By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people on this site think Splatoon is going to do so well?

Splatoon sales prediction

<500k 91 13.28%

500K-800k 123 17.96%

800k-1.2 million 131 19.12%

1.2million-1.6 million 100 14.60%

1.6million-2million 70 10.22%

2 million+ 170 24.82%

Total:685
Burek said:
So, assuming I made no math errors, Splatoon sold less that 21K in the UK: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7305788

This doesn't seem very good to me, so I guess I was correct in predicting this game not doing well.

5th fastest selling game for Wii U sounds very good, also UK for Nintendo is probably weakest market in Europe.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
tbone51 said:

honestly, dont be pessimistic!!!

Selling 140k minimum fw already putting predictions to shame. w101 level of sales??? C'monnnnnn :)

its doing good so far in just one region, i dont see it doing well in the USA or at all in EU. 

Oh really??? Well good luck with that! 

Burek said:
So, assuming I made no math errors, Splatoon sold less that 21K in the UK: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7305788

This doesn't seem very good to me, so I guess I was correct in predicting this game not doing well.

You came to that conclusion based off of UK? Nintendo's worst market?

tbone51 said:
Burek said:

It's also where the game is the cheapest. US price is about 50% more expensive than UK, the $60 price will kill it there.

Burek said:
tbone51 said:

It's also where the game is the cheapest. US price is about 50% more expensive than UK, the $60 price will kill it there.

Yea, that doesnt really matter. You can believe that if you want when splatoon is most expensive in japan yet it sold over 135k FW

Edit: yourt right, its gonna be killed here in the US, under 50k in the NPD. Its going to bomb!!!!

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

Yea, that doesnt really matter. You can believe that if you want when splatoon is most expensive in japan yet it sold over 135k FW

Edit: yourt right, its gonna be killed here in the US, under 50k in the NPD. Its going to bomb!!!!

You cannot judge anything by the Japanese market, their tastes differ quite a bit from the west.

And as for US, Nintendo is the only one kind enough to provide actual numbers for NPD, and we will have to rely on them, because the game most certainly will not be in the report (outside Top 10).

Burek said:
tbone51 said:

You cannot judge anything by the Japanese market, their tastes differ quite a bit from the west.

And as for US, Nintendo is the only one kind enough to provide actual numbers for NPD, and we will have to rely on them, because the game most certainly will not be in the report (outside Top 10).

You think Splatoon isnt going to be in the top 10 report? What are these 10 games that will top it? GTA/WItcher/MKX.... what else? or are you expecting that much of a bomb?

As for japan, i can base a judgement. Many predictions were under 60-70k, it broke practically all expectations on gaf and here. I had one of the highest predictions for FW sales and even my prediction was overshot.

And usually US>Japan on these types of releases, though it could be less, but not as low as your making it out to be

Miyamotoo said:

That level of splash are causing only games with blood, violence and realistic graphics. For game that dont have blood, violence and realistic graphics, I think Splatoon cause very good splash.

It does matter how game is sells on launch, Pikmin 3 was sold around 120k first week, Xenoblade was sold around 95k first week, and for Splatoon we know it sold around 125k first day.

Also, Splatoon targeting much wider audence than games like Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade. Splatoon is game for everyone, from 5-95 and why Nintendo is targeting Mario Kart and Smash audience with very strong marketing.

You think it will sell 300-400k in first week, but we already know that in Japan is probably around 150k, so you think for rest of world will sell only 150-250k!?

Splatoon will have very good legs because of free content and marketing that goes with it. And no, Splatoon don't look like Indie game, especially to people that played Test Demo or know more informations about game like a Wii U owners.

Splatoon easily could reach 2m at end of year.

For a game without violence, splatoon has solid scores, but in the end, an 81-82 on metacritic is really nothing to brag about. When I talk to friends, I don't hear "hey man, did you see splatoon, it got an agreggate score of 81!", the last of us on the other hand was REALLY talked about due to having many many perfect scores. That is the kind of splash that a new ip should have to be huge, either that or the level of marketing call of duty or destiny got.

we know Japan is 150k shipped not sold, if I had to guess, it is 130k sold. And I do not believe Europe is that Nintendo centric, nor is America willing to pay $60 for a budget game that should be $40. So yes, I do think this game will overall do 300k-400k first week.

Splatoon is game for everyone, from 5-95 and why Nintendo is targeting Mario Kart and Smash audience with very strong marketing.

This is the very reason splatoon will not have great legs. Because it is not competing against call of duty, rather the already established nintendo ip. I can tell you now, many people who will buy a wii u will buy mario kart or super smash bros first, then super mario 3d world, then donkey kong country, hyrule warriors, or pikmin 3, and then if they still want to buy more, splatoon. Essentially this issue of "low priority" is one that many 3rd party games struggle with on nintendo consoles, and splatoon is no different.

the "free content" you mentioned should have been there to begin with, so yes it will help over the summer, but at the expense of releasing a half finished game (affects reviews and initial buyers), so in the end the dlc brings momentum to compensate for the momentum lost at launch.

I'm sorry, but to many people that I have talked to (as a wii u owner talking to other wii u owners) it does look like an indie/budget game.

I very highly doubt splatoon will reach 2 million by the end of the year, and I am willing to bet on that.

Miyamotoo said:
thatguymarco said:

I also doubt any of those games will ever reach the sale numbers that Ninty fans first said they would. Bayonetta should be enough prove of this.

Bayonetta is very specific genre of game and not most popular for Nintendo users, Splatoon is perfect game for Nintendo users and it much wider audence and it have very strong marketing.

Japan is already proving this, Bayonetta is sold around 60k first week in Japan (im not 100% sure), and Splatoon will sell around 150k.

I doubt it, this is basically the Bayonetta situation all over again, the only thing that Ninty fans might find more appealing here it's the art-style and over-all presentation and themes in the game, the genre is still unfamiliar in Nintendo territory.

I'm now filled with determination.

thatguymarco said:
Miyamotoo said:

Bayonetta is very specific genre of game and not most popular for Nintendo users, Splatoon is perfect game for Nintendo users and it much wider audence and it have very strong marketing.

Japan is already proving this, Bayonetta is sold around 60k first week in Japan (im not 100% sure), and Splatoon will sell around 150k.

I doubt it, this is basically the Bayonetta situation all over again, the only thing that Ninty fans might find more appealing here it's the art-style and over-all presentation and themes in the game, the genre is still unfamiliar in Nintendo territory.

Splatoon is probably going to outsell Bayo2 current lifetime in its first week. How are the same?

And the genre doesnt matter, again japan is proving that with over 135k sales FW with sellouts all over the place (not many games get over 100k FW in japan and this is a new ip on a terrible selling console