By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CEO Of R* Says PS4/XB1 Power Nowhere Near Realized Yet

bigtakilla said:
Guitarguy said:

I actually wanted to quote my post and bigtakilla's but wasn't sure how to do it in the one post. The difference between Uncharter 1 and 3 is staggering. Sure it is not a generational leap(ie PS2 to PS3, OG Xbox to 360) but it is significant. Will the PS4 and X1 see leaps of this caliber? It is possible surely considering every other console has seen graphical improvements over time. Perfect Dark looked much better than Goldeneye(same developer/console/engine albeit modified), Gran Turismo 4 looked much better than GT3(again same developer/console/engine). GTA5 smokes GTA4 on every level also. I don't see this trend stopping just because these consoles use standardised components.

Opinions, we all got em. If you consider that a great leap I think your selling yourself short though.

That's fine. I think the general consensus would consider that leap quite drastic though.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
bigtakilla said:

Opinions, we all got em. If you consider that a great leap I think your selling yourself short though.

That's fine. I think the general consensus would consider that leap quite drastic though.

Not from what I'm reading here. Most seem to be on the post at best.

I don't expect the difference to be as dramatic as the jump between early and late PS3/360 titles, but we should still see some fairly significant improvements by the end of the 8th gen (and it should happen more rapidly). Software upgrades alone should ensure decent improvements.

The general jump (the average standards of the start versus the end) should be quite large though. The strong focus on cross-gen development this time round has left a lot of room for improvement on the part of 3rd parties. Look at how large the technical jump between AC4 and ACU was (ignoring that the latter was released in a sub-standard state :p).

Zekkyou said:
I don't expect the difference to be as dramatic as the jump between early and late PS3/360 titles, but we should still see some fairly significant improvements by the end of the 8th gen (and it should happen more rapidly). Software upgrades alone should ensure decent improvements.

The general jump (the average standards of the start versus the end) should be quite large though. The strong focus on cross-gen development this time round has left a lot of room for improvement on the part of 3rd parties. Look at how large the technical jump between AC4 and ACU was (ignoring that the latter was released in a sub-standard state :p).

And one was multiplat.

bigtakilla said:
Zekkyou said:

And one was multiplat.

Eh?

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
bigtakilla said:

And one was multiplat.

Eh?

Apologies, cross gen I mean.

bigtakilla said:
Zekkyou said:

Eh?

Apologies, cross gen I mean.

Ah, you mean in regards to AC4 vs ACU? If so then yeah, that was kind of the point of my latter paragraph :p "The strong focus on cross-gen development this time round has left a lot of room for improvement on the part of 3rd parties."

bigtakilla said:
Normchacho said:

I would like to direct you to Guitarguys post on Uncharted 1 and 3. I'd also like to point you to Call of Duty 3 for 360 and PS3 vs. Advanced Warfare for the same consoles.

I'd also like to reiterate the point that the devs are saying that we'll see significant improvement and they actually know what they're talking about.

*Edit*, my bad, you wanted me to talk about the PS3 versions. Yeah, true the leap is surely better than Uncharted Vs TLOU, but they are also a multiplats (one from PS2 era and from Xbone). That's like saying let's look at Ghosts and Advance Warfare for Xbone. SEE HOW AMAZING IT LOOKS! Bad point is bad point. Hardly any optimization. 

I'd also like to point out that these same devs that "know what they are talking about" gave us watchdogs, AC Unity, Destiny, Titanfall and have all come up short on promises.... Just saying.

Rockstar is a pretty well respected dev, and if I remember correctly Naughty Dog and Crytek have both said that we'll see big bumps in graphics over the course of this gen. Boths studios that certainly know how to make a game look good. Sucker Punch has also said that they have a long way to go before they reach the full potential of the PS4.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

bigtakilla said:
Normchacho said:

I would like to direct you to Guitarguys post on Uncharted 1 and 3. I'd also like to point you to Call of Duty 3 for 360 and PS3 vs. Advanced Warfare for the same consoles.

I'd also like to reiterate the point that the devs are saying that we'll see significant improvement and they actually know what they're talking about.

*Edit*, my bad, you wanted me to talk about the PS3 versions. Yeah, true the leap is surely better than Uncharted Vs TLOU, but they are also a multiplats (one from PS2 era and from Xbone). That's like saying let's look at Ghosts and Advance Warfare for Xbone. SEE HOW AMAZING IT LOOKS! Bad point is bad point. Hardly any optimization. 

I'd also like to point out that these same devs that "know what they are talking about" gave us watchdogs, AC Unity, Destiny, Titanfall and have all come up short on promises.... Just saying.

Woah which major dev team made all those games? I assume they blow most of their budget on cocaine to churn out all that.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I like that there are people who say, "no, because graphics won't look that much better," as though that is the only improvement that matters.

I don't know about anyone else but game-play advances, especially simultaneous content, is what came to my mind first.