By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you support Polyamory? Polygamy?

Do you support Polyamory? Polygamy?

I support both. 78 48.75%

I support neither. 62 38.75%

Polyamory only. 20 12.50%

Total:160

As far as personal relationships...knock yourself out. Actual marriages, however?

Let me be blunt, NO. No, I don't support polyamory for any sort of legal privileges the way marriage does. It's difficult enough to have a marriage last with two people when there's only one relationship to worry about. Three people means three separate relationships, which means the whole affair is three times more complicated.

If our divorce rate was less than 1% and a third person did something other than spice up the bed, I might change my opinion, but with it close to 50%? I will be generous and assume that polyamory will have the same divorce rate--we all know jealousy will make it markedly higher, but let's ignore that. That's a 13% chance there won't be a divorce.

Let me rephrase that: if you have children, there's an 87% chance you will be giving them a highly stressful and potentially emotionally damaging experience. How is this not irresponsible and foolish?

Around the Network
Egann said:
As far as personal relationships...knock yourself out. Actual marriages, however?

Let me be blunt, NO. No, I don't support polyamory for any sort of legal privileges the way marriage does. It's difficult enough to have a marriage last with two people when there's only one relationship to worry about. Three people means three separate relationships, which means the whole affair is three times more complicated.

If our divorce rate was less than 1% and a third person did something other than spice up the bed, I might change my opinion, but with it close to 50%? I will be generous and assume that polyamory will have the same divorce rate--we all know jealousy will make it markedly higher, but let's ignore that. That's a 13% chance there won't be a divorce.

Let me rephrase that: if you have children, there's an 87% chance you will be giving them a highly stressful and potentially emotionally damaging experience. How is this not irresponsible and foolish?

Would the divorce rate automatically go up though? Even if we assume there would be more jealousy (which I'm not sure of, if somebody is going into a polygamy then they must already know they have a higher tolerance of jealousy) what about other reasons couples divorce like stress caused by raising kids/earning income? If three or more people pooled their resources together and made decisions, financial hardships might be fewer and less severe. Also such couples might be more thoughtful and create contracts that explain how everything splits up (maybe make it a requirement?) Honestly, I don't think marriage should mean benefits, and all people who want to get married and be identified as ONE by the state should be required to construct at least a basic contract explaining what happens upon divorce. That includes two persons or ten. 

I support polygamy only when it's allow by the Lord and given as a revelation. Polyamory on the hand I can't say I agree with but I can't judge anyone who does that. Everyone has free will and can do what they may.

I don't care if someone is into those or not. If they want to, go for it. Personally, I'm not into it. I prefer to date one woman simply because it's easier for me to focus on one woman versus trying to divide my affection/attention between multiple women.

I think you guys are mostly thinking about polyandry and polygyny. There can also be multiple husbands and wives whom you don't have sex with, but they have sex with each-other, but everyone helps take care of the family and has a familial love for everyone else.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Clyde32 said:

What city?

Salt lake (specifically Taylorsville)

I go near Taylorsville pretty much every day. I live in Sandy, work in South Salt Lake, and go to School in Taylorsville.

sc94597 said:
A while back I was reading the book "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein for probably the third time. In that book there is a particularly interesting group marriage (which also was a line marriage I think) that had a head husband and a head wife. I was trying to explain it to two of my friends who are gay (like myself) and they just blew polygamy off as patriarchs marrying young girls and that it could never work out and we should not associate with polygamists NOR polyamorists. I've since asked many people gay, straight, bisexual, etc alike and they also have similar opinions on it. It didn't matter if they were religions or irreligious, they hold said beliefs. Its interesting seeing the responses here are so positive. I see myself living a very single life, but I can also see myself in a polygamous group marriage where you have the freedom expressed in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It just baffles me how people who are part of groups that were told they couldn't marry or discriminated against because of their relationship choices feel like they should do that to others, most of all.

That's so weird, since my experience has been so different from yours. Many of my gay friends are in open relationships where they're emotionally committed to each other, but explore other partners sexually. Full consent between both parties exists and everyone seems like they're happy, at least on the surface. I guess it surprises me since I don't know anyone in a 3-way relationship, but I would think that the LGBT crowd would be open to polygamy/polyamory more readily than others. 

I think as long as everyone consents than live and let live. I don't claim to fully understand or identify with these concepts and I don't think I could ever be a part of a polygamous/polyamorous relationship, but that doesn't mean others can't. 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

I personally don't care what other people do, if it makes them happy and isn't hurting anyone physically or emotionally. However, in my own personal life, any relationship I have would have to be monogamous, and I'm more than happy to be alone if that's too much to ask.

I support both. It's up to the individuals. That said, in the case of polygamy, all linked people should be present at the moment the (new) individuals are married.

Then we get to the definition of marriage, which I feel should be purely a cultural thing with no governmental or legal ties. Instead, I support registered relationships for all, and that should be the thing with possible legal ties. Problem solved, definition of marriage not altered!

zelmusario said:
sc94597 said:
A while back I was reading the book "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein for probably the third time. In that book there is a particularly interesting group marriage (which also was a line marriage I think) that had a head husband and a head wife. I was trying to explain it to two of my friends who are gay (like myself) and they just blew polygamy off as patriarchs marrying young girls and that it could never work out and we should not associate with polygamists NOR polyamorists. I've since asked many people gay, straight, bisexual, etc alike and they also have similar opinions on it. It didn't matter if they were religions or irreligious, they hold said beliefs. Its interesting seeing the responses here are so positive. I see myself living a very single life, but I can also see myself in a polygamous group marriage where you have the freedom expressed in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It just baffles me how people who are part of groups that were told they couldn't marry or discriminated against because of their relationship choices feel like they should do that to others, most of all.

That's so weird, since my experience has been so different from yours. Many of my gay friends are in open relationships where they're emotionally committed to each other, but explore other partners sexually. Full consent between both parties exists and everyone seems like they're happy, at least on the surface. I guess it surprises me since I don't know anyone in a 3-way relationship, but I would think that the LGBT crowd would be open to polygamy/polyamory more readily than others. 

I think as long as everyone consents than live and let live. I don't claim to fully understand or identify with these concepts and I don't think I could ever be a part of a polygamous/polyamorous relationship, but that doesn't mean others can't. 

Well I am kind of in a open-relationship right now. The person I'm with thinks of the other encounters he and I have mostly as sexual and friendly rather than romantic, and also holds such negative beliefs with regards to polyamory/polygamy (which we both agree requires romantic involvement with more than one.) I think most gays have similar beliefs, at least the ones I've spoken with. They can imagine having sex with multiple people at once, but not being romantically involved with multiple people at once, if that makes sense.