By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans Vs. Third-Party Developers & Entitlement

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm not talking about Nintendo getting back "hardcore" gamers that are on Playstation/Xbox, more like I think they should find a way to attract kids/families again, the type of people who don't care or know that a game is 1st, 2nd or 3rd party. Offer up a bunch of new, exciting ip that can appeal to many different demographics. Nintendo has seen a lot of success with games that appeal to a more casual audience, Super Mario, Tetris, Mario Kart, Pokemon Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Wii Sports, Wii Fit. Is it a coincidence that every Nintendo game to sell over 10 million is a casual friendly title? I think not.

true but they havent stopped making those games and it really has done jack all for the sales of the console and IMHO thats not an audience one should be putting there all into as we learned with WIi they are fickle

That's the thing tho, the casual adience isn't simply content with sequels, they want new experiences and Nintendo stopped providing that in the last few years of the previous generation and has barely provided that during this generation. People don't want to spend $300 on a console for Wii Fit 3 or Wii Sports Remastered.

When was the last time they made a casual focused new ip with a strong advertising push? Tomodachi Life is really the only big one they have done this generation and it's on track to sell over 5 million. Splatoon has potential and it's seems like it might end up doing well but it's probably a case of too little, too late. If games like Splatoon & Mario Maker were launch titles with a strong advertising campaign, a more mass market launch price and a solid first year release schedule of traditional Nintendo franchises and new ip than we could very well be looking at a different picture when it comes to Wii U.

So you think a shooter and another Mario was going to do the trick? OK

So Ninty is burdened to try to desperately find the next big thing or be doomed to sales like this? OK but that seems pretty hopeless and erractic didnt really work for WIi U.

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
Captain_Yuri said:

There is no denying that Nintendo fan's buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo exclusives but I highly doubt that the third party's gimped versions weren't the causes for the bad sales as well...

Stop trying to split the blame. Only Nintendo is bad. If you try to blame anyone else even remotely then you must be blind. Now go buy Mass Effect 3 with no idea what happens in the first two games.

In all seriousness though, I think Curl summed up my thoughts best. I'm not a charity, if you want me to purchase your product, make sure it's appealing to me. I'm not going to throw $60 at a company for a poorly optimized or supported game I'm not interested in solely in the hopes that the developer will someday maybe make a game I do want. It is sad that a lot of good games sold poorly despite a solid effort being put into them...but for a huge chunk of these games, the Wii U was clearly an afterthought. It's a really bad situation...for sure, but to blame one side and not the other makes absolutely zero sense...which really why the majority of the responses in this thread baffle me.

Yea I agree! It is certainly a little bit of both

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
DonFerrari said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Thats the thing though, the wiiU had the worst versions in one way or another. Whether it be by performance issues or missing DLC, for majority of the third party games, it was the worst version

And cod on the wii was the worst version... So it makes sense as to why it sold the least

There is no denying that Nintendo fan's buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo exclusives but I highly doubt that the third party's gimped versions weren't the causes for the bad sales as well...

PS versions were a lot worst than Xbox on begin of last gen... Bayoneta was basically unplayable on launch.. they still sold on par... not 1/20 on basically the same game but worst graphic, that we are supposed to believe it doesn't matter.

Hmm, that is true... Maybe 160rmf is right, Sony fans do/can settle for less

or maybe they just like to play games that they believe are good? Have a wider variety of tastes. Or maybe its time to admit that the Ninty systems do not have an audience for certain types of games. I'm surprised it took this long for this silly comment to be made.

I dont see the deal of a game being a late port, if its good people will buy it, not everyone who wanted a game was able to do so intially or even have the system. thats why the excuses are just that, excuses if they wanted the games on the systems they would sell. Lets not pretend like the games on WIi U are SO unplayable, give me a break.

oniyide said:
Captain_Yuri said:

or maybe they just like to play games that they believe are good? Have a wider variety of tastes. Or maybe its time to admit that the Ninty systems do not have an audience for certain types of games. I'm surprised it took this long for this silly comment to be made.

I dont see the deal of a game being a late port, if its good people will buy it, not everyone who wanted a game was able to do so intially or even have the system. thats why the excuses are just that, excuses if they wanted the games on the systems they would sell. Lets not pretend like the games on WIi U are SO unplayable, give me a break.

Well, I gotta go to sleep so u can have the last word but I will end off with this. While I agree that Nintendo systems don't have an audience for certain types of games, imo, it is more due to the fact that the ports are gimped in someway that Nintendo fans won't pay for it and/or they have another platform which is very likely where they can just buy the better versions of the games. I would never, ever pay full price for a game that is gimped in someway because thats just nonsense to me... There are far better games where my money can go to and I do think that many Nintendo fans are like that which is why they buy Nintendo games more than third party games which have issues.

And yes, its not unplayable but really, why on earth should we settle for less when we can either get a different game that isn't gimped or we can buy the full version on a different platform? There is really no reason to buy the wiiU version at all if its the worst version and if you love buying the gimped version just so you can play it, good for u but I will always be against buying the gimped version of anything... And I do believe that it is why most third party games that have issues sell so horribly on Nintendo platform. And the ones that aren't gimped but still sell horribly, provided they actually don't have any issues like missing dlc and the games themselves are great, are the ones that I will blame the fans on but those are very few and far between.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

DonFerrari said:
160rmf said:

so we can conclude that ps3 users weren't bother by the crappy suport from 3rd party

They bought the game they wanted to play, complained about problems but didn't made the dev lose money... although I haven't support much os 3rd parties myself.

PS3 later became lead platform when the sales justified the effort, unlike on Wii U

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

PS3 as well never was that far behind.

Third parties on Wii U:
That was a pretty mixed story. EA made some weird decisions.
But som other did a not so bad job at first. Ubi brought AC III almost in time with the other versions. Underperformed.
Zombi U wasn't a success. It has been budget over here for almost two years as well.
AC IV was quite disappointing. It wasn't late but performed worse than AC III while other versions ran at least as good if not better.

Now, what about 'old' games released on PS4One? Like a one year old Tomb Raider? That actually does sell.

Not to talk about new IP's or sequels.

There's basically everyone to blame at some degree, At least some publishers because of really strange decisions or not trying at all.
The Nintendo crowd for basically buying nothing but Nintendo, Because you actually can blame yourself if you dont buy someones games that he doesnt try any more.
That is an issue with indy games as well by the way. Wii U owners buy all that old VC stuff instead of indies.

The most blame should go to Nintendo though. There's a ton of reasons. But basically Nintendo made every possible mistake.

Dear Shokio, get over yourself.... That is all.

Captain_Yuri said:
oniyide said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well, I gotta go to sleep so u can have the last word but I will end off with this. While I agree that Nintendo systems don't have an audience for certain types of games, imo, it is more due to the fact that the ports are gimped in someway that Nintendo fans won't pay for it and/or they have another platform which is very likely where they can just buy the better versions of the games. I would never, ever pay full price for a game that is gimped in someway because thats just nonsense to me... There are far better games where my money can go to and I do think that many Nintendo fans are like that which is why they buy Nintendo games more than third party games which have issues.

And yes, its not unplayable but really, why on earth should we settle for less when we can either get a different game that isn't gimped or we can buy the full version on a different platform? There is really no reason to buy the wiiU version at all if its the worst version and if you love buying the gimped version just so you can play it, good for u but I will always be against buying the gimped version of anything... And I do believe that it is why most third party games that have issues sell so horribly on Nintendo platform. And the ones that aren't gimped but still sell horribly, provided they actually don't have any issues like missing dlc and the games themselves are great, are the ones that I will blame the fans on but those are very few and far between.

fair enough, and thats your right to do so. Why would you pay for a gimp game? it depends on the level of gimp. But then thats kind of a point of it all, if its still playable and you still wont get it cause its "gimp" that tells me you really werent interested in the first place. So it goes back to the audience being quite different. I listed a bunch of games that werent gimped. Hell alot of games on GC werent gimped and they were still usually the worse selling ones so it has to be a demograph thing moreso than anything else. Not really blame so much as saying those guys are really interested, which is fine too.

DonFerrari said:
Cream147 said:
Firstly let's ditch the term "entitlement". Me or anyone else saying that I would have loved the opportunity to spend £50 on Project Cars is not entitlement. If you think it is then you don't understand what entitlement is, or you're just using that inflammatory word to be a jerk.

I'm not going to pretend that I would buy a massive amount of third-party games if they were coming to Wii U - currently I own precisely 0 retail third party games, and that situation is now likely to stay the same for some time until I get around to buying Rayman Legends or Zombi U.

However, would I have bought GTA V if it released on Wii U? Yes, and I think I'm far from the only one who would buy such a critically acclaimed and popular game. Rock Band 4 and Project Cars? Yes and yes, and again, I don't think I'd be the only one. Rock Band has sold respectably on Nintendo consoles in the past, and I think there would still be enough of a market there to make it worthwhile. Guitar Hero Live will on the other hand obviously struggle due to its extortionate price and gimmicky look, and this will be held up as an example of why you can't release third party games on Nintendo consoles.

The other thing is that third parties simply don't help themselves on Nintendo consoles. Mass Effect 3 released with Wii U on launch day. Well thanks a lot EA, I'd get it, but I've never played Mass Effect 1 and 2! How about releasing the whole trilogy? Instead, EA chalk Mass Effect 3's failure as a reason why we can't release on Nintendo consoles. The Rayman Legends issue has been talked over to death and was yet another way to screw over Nintendo fans - and yes, Nintendo fans don't forget that kind of thing. Watch Dogs is yet another ridiculous one, with a long delay ending in a bad port - and the mediocre response to the game already clocked by the Nintendo fans. When I went to my local game store on the one hand I could see Watch Dogs for 360 in the bargain bin for a fiver, and on the Wii U it was selling for £56. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. Project Cars looks like the latest and perhaps worst of betrayals. We were told how great the game was running on Wii U and how the Gamepad allowed for some creative ideas on their part. Now after all the promises, this is what we get. Of course we're annoyed, and being annoyed here is no more entitled than the people who were annoyed when Silent Hills was cancelled.

And then there's the constant sneering and snipes made at Nintendo fans by these third party companies. EA have a history of this, constantly mocking the consoles and the users. An Activision rep recently laughed at the idea of the latest CoD coming to Wii U - pretty disrespectful to the 300k customers who bought their games for Wii U. No one likes being made fun of - it's pretty much insult to injury in these situations.

Bleh, vent over I guess. If the right third party experience came along I promise I'd buy it, but not CoD or AC and not games that have been on the shelf for months and you expect me to shell out full price for a sub-optimal version. And I think that's how many Wii U owners feel.

Yet all that happened on PS (with CEO of Acti saying Sony needed to get their shit together and start selling PS3 and not make rubbish complicated HW)... we got several late late ports (like 2 years after), we got ME 2 without ME1, and all the other shit... guess what, the games still sold very good on PS, and most of the customers don't even follow all this BS on the web.

Right, so because PS3 owners ate the garbage with a shovel means Wii U owners should spend their hard-earned money on substandard games. Sorry, but I simply can't afford to do that. Again, I don't think it's the publisher's job to release their entire library on Wii U when it certainly wouldn't sell, but treat Wii U owners (who are potential customers) with some respect.

Cream147 said:

Right, so because PS3 owners ate the garbage with a shovel means Wii U owners should spend their hard-earned money on substandard games. Sorry, but I simply can't afford to do that. Again, I don't think it's the publisher's job to release their entire library on Wii U when it certainly wouldn't sell, but treat Wii U owners (who are potential customers) with some respect.

I agree with this, the fact that some people are using that stance as a defence highlights the state of the industry today, so are they saying third parties want a userbase the can screw over and still get sales? It's like saying persecution happens in one country so you can have rights in your own, sorry like someone mentioned earlier we're not a charity, third parties want an ecosystem where they can do what they want and get away with it even if they cock up and that's what it actually comes down to.

Name me another gen where most of the notable games being released have been remasters from the previous gens? Why this is happening? Developers can't risk the costs of creating a ground up game this early on despite the fact they're the ones always calling for high powered tech.