By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans Vs. Third-Party Developers & Entitlement

Again with this topic. Third parties dont need nintendo and nintendo fans are fine with no Third parties support. Nothing will change this gen and honestly neither next gen.

Around the Network

The "Wii U owners should put up/shouldn't put up with X/Y/Z" is a false arguement anyway.

Most Wii U who would have interest in games like COD, AC, Destiny, etc. etc. don't buy only Nintendo consoles. Probably the majority of "Nintendo fans" learned a long time ago to buy a Playstation or XBox if they have a big desire for "non-Nintendo" software at some point in the last 20 years. 

So they have access to all third party content one way or another.

The Nintendo fan that only buys Nintendo hardware likely doesn't have much of an interest in the types of third party games the PS/XBox get. 

So which audience here is really being victimized? The Nintendo-only gamer who's dying to play Calladooty? This audience doesn't exist. This is just outrage for the sake of being outraged. No one in the Nintendo community really give two farts about having Project: CARS on the Wii U. 

Is this Nintendo fans? I am reading this stuff from the gaming news sites.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm not talking about Nintendo getting back "hardcore" gamers that are on Playstation/Xbox, more like I think they should find a way to attract kids/families again, the type of people who don't care or know that a game is 1st, 2nd or 3rd party. Offer up a bunch of new, exciting ip that can appeal to many different demographics. Nintendo has seen a lot of success with games that appeal to a more casual audience, Super Mario, Tetris, Mario Kart, Pokemon Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit. Is it a coincidence that every Nintendo game to sell over 10 million is a casual friendly title? I think not.

true but they havent stopped making those games and it really has done jack all for the sales of the console and IMHO thats not an audience one should be putting there all into as we learned with WIi they are fickle

That's the thing tho, the casual adience isn't simply content with sequels, they want new experiences and Nintendo stopped providing that in the last few years of the previous generation and has barely provided that during this generation. People don't want to spend $300 on a console for Wii Fit 3 or Wii Sports Remastered.

When was the last time they made a casual focused new ip with a strong advertising push? Tomodachi Life is really the only big one they have done this generation and it's on track to sell over 5 million. Splatoon has potential and it's seems like it might end up doing well but it's probably a case of too little, too late. If games like Splatoon & Mario Maker were launch titles with a strong advertising campaign, a more mass market launch price and a solid first year release schedule of traditional Nintendo franchises and new ip than we could very well be looking at a different picture when it comes to Wii U.

So you think a shooter and another Mario was going to do the trick? OK

So Ninty is burdened to try to desperately find the next big thing or be doomed to sales like this? OK but that seems pretty hopeless and erractic didnt really work for WIi U.

Really, that's what u got out of what I said? Splatoon & Mario Maker are all Nintendo needed for Wii U? Sometimes I feel like you act ignorant on purpose so u can argue for the sake of argument.

-heavier investment in new ip/new ideas

-strong, focused advertising/marketing

-increased & consistent software output

-more mass market launch price

So no, simply releasing Splatoon/Mario Maker and calling it a day is not what I'm suggesting, I'm stating we need more games that feel new & fresh that are simple yet fun and appeal to multiple demographics.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm not talking about Nintendo getting back "hardcore" gamers that are on Playstation/Xbox, more like I think they should find a way to attract kids/families again, the type of people who don't care or know that a game is 1st, 2nd or 3rd party. Offer up a bunch of new, exciting ip that can appeal to many different demographics. Nintendo has seen a lot of success with games that appeal to a more casual audience, Super Mario, Tetris, Mario Kart, Pokemon Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit. Is it a coincidence that every Nintendo game to sell over 10 million is a casual friendly title? I think not.

true but they havent stopped making those games and it really has done jack all for the sales of the console and IMHO thats not an audience one should be putting there all into as we learned with WIi they are fickle

That's the thing tho, the casual adience isn't simply content with sequels, they want new experiences and Nintendo stopped providing that in the last few years of the previous generation and has barely provided that during this generation. People don't want to spend $300 on a console for Wii Fit 3 or Wii Sports Remastered.

When was the last time they made a casual focused new ip with a strong advertising push? Tomodachi Life is really the only big one they have done this generation and it's on track to sell over 5 million. Splatoon has potential and it's seems like it might end up doing well but it's probably a case of too little, too late. If games like Splatoon & Mario Maker were launch titles with a strong advertising campaign, a more mass market launch price and a solid first year release schedule of traditional Nintendo franchises and new ip than we could very well be looking at a different picture when it comes to Wii U.

So you think a shooter and another Mario was going to do the trick? OK

So Ninty is burdened to try to desperately find the next big thing or be doomed to sales like this? OK but that seems pretty hopeless and erractic didnt really work for WIi U.

Really, that's what u got out of what I said? Splatoon & Mario Maker are all Nintendo needed for Wii U? Sometimes I feel like you act ignorant on purpose so u can argue for the sake of argument.

-heavier investment in new ip/new ideas

-strong, focused advertising/marketing

-increased & consistent software output

-more mass market launch price

So no, simply releasing Splatoon/Mario Maker and calling it a day is not what I'm suggesting, I'm stating we need more games that feel new & fresh that are simple yet fun and appeal to multiple demographics.

They need to find a better way to appeal to teenagers and adults. As much as I think Splatoon looks interesting, that character design is simply too kid-centric. Then you have something like Yoshi's Wooly World, which lets be honest ... unless you are a big Nintendo fan, very, very few adults would look at that and want to invest 10+ hours into a $50 game like that. 

I know people will say "well you watch Pixar movies right?!" ... yeah sure. But that's an $8 investment and 90 minutes of my time that I watch passively. And I like most adults watch maybe 1 animated film a year at best out of maybe the 10-20+ times I go to a movie theater. 

That doesn't mean they have to go all dark and violent like third parties do, the actual sweet spot for a design that both kids and teenagers and adults will all buy into is what Marvel Comics does -- still bright, colorful, and full of fantasy so that kids like it, but adults can perfectly enjoy it too. 

I think that's one of their biggest problems. A game like Splatoon doesn't really appeal to everyone because a lot of people won't play it because of the look of the game ... and that's a problem. 

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
DonFerrari said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Thats the thing though, the wiiU had the worst versions in one way or another. Whether it be by performance issues or missing DLC, for majority of the third party games, it was the worst version

And cod on the wii was the worst version... So it makes sense as to why it sold the least

There is no denying that Nintendo fan's buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo exclusives but I highly doubt that the third party's gimped versions weren't the causes for the bad sales as well...

PS versions were a lot worst than Xbox on begin of last gen... Bayoneta was basically unplayable on launch.. they still sold on par... not 1/20 on basically the same game but worst graphic, that we are supposed to believe it doesn't matter.

Hmm, that is true... Maybe 160rmf is right, Sony fans do/can settle for less

Maybe. Funny enough MS fans do the same this gen, gimped version, lacking feature or DLC. Maybe only Nintendo fans are smart.

Or the alternative, most people don't even know which version is best, or if it's late or lacking content. They see trailer, add, preview and buy the game. Nintendo fans don't do it because they either like 3rd parties and so have other console to buy they there Or don't care at all and wouldn't buy anyway. You can't say you really like 3rd parties and just buy Nintendo hw, so they are valid scenarios validated by Iwata.

Are Nintendo fans the only smart ones fighting all the evil 3rd party companies.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

oniyide said:
DonFerrari said:

People have more than 1 console and buy the better version. Nintendo fans preffer exclusives, etc... because all your points are negated by games on PS3 that suffered the same problems but sold good.

How do you justify CoD on Wii selling so much less than other platforms if not by prejudice of the fanbase against 3rd parties, dev or things like that? Best CoD on Wii sold 2.4M (almost like PSP version, that is certainly a lot more gimped) and on WiiU it sold between 250-300k against their counterparts best sold on X360 14.5M and PS4 6.5M how much was it lacking to sell 1/7 and 1/20 of the other platform?

to be fair, COD on Wii..sucked at least compared to the other versions, sure you can get away with that initially but eventually people will wise up and start to play the versions their friends are playing and the one that doesnt suck. I got nothing for PSP that was a different game. I think eventually people equated COD on Wii  with gimp, not that that was on 3rd parties only so much you can do with that tech.

Point taken. But did it suck enough for a 80% less sale on twice as big userbase? Did everyone knew it sucked before hand since most copies sell early on?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Captain_Yuri said:
DonFerrari said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Thats the thing though, the wiiU had the worst versions in one way or another. Whether it be by performance issues or missing DLC, for majority of the third party games, it was the worst version

And cod on the wii was the worst version... So it makes sense as to why it sold the least

There is no denying that Nintendo fan's buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo exclusives but I highly doubt that the third party's gimped versions weren't the causes for the bad sales as well...

PS versions were a lot worst than Xbox on begin of last gen... Bayoneta was basically unplayable on launch.. they still sold on par... not 1/20 on basically the same game but worst graphic, that we are supposed to believe it doesn't matter.

Hmm, that is true... Maybe 160rmf is right, Sony fans do/can settle for less

Maybe. Funny enough MS fans do the same this gen, gimped version, lacking feature or DLC. Maybe only Nintendo fans are smart.

Or the alternative, most people don't even know which version is best, or if it's late or lacking content. They see trailer, add, preview and buy the game. Nintendo fans don't do it because they either like 3rd parties and so have other console to buy they there Or don't care at all and wouldn't buy anyway. You can't say you really like 3rd parties and just buy Nintendo hw, so they are valid scenarios validated by Iwata.

Are Nintendo fans the only smart ones fighting all the evil 3rd party companies.

Nintendo fans aren't some sinuglar monolithic group. Many of us do play third party games ... we just opt to play them on the Playstation or XBox that have in addition to our Nintendo console. The actual number of Nintendo fans who alter their buying patterns based on some kind of internet vendetta is probably less than 1% I would say. Don't confuse a group of people making a lot of noise on an internet message board for an actual majority. 

Soundwave said:

They need to find a better way to appeal to teenagers and adults. As much as I think Splatoon looks interesting, that character design is simply too kid-centric. Then you have something like Yoshi's Wooly World, which lets be honest ... unless you are a big Nintendo fan, very, very few adults would look at that and want to invest 10+ hours into a $50 game like that. 

That doesn't mean they have to go all dark and violent like third parties do, the actual sweet spot for a design that both kids and teenagers and adults will all buy into is what Marvel Comics does -- still bright, colorful, and full of fantasy so that kids like it, but adults can perfectly enjoy it too. 

I think that's one of their biggest problems. A game like Splatoon doesn't really appeal to everyone because a lot of people won't play it because of the look of the game ... and that's a problem. 

There is more than just 13-35 year old males that enjoy games. Kids, females, parents, these are types of gamers Nintendo should heavily invest in.

Of course that doesn't mean Nintendo should completely ignore teenage/adult males but they shouldn't be the main focus, there should be a healthy mix of support for all types of demographics. Nintendo should continue and increase what they have done with games like Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame V, Devil's Third while expanding on that and get some more western focused titles thrown in the mix.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

There is more than just 13-35 year old males that enjoy games. Kids, females, parents, these are types of gamers Nintendo should heavily invest in.

Of course that doesn't mean Nintendo should completely ignore teenage/adult males but they shouldn't be the main focus, there should be a healthy mix of support for all types of demographics. Nintendo should continue and increase what they have done with games like Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame V, Devil's Third while expanding on that and get some more western focused titles thrown in the mix.

The problem with this is none of the games you've listed enter into the type of mass market sweet spot I'm talking about. 

You don't want to have a game that will just automatically be ignored by 13-35 year old males either, because the audience base for just a kids game can be limited. Beyond that kids themselves often don't want a game that looks like its tailor made for them. The avergae 11 year old would probably rather play Call of Duty rather than Yoshi's Wooly World or even Splatoon. They don't want the game that looks like it's "mom approved". 

Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame V, etc. are too violent, they don't compliment or work with things like Nintendo's core brands (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda) at all. 

The sweet spot today and I've said this before is the Marvel formula. They can appeal to kids, adults, and teenagers all at the same time without getting into a territory that's so violent/dark that it alienates the younger side of the audience, but doesn't get so kid-centric that it turns off adults. Star Wars is another brand license that does this very well. 

No wonder Disney paid out the ass to get both of them.