By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do Zelda Console games take 5 years to develop.... ?

I think Zelda is the one franchise where there really isn't room for a ton of fan criticism

practically every Zelda game has been absolutely fantastic and brought something new and great (maybe minus Skyward Sword) DUE to the extra time and thought put into it

The Legend of Zelda on the NES, Link to the Past on the SNES, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess - for me Zelda through the history of gaming is always at the forefront of adventure games

Nintendo has been kind of slow lately with putting out Zelda, sure, but an open world Zelda concept is pretty revolutionary when compared with the series in the past (it was like half-open at times although extremely linear)

from what Nintendo has been saying, they are pushing this to be a pretty huge Zelda compared to the past

Around the Network
TheFallen said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
I think they experiment and come up with new ideas too much, which is why Zelda got delayed presumably to next year. Maybe it takes a long time to start off as the basic story and ideas ect need to be thought of.

That said, it makes it a better game overall but I wouldn't mind them having a bigger development team so it only takes 4 years.

Yeah I agree that obviously I prefer for them to make the game better and such,. BUT, Is lengthening development time the only way that Nintendo can achieve this? Or like you suggested , expanding their dev team. Nintendo seems to be like a painter that can't stop adding extra details to their painting. Finding the right time to stop is tricky .

is it tricky though? Nintendo has released hundreds of top tier games in the last decade and spent, relatively speaking, a lot of time on each of their games compared to other developers.

I think Nintendo knows exactly what they need to do to make their software the best and complete enough to keep their fans stoked. I feel as if that's the tradeoff, wait a bit longer (maybe an extra year) and get the game you will exactly want. sure, Nintendo could release a 'pretty good' Zelda game in less time, but when considering the open world and HD elements certainly it makes sense that Nintendo is spending extra time to keep their legendary quality up

I was bummed when I originally heard about the delay too, but it happens

Mythmaker1 said:
JNK said:
they do take ALOT time into planning the game. The games are often very unique and all the dungeons and riddles have to be thought.
Making a Zelda game is easily compareable to making a GTA game.

That doesn't strike me as a particularly apt comparison. In terms of sheer scale, these games are very different animals. And Zelda dungeons are, with very few exceptions, not exactly complex, or even particularly deep; they aren't bad, but they're pretty simple overall.

ehhhh I think you are missing the point, Zelda dungeons aren't necessarily the biggest around, but they are legendary in terms of clever design and puzzles. I think you are underestimating the difficulty in successfully pulling off a mix of puzzle/combat large dungeons in games. Its easy to do a game that is primarily combat sort of dungeon (think of the plethora of ones in a game like the Elder Scrolls), or to do a puzzle heavy type (think a Tomb Raider game), but the balance Zelda games have is something unique

bear in mind practically no other studio has been able to successfully pull off a similar type of game mechanic as consistently or very often

also its a regularly mentioned thing that Nintendo prefers using smaller teams that can work better together, cohesively, rather than giant teams just scraping through as much work as possible.

a company like Rockstar generally presents more QUANTITY over QUALITY. Nintendo and Rockstar are just about opposites and their development process is no exception to that, beyond the fact that both take a while to make big flagship games (again one taking a long time based on the sheer size of game, the other with perfecting the details)

Arlo said:
Because they always build from scratch, and I have NO IDEA why. Why can't we get another Majora's Mask situation? Especially with development costs rising, it makes no sense to reinvent the wheel every time and only release two games per decade.

you say that but wait until a Metroid the Other M situation occurs where a Zelda game gets shot out to the public too early with a stupid concept or mediocre gameplay.... you'll feel differently then!

first and foremost quality matters. people keep mentioning Ocarina of Time to Wind Waker as if that was some mega quick transition period, that was 4 years and recall that the new Zelda game was originally planned to come out in 2015 and unfortunately has been delayed, but it had stuck to plan then it would have been in line with practically every year separation between Zelda's Nintendo has had in the past

mZuzek said:
I feel like the comparisons with GTA here are a bit shallow. You guys are missing something.

Zelda has a lot of artistic creation behind it. For every new game, they have to come up with a new gameplay mechanic, artstyle, world, story, characters etc. etc. etc. to keep the game fresh. If you look at stuff like the artwork in Hyrule Historia, it's clear they spend a lot of time designing each and every part of the game to make it unique.

GTA doesn't have that. They have all the artistic process done from scratch - copy a real world town with realistic visuals, make a cliche story involving crime and corruption, and don't make lots of significant changes to gameplay or new mechanics/twists. They pretty much start development with the artistic process basically done.

The Zelda team delays the games because they shift focus during development with new ideas for what they want to create - GTA doesn't have this problem because from the start it's already set in stone what the game should play like.

this, the reality is that one Zelda game to the next, the difference is far more stark than a GTA to a GTA (which generally are exactly the same in terms of game mechanics).

biggest issue GTA has to conern itself with is worldsize and graphics updates, not completely new game mechanics and world art/design, something Nintendo is constantly creatively considering

Around the Network
Mythmaker1 said:
JNK said:

ive played ss and gta v and both games are on a same level in size and co. dunno what ur talking about.

i need about 40 hours for both to complete. both had same diversion and co.

What I'm talking about is scale and mechanical depth. Skyward Sword has a very small scale and very little mechanical depth. I can't speak to the mechanical depth of GTAV, but the scale of that game is enormous.

As far as "40 hours", I can only believe that it takes you that long to 100% Skyward Sword. As far as GTAV goes, not including multiplayer, there looks to be far more content.

don't be too naive about it though, the reality is that a huge amount of what you are seeing in GTA V is blank space. its not as if you can enter a vast majority of buildings in the city

bear in mind that Rockstar is prioritizing SIZE/SCALE. that is the biggest thing the GTA games have going for them. but few 'activities' in the GTA games are done remotely as well as Nintendo's combat and puzzle mechanics

not dishing on the GTA games, it's just apples and oranges. drawing a perfect circle can easily take much longer than drawing 100 uneven squares, what I'm pointing out is that Nintendo with Zelda vs Rockstar with GTA is apples and oranges, both in goals of what their games are and what the developers time is focused on

the Zelda team undoubtedly spends a lot more time just 'thinking' because Zelda games are quite different from one another in terms of atmosphere and style. all of the GTA games have the exact same style and general character activities

again, not putting down GTA, but the reality is you can jump on a project much more quickly, big or small, if you already know exactly essentiall what you're going to do with it

if Nintendo simply wanted to create a new Ocarina of Time over and over with a bigger world, better graphics, and more activities then it would be a much more quick production cycle. but that's the opposite of what they do, they try to revolutionize their series

tolu619 said:

"Heavily built on previous gens" and "been using the same engine since the N64 days" are not the same thing. You don't seem to know what an engine is in software architecture. You're acting like this is an argument between you and I in which one person has to win. It isn't. I simply corrected your wrong statement and you simply refuse to hear the truth. You clearly don't have much to say in response to what I've explained, seeing as you specifically picked out one example, the example I cited about converting to Unity, and then failed to explain why my example or explanation was wrong. You can chose not to learn, but I'll bet some others who have read my posts would learn a few things. That's supposed to be one of the advantages of forums. I've learnt a lot from people here, and it shouldn't be hard to research the validity of my statements. You have search engines at your disposal. And you can also ask your friend who works/worked at Microsoft whether your statement about using the same engine is even possible.

@Rolstoppable, your point about the treatment of the Zelda team sounds very likely now that you explain it.

There's is nothing to learn from you, other than how to be obnoxious.  The Zelda team (and the GTA team) (and the Windows team!) have used the same basic framework for eons.  They build on it each generation.  A software "engine" is a framework used in game development that may include things like rendering engine, physics engine, sound, ai, etc.  Very little has changed in the core physics and gameplay of Zelda or GTA since the N64.  Elements have been added and improved gen on gen, but the foundation lies in those early 3D games.

The main point is, however, that people defend Zelda's long dev time by saying it is build from scratch with each title, which is silly.  The visuals are either new or improved, but the game mechanics have hardly changed at all. 

bigtakilla said:

I would be more accepting of a 5 year development if the results were groundbreaking or exceptional in execution.  But we haven't seen that. We have seen the Zelda team toil for a year or two, rework the game, then release a product that is of lesser quality, innovation, impact and reception than its predecessors.

GTA V took the longest Dev time in the series yet, but few would argue that it offers the best GTA experience yet, and it has reviewed and sold as the best title in years.

Maybe you missed this

video

when polling multiple thousands of people Skyward Sword beat out OOT in every single catagory. Skyward Sword IS considered a masterpiece by all but the vocal minority who hate the motion controls. 

Nah, that's not true at all.  It has a 93 meta vs OoT's 99.  OoT also has sold over 10 million copies while SS struggled to sell just under 4.  Very few people would put SS at the top of the Zelda heap, but probably most would put OoT there.  Personally, the best ever for me is the original, but I digress.

The bottom line is SS, upon its release, did not see a single call for "best game ever" and didn't even get much consideration for game of the year.  Every Zelda in the past was a landmark, ground-breaking title.  SS was not.  It was "just" a real good game.  That's fine, but if you're Nintendo - the supposed finest game maker on the planet - and Zelda is your showcase series, that's not good enough.

If the games are simply going to be "good new entries in a beloved serires", and not an amazing new gameplay experience unlike anything before it, then the team should tighten up the dev schedule and stop fiddling around with pointless new game ideas for a few years before reworking everything.

Miyamotoo said:

Yes, you missing something.

You: Recent Zeldas have been of poorer quality but taking longer to make.

Me: 99 quality game probably will never happen again, all other Zelda scores are around 95 and SS is 93, yes truly so poorer quality. Every new Zelda is becoming bigger and more complex, so its needed more time, especially if it is first HD, most open and with biggest world in any Zelda game.

If we look development of all previous Zelda games and Zelda U, I think only SS need to be finished in less time, but like I wrote, I think late implantation of Motion Controls affect on long development of SS.

Why you think Zelda U will not be one of the best Zelda experience ever, all we heard or saw about Zelda U is very very promising.

SS should have been done quicker, and now Zelda U.  I have truly high hopes for Zelda U because I think they have learned from a number of mistakes with SS.  It looks very promising.  But at the same time, it has literally been a decade since a Zelda title was at the forefront of the gaming industry.  A decade!  That's a failure for the team.

Perfection takes time.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!