By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support Polyamory? Polygamy?

Do you support Polyamory? Polygamy?

I support both. 78 48.75%

I support neither. 62 38.75%

Polyamory only. 20 12.50%

Total:160
outlawauron said:
I don't support in terms of "I think it's ok and would think of partaking in it". I think it's pretty horrible and can only lead to disfunction, but I do think that people can engage in it if they want to with other consenting parties.

I feel the same way towards monogamy. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
zelmusario said:

That's so weird, since my experience has been so different from yours. Many of my gay friends are in open relationships where they're emotionally committed to each other, but explore other partners sexually. Full consent between both parties exists and everyone seems like they're happy, at least on the surface. I guess it surprises me since I don't know anyone in a 3-way relationship, but I would think that the LGBT crowd would be open to polygamy/polyamory more readily than others. 

I think as long as everyone consents than live and let live. I don't claim to fully understand or identify with these concepts and I don't think I could ever be a part of a polygamous/polyamorous relationship, but that doesn't mean others can't. 

Well I am kind of in a open-relationship right now. The person I'm with thinks of the other encounters he and I have mostly as sexual and friendly rather than romantic, and also holds such negative beliefs with regards to polyamory/polygamy (which we both agree requires romantic involvement with more than one.) I think most gays have similar beliefs, at least the ones I've spoken with. They can imagine having sex with multiple people at once, but not being romantically involved with multiple people at once, if that makes sense. 

Well, yeah and I probably misled you here. Although we haven't explored it yet, I would totally be open to my partner and I having sexual encounters with others TOGETHER (like it sounds like you and your partner/bf do), but wouldn't be ok being in a romantic relationship with 2 other people. We can both be jealous bitches and I think it'd be too messy emotionally.  I also don't think I'd be ok with either my partner or I having sexual encounters with others that we aren't both involved in and I know he feels the same way. In other words, we play together or not at all. lol 

I will say that I'm open to considering other options later on in life and my views aren't set in stone. As long as you have that foundation of love, respect, honesty and committment, I think you can make any kind of relationship work. 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

I would love to have another wife besides the one i have now. Sadly she isn't fond of the idea.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

I can think of over two dozen instances of polygamy in the Torah, the religious text from which all morals originate so therefore it is traditional and acceptable. Seriously though, as a libertarian with an immense hatred for authoritarianism and theocracy I know that I have no right to force my beliefs and traditions upon anybody who is doing no harm to themselves or others. Hence I have no problem with any polygamy or polyamory despite the fact that I see monogamy as preferable.

zelmusario said:
sc94597 said:

Well I am kind of in a open-relationship right now. The person I'm with thinks of the other encounters he and I have mostly as sexual and friendly rather than romantic, and also holds such negative beliefs with regards to polyamory/polygamy (which we both agree requires romantic involvement with more than one.) I think most gays have similar beliefs, at least the ones I've spoken with. They can imagine having sex with multiple people at once, but not being romantically involved with multiple people at once, if that makes sense. 

Well, yeah and I probably misled you here. Although we haven't explored it yet, I would totally be open to my partner and I having sexual encounters with others TOGETHER (like it sounds like you and your partner/bf do), but wouldn't be ok being in a romantic relationship with 2 other people. We can both be jealous bitches and I think it'd be too messy emotionally.  I also don't think I'd be ok with either my partner or I having sexual encounters with others that we aren't both involved in and I know he feels the same way. In other words, we play together or not at all. lol 

I will say that I'm open to considering other options later on in life and my views aren't set in stone. As long as you have that foundation of love, respect, honesty and committment, I think you can make any kind of relationship work. 

I used to feel jealousy about it, but the more we've done it, the less jealous I feel. I do get more jealous if he is with somebody and I not, but even then it has become less of an issue. I realize that most of my jealousy comes from a fear of losing out on our interactions than comparing myself to the other person. In a polyamory or polygamy this would be less of a fear because you are agreeing with everyone that it is the three (or more) of you, and that is how you want it. At least, that is how I would imagine it would work. When everyone cares about everyone else (I've noticed with our threesomes) jealousy becomes much less of an issue as we are happy to see the other two enjoy eachother and we know that we will likewise get that enjoyment without losing anything. 

Around the Network
Clyde32 said:
gergroy said:

The FLDS.  There was a bunch of a news about their leader warren jeffs getting arrested and convicted of rape a few years back.  They mostly live in a city along the Utah/Arizona border called Colorado city.

About 7-8 years ago there was a bunch of drama with the FLDS. Gotta say, they aren't the best group around.

FLDS are like the chinese knockoff version of LDS church,they are pretty shady and terrible. I live in SLC born and raised. I am not mormon myself but family is. I respect the Mormons a lot.  Tho don't always agree with the religion but that's any religion for me.  I always find it funny when people think Mormons still practice it. They havn't since the 1800s when utah made it illegal to become a state.

Ryudo said:
Clyde32 said:

About 7-8 years ago there was a bunch of drama with the FLDS. Gotta say, they aren't the best group around.

FLDS are like the chinese knockoff version of LDS church,they are pretty shady and terrible. I live in SLC born and raised. I am not mormon myself but family is. I respect the Mormons a lot.  Tho don't always agree with the religion but that's any religion for me.  I always find it funny when people think Mormons still practice it. They havn't since the 1800s when utah made it illegal to become a state.

1890 is when the Manifesto was signed. They had people down in Mexico practicing it until the early 1900s though.

I don't see a problem with either one as long as all parties involved support it, though I don't see myself in either of those situations.

I personally am a monogamist, but I'm not going to judge anybody who differs.

As long as people are not being hurt or their rights are not being infringed upon, then we can really pass no moral judgement on this matter... Love comes in all different forms. We need to be accepting of others and that is all there is to it.

1doesnotsimply

As someone who had a failed marriage as result of the other's A-sexuality, I'm pretty open to most anything and have certain refrains about monogamy.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(