By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 Is Not Fun To Play (But The Quests Are Godly)

I agree that the controls are a bit stiff and the combat is not quite on Bloodborne level, although for an RPG it's not bad. Better than Skyrim and DAI. It is deep on mechanics though.

On the other hand the world is huge and gorgeous, the dialogs superbly written, the side quest are no filler, as they often are just as interesting as main quests and there is even a card game which is pretty fun imo.

It's one of the best RPGs in my books and could become the best of all time and even my GOTY.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Dusk said:

Not really. Many of the early RPG's didn't have much dialogue and the stories were very basic and fairly typical. 

Whether it was the likes of the first Ultima games or first FF game, neither were dialogue heavy or had super inticate stories. Some even now aren't super dialogue heavy. 

Ehh... many of the early RPG's were *completely* dialogue driven...

View on YouTube

Doesn't mean they were dialogue heavy. Big difference between dialogue driven and dialogue heavy. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Nem said:
Yes, and the Witcher has story and an open world to explore.

I havent played enough yet to form a good opinion, but Bloodborn isnt a game that interests me at all. Much like monster hunter its a very aquired taste acceptable of clunky controls and tolerance to waste of time from dieing. On top of that those souls games have no story worth talking about.

I can say this, Witcher 3 looks amazing and none of the criticisms you presented are legitimate. Your post read: I dont like this game because its not another of this other game i like.
Try Lords of the Fallen.

Now waiting for Gribs reply. lol!

Dusk said:
walsufnir said:

Ehh... many of the early RPG's were *completely* dialogue driven...

View on YouTube

Doesn't mean they were dialogue heavy. Big difference between dialogue driven and dialogue heavy. 

Surely but where is your demarcation line for "heavy"? Surely Xenogears was heavy. But what about Final Fantasy? The first 3 not so much but beginning with 4? Daggerfall? Is Daggerfall heavier than Skyrim?

As far as i played on Death March,which is extremely challenging including the griffon,i love it.
Bloodborne is of course currently the best game of this Gen but i knew what Witcher 3 would be about > Not Bloodborne

Story,Atmosphere,SIDEQUESTS and stuff are extremely high quality
Especially the Sidequests are on its own level and meaningful so far unlike for example like Skyrim does it where its a complete waste of time cause everything is useless and copy+paste anyway.
They really nailed the "Gothic 2" style of sidequests and world exploration like they wanted to.

BUT i can understand the TC
I played Witcher 1 and 2 and games that control similar wonky like Gothic 2 and it still shocked me
Why?One day before release of Witcher 3 i played Bloodborne which is extremely responsive and fluid and then you get over to something like Witcher 3 > This is like you have to relearn everything.It takes a little bit to adjust and on Death March it can be deadly...

I can see myself playing this for 100+ hours easily but it will probably take another 10 hours before i get the Bloodborne mind out of my head.

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
The game just isn't for you, and several others it seems. I'm really enjoying it, perhaps it should have stayed PC exclusive >_>

Apparently that would be completely impossible according to CDPR, it seems by their logic it will be impossible forevermore.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It's not my kinda game either. I liked Witcher 1 but it was slowww and clunky. Witcher 2 was a big WTF because it started like a Michael Bay movie, the inventory was mess and combat was chaotic. W3 I'm simply not interested anymore, I don't care how big the game world is, size is not proportional to fun.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Chazore said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
The game just isn't for you, and several others it seems. I'm really enjoying it, perhaps it should have stayed PC exclusive >_>

Apparently that would be completely impossible according to CDPR, it seems by their logic it will be impossible forevermore.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-19-cd-projekt-red-tackles-the-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

I'm fully aware of that, my emoji (>_>) reroresents sarcasm and passive aggression. Truth be told it was an emotional response and I always get that way in these "gameplay police" type threads. Fun can't be measured and its all subjective but I get upset when games I enjoy are called unenjoyable, especially if I think the arguments are exaggerated or ridiculous.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Chazore said:
I'm getting this weird vibe that some people believe every game with sword type combat has to somehow be akin to or exactly like a Souls game, I really hope that's not the case because that's kinda shitty tbh, it's not everyone's cuppa and neither will this game be.

Yeah, I find it very...let's say amusing. Souls are great games, but to be honest, there are dungeon-crawlers with better combat, like Severance: Blade of Darkness, which feels like something that actually influenced Souls. As for BB, I've tried it at friends, and tbh, I like it a lot less than Souls.

What lot of people here fail to realize is that Witcher 3 comes from very different background, it is more akin to Gothic. Unlike OP I find combat quite good, I'd prefer it to be even heavier, but I'm guessing they lightened it up a bit for mainstream gamers. As for other stuff, it's more or less different genre than Souls, so comparing the two is just silly.

IMO, for all the fans of WRPGs, specially Euro RPGs, this is a must have game. As for others, speacially those who seem to have very limited exposure to WRPGs - will you please stop comparing it to BB and Souls, only thing that they have in common to Witcher is they all fall under action-RPG genre.

Nem said:
Yes, and the Witcher has story and an open world to explore.

I havent played enough yet to form a good opinion, but Bloodborn isnt a game that interests me at all. Much like monster hunter its a very aquired taste acceptable of clunky controls and tolerance to waste of time from dieing. On top of that those souls games have no story worth talking about.

I can say this, Witcher 3 looks amazing and none of the criticisms you presented are legitimate. Your post read: I dont like this game because its not another of this other game i like.
Try Lords of the Fallen.

Bloodborne has a pretty epic and well thought-through story. The only problem is that the game barely tells you anything about it. (Which is part of the story, which is mind-blowingly enough itself). So you have to figure out everything by yourself. Or you do it like I did and use Google, lulz.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.