By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Fans Vs. Third-Party Developers & Entitlement

Firstly let's ditch the term "entitlement". Me or anyone else saying that I would have loved the opportunity to spend £50 on Project Cars is not entitlement. If you think it is then you don't understand what entitlement is, or you're just using that inflammatory word to be a jerk.

I'm not going to pretend that I would buy a massive amount of third-party games if they were coming to Wii U - currently I own precisely 0 retail third party games, and that situation is now likely to stay the same for some time until I get around to buying Rayman Legends or Zombi U.

However, would I have bought GTA V if it released on Wii U? Yes, and I think I'm far from the only one who would buy such a critically acclaimed and popular game. Rock Band 4 and Project Cars? Yes and yes, and again, I don't think I'd be the only one. Rock Band has sold respectably on Nintendo consoles in the past, and I think there would still be enough of a market there to make it worthwhile. Guitar Hero Live will on the other hand obviously struggle due to its extortionate price and gimmicky look, and this will be held up as an example of why you can't release third party games on Nintendo consoles.

The other thing is that third parties simply don't help themselves on Nintendo consoles. Mass Effect 3 released with Wii U on launch day. Well thanks a lot EA, I'd get it, but I've never played Mass Effect 1 and 2! How about releasing the whole trilogy? Instead, EA chalk Mass Effect 3's failure as a reason why we can't release on Nintendo consoles. The Rayman Legends issue has been talked over to death and was yet another way to screw over Nintendo fans - and yes, Nintendo fans don't forget that kind of thing. Watch Dogs is yet another ridiculous one, with a long delay ending in a bad port - and the mediocre response to the game already clocked by the Nintendo fans. When I went to my local game store on the one hand I could see Watch Dogs for 360 in the bargain bin for a fiver, and on the Wii U it was selling for £56. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. Project Cars looks like the latest and perhaps worst of betrayals. We were told how great the game was running on Wii U and how the Gamepad allowed for some creative ideas on their part. Now after all the promises, this is what we get. Of course we're annoyed, and being annoyed here is no more entitled than the people who were annoyed when Silent Hills was cancelled.

And then there's the constant sneering and snipes made at Nintendo fans by these third party companies. EA have a history of this, constantly mocking the consoles and the users. An Activision rep recently laughed at the idea of the latest CoD coming to Wii U - pretty disrespectful to the 300k customers who bought their games for Wii U. No one likes being made fun of - it's pretty much insult to injury in these situations.

Bleh, vent over I guess. If the right third party experience came along I promise I'd buy it, but not CoD or AC and not games that have been on the shelf for months and you expect me to shell out full price for a sub-optimal version. And I think that's how many Wii U owners feel.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Of course though that approach really won't work again (not in the same way) because of smart devices offering like a thousand of that same type of software for free. 

The question is whether or not Nintendo has another trick like that up their sleeve that can work in a different way. I'm not sure. Those types of ideas are pretty hard to just pull out on demand. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Wii/DS level sales are going to happen again but there is a huge middle ground between Wii/DS & Wii U/3DS sales and with the right strategy they can improve their current situation.

one has to wonder why they cant achieve that while the other 2(maybe not so much xone) do it seemingly effortlessly

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Wii/DS level sales are going to happen again but there is a huge middle ground between Wii/DS & Wii U/3DS sales and with the right strategy they can improve their current situation.

one has to wonder why they cant achieve that while the other 2(maybe not so much xone) do it seemingly effortlessly

Because they made some big mistakes and arent willing to lose billions to fix them like Microsoft/Sony are willing to do when they screw up. When u consider the entire Nintendo ecosystem, it's looking to be something like 85 million, give or take, this generation and that's while making foolish decisions, with a solid strategy that is executed well its completely feasible that they improve their standing next generation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Of course though that approach really won't work again (not in the same way) because of smart devices offering like a thousand of that same type of software for free. 

The question is whether or not Nintendo has another trick like that up their sleeve that can work in a different way. I'm not sure. Those types of ideas are pretty hard to just pull out on demand. 

Perhaps, but maybe not, it's quite possible that consumers simply gravitate towards one central platform that offers all the major third party titles with some decent 1st party exclusives, but those aren't the keys. 

To be honest I really suspect the N64 probably only topped 30 million because a lot of people bought into it early on thinking it would be another NES/SNES ... the average joe had no idea what the economics of carts vs CDs was all about and up until that time "Nintendo" was synonmous with having the widest library/best third party support. 

oniyide said:
160rmf said:

Why upset? Maybe because we are on a videogame sales site? It upsets me that a console with so many great games are failling behind the others bc the lack of COD and Yearly sport games

ok and? If that is really killing your enjoyment of the system then i feel bad for you. :( When PS3 was getting smacked around i liked it just as much as when it made a comeback which is alot. 

And your definition of "great games" means nothing and is not a standard barometer. The sooner people here accept that the happier they will be. Its and a childish and frankly ignorant attitude. The system is falling behind for many reasons games is just one of them.

I any moment i said that this is the unique reason why its a fail.

And please no, don't feel bad. Don't let my childish behavior upset you and kill your enjoyment on this site. I almost shed a tear bc of that :(

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
oniyide said:
are some people pretending DLCs matter all that much? OK

Nintendo fans (some) want DLC on the 3rd party games to complain how extorsive, useless, etc it is.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'd actually prefer it if Nintendo cut off all 3rd party support except for select deals with 3rd party publishers and indies. That and they should create a team whose specific job is to port select 3rd party games to Wii U. Pare it down to the essentials and the games that the fans want in their library. It would mean that Nintendo is in charge of porting a game over. Would mean less crappy ports and would encourage fans to buy the Nintendo version.

Cream147 said:
Firstly let's ditch the term "entitlement". Me or anyone else saying that I would have loved the opportunity to spend £50 on Project Cars is not entitlement. If you think it is then you don't understand what entitlement is, or you're just using that inflammatory word to be a jerk.

I'm not going to pretend that I would buy a massive amount of third-party games if they were coming to Wii U - currently I own precisely 0 retail third party games, and that situation is now likely to stay the same for some time until I get around to buying Rayman Legends or Zombi U.

However, would I have bought GTA V if it released on Wii U? Yes, and I think I'm far from the only one who would buy such a critically acclaimed and popular game. Rock Band 4 and Project Cars? Yes and yes, and again, I don't think I'd be the only one. Rock Band has sold respectably on Nintendo consoles in the past, and I think there would still be enough of a market there to make it worthwhile. Guitar Hero Live will on the other hand obviously struggle due to its extortionate price and gimmicky look, and this will be held up as an example of why you can't release third party games on Nintendo consoles.

The other thing is that third parties simply don't help themselves on Nintendo consoles. Mass Effect 3 released with Wii U on launch day. Well thanks a lot EA, I'd get it, but I've never played Mass Effect 1 and 2! How about releasing the whole trilogy? Instead, EA chalk Mass Effect 3's failure as a reason why we can't release on Nintendo consoles. The Rayman Legends issue has been talked over to death and was yet another way to screw over Nintendo fans - and yes, Nintendo fans don't forget that kind of thing. Watch Dogs is yet another ridiculous one, with a long delay ending in a bad port - and the mediocre response to the game already clocked by the Nintendo fans. When I went to my local game store on the one hand I could see Watch Dogs for 360 in the bargain bin for a fiver, and on the Wii U it was selling for £56. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. Project Cars looks like the latest and perhaps worst of betrayals. We were told how great the game was running on Wii U and how the Gamepad allowed for some creative ideas on their part. Now after all the promises, this is what we get. Of course we're annoyed, and being annoyed here is no more entitled than the people who were annoyed when Silent Hills was cancelled.

And then there's the constant sneering and snipes made at Nintendo fans by these third party companies. EA have a history of this, constantly mocking the consoles and the users. An Activision rep recently laughed at the idea of the latest CoD coming to Wii U - pretty disrespectful to the 300k customers who bought their games for Wii U. No one likes being made fun of - it's pretty much insult to injury in these situations.

Bleh, vent over I guess. If the right third party experience came along I promise I'd buy it, but not CoD or AC and not games that have been on the shelf for months and you expect me to shell out full price for a sub-optimal version. And I think that's how many Wii U owners feel.

Yet all that happened on PS (with CEO of Acti saying Sony needed to get their shit together and start selling PS3 and not make rubbish complicated HW)... we got several late late ports (like 2 years after), we got ME 2 without ME1, and all the other shit... guess what, the games still sold very good on PS, and most of the customers don't even follow all this BS on the web.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

bunchanumbers said:
I'd actually prefer it if Nintendo cut off all 3rd party support except for select deals with 3rd party publishers and indies. That and they should create a team whose specific job is to port select 3rd party games to Wii U. Pare it down to the essentials and the games that the fans want in their library. It would mean that Nintendo is in charge of porting a game over. Would mean less crappy ports and would encourage fans to buy the Nintendo version.

Yep, total control of their ecosystem... Nintendo doesn't even get to offer help or money to get a game on their system but suddenly they would divert 1st party dev time to port games to their system that we all now would flop. Sure.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

Because they made some big mistakes and arent willing to lose billions to fix them like Microsoft/Sony are willing to do when they screw up. When u consider the entire Nintendo ecosystem, it's looking to be something like 85 million, give or take, this generation and that's while making foolish decisions, with a solid strategy that is executed well its completely feasible that they improve their standing next generation.

im sorry but i was really referrng to strictly the home console and not the handheld. They never really made huge mistakes with the handheld nothing that couldnt be rectified with well games and price drop that it got (kinda like PS3 a bit) but that environment is much different than home console is.

So i still have to wonder why they cant acheive that? I mean what is the actual ecosystem of the home console part? Cause either they do real good like last time or they drop like a rock like this time. What would it take for them to have a console sell about 60 mil which is a decent middle ground IMHO. because neither N64, cube and Wii U have come even close to that. I thought Wii U would but alas