By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CEO Of R* Says PS4/XB1 Power Nowhere Near Realized Yet

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One games released so far haven't come close to taking full advantage of those systems' power. That's according to Strauss Zelnick, the CEO of Rockstar and 2K Games parent company Take-Two Interactive, who said during a recent presentation that the best is yet to come.

"We have yet to see entirely what the technology can allow," Zelnick said during the 43rd Annual Technology, Media & Telecom Conference this week in New York City. "We've had a couple releases for new-gen, but I don't think we remotely have seen what can be done, and that's super exciting. And that speaks to many of our titles; hopefully all of our titles, ultimately."

Zelnick's comments follow those from PlayStation president Andrew House, who said earlier this week that he's optimistic that E3 2015 next month will deliver games that take fuller advantage of the new consoles.

"I think it will be a show where we see the next generation of hardware really start to deliver great content and experiences that, if not take full advantage of the platform, take a lot more advantage than we've seen before," he said at the time.

The most high-profile of Take-Two's current-generation releases thus far was Grand Theft Auto V. This comes with something of an asterisk, however, as the game is an updated version of a last-generation title, albeit with some major new features and changes.

Take-Two's other current-generation titles include games from its 2K Games and 2K Sports labels such as Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, NBA 2K15, WWE 2K15, and Evolve.

Looking ahead, Take-Two has a number of current-generation games in the pipeline, including NBA 2K16, WWE 2K16, Battleborn, Borderlands 3, and possibly the mysterious "Advent" project.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-xbox-one-power-nowhere-near-realized-yet-gta-b/1100-6427692/

Play Me

Around the Network

everyone always says that

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Oh but just you wait till the developers harness the TRUE power of the PS3!

yoscrafty said:

Brah...

Same hardware, same developer, same type of game, only difference is time.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

yep.. I mean there are parts in second son that look near photorealistic..... same for kz sf, most big IP after those have been rereleases

mM
Around the Network

As long as the game is enjoyable in the end I could care less if it's the most real thing seen on a console game. If its both, than we're talking.....but most devs seem to sacrifice a lot for these graphics. A game like Last of Us was just fine for me.

Preston Scott

Well they better hurry up, the NX Zelda E3 tech demo is going to be rolling around next E3 according to a lot of people, and if it does...

I don't think there will be huge improvement.

There's no crazy architecture with this gen's consoles, they're straightforward and easy to harness.

Of course, devs will get better at making the most of the hardware, but there won't be anywhere near the dramatic improvement we saw on PS3/360.

Normchacho said:
yoscrafty said:

Brah...

Same hardware, same developer, same type of game, only difference is time.

Except your pic of TLOU is from the PS4 version...

I think you are looking for pics like this...

Better than Uncharted? Yeah, but again let's not go crazy. 

The PS3 to an extreme extent, and 360 to a moderately high extent were systems that REALLY took some long seat-time to squeeze everything out of. Ridiculous compression techniques and optimizations were necessary due to terrible memory constraints, multi-core coding was relatively new in the gaming space, and architectures like Cell and Xenon were total mysteries.

This time around it's mostly off the shelf stuff with no real surprises. Only outlier is GPGPU and some other oddball stuff that might come in handy in some way.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03/11/naughty-dog-explains-ps4s-cpu-memory-and-more-in-detail-and-how-they-can-make-them-run-really-fast/