 3 would be really good purchases, Especially Deck 13 and Spiders. Dontnod and Remedy would be amazing gets for AAA but those would be hard to purchase.

shikamaru317 said:

My most wanted realistic/semi-realistic purchases, other than Obsidian of course:

Sumo Digital- These guys have worked with MS at several points in the past as a 2nd party studio, which already gives MS a potential open door for buying them. They have a talented racing team with Kart experience which could be used to finally make a MS Kart game to enter Microsoft's racing game rotation and give Turn 10 and Playground 3 years per game instead of just 2 years per game. They also have multiple other teams, including the team that is working on Crackdown 3 singleplayer and the team that is working on Dead Island 2. MS would basically be getting 5 AA teams, 3 AAA teams, or a mix of the two such as 2 AAA teams and 2 AA teams depending on how they organized them, which would really help their exclusive output next gen.

Certain Affinity- Founded by former Halo 1 and Halo 2 devs, these guys are top notch, and they've been slowly working on an original IP for years now. So far they haven't found a publisher for the game yet, though a smaller publisher named Leyou invested $10m towards the new IP.

Splash Damage- These guys have been working with MS as a 2nd party studio for the last few years, working on multiplayer for Gears 1 UE and Gears 4. Currently they seem to be working on another Gears game, there were singleplayer job listings for a Gears game at Splash Damage, and they've never worked on Gears singleplayer before. However, buying them is a bit complicated, as they are no longer independent, they were bought by Leyou in 2016, so MS would have to buy them from Leyou, which MS might not be willing to do, though it might be worth it to them rather than having to go through Leyou as a middleman whenever they need Splash Damage to work on a Gears game.

Armature- As you guys know I really liked ReCore, so I'd love to see MS buy Armature, staff them up, and have them make ReCore 2 next gen.

Sumo and Spalsh Damage are just too massive IMO, all of the studios that MS purchased aside from Playground Games (who were a logical purchase) are small teams that they want to build up. I would like to see MS work with Certain Affinity on their game and make it an exclusive before they would even consider a purchase.

Battlefront 2 is $9 in this weeks deals with gold.

Sounds like Crackdown 3 won't be at Gamescom. I feel like MS is sending this game out to die but I think Gamepass will help it hit a million or so players. I still want gameplay though.

shikamaru317 said:

It's definitely looking like you're right about Sumo. They just announced yesterday, after I posted this, that they had acquired another studio, so they are even bigger now than before, over 500 devs now. 

As for Splash Damage, it looks like MS just signed a multi-year 2nd party Gears deal with them rather than buying them and making them 1st party:

“Splash Damage now has a dedicated "Gears of War franchise" team. I expect they have a multi-year deal with Microsoft.”

Yeah this is the second studio that Sumo has purchased this year and they are currently working on 3 AAA games Sonic Racing/Crackdown 3/Dead Island 2 and they will only continue to grow in the future.

We can cross out Spalsh Damage and Certain Affinity off of the potential MS buyouts list, fun fact Splash Damage is owned by Leyou a Chinese company (bought in 2016) who also owns a majority of Digital Extremes (Warframe dev) and in 2017 they bought 20% of Certain Affinity and is funding their GAS game that they are currently developing the deal also includes the option to purchase all remaining shares in the company in 2021 (will most likely happen or at least own the majority like with DE).

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-16-chinese-firm-leyou-buys-20-percent-of-certain-affinity-for-usd10m

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-07-11-splash-damage-sold-to-chinese-poultry-firm