By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 Is Not Fun To Play (But The Quests Are Godly)

Is it just the combat or the overall gameplay?

Around the Network

Why are people comparing two completely different games? The Witcher is awesome btw. Very enthralling world and story.

I agree with OP. Control is the biggest issue so far. Riding horse is a pain. Compared to red dead redemption its still behind in horse play. And after playing bloodborne it's difficult to get used to. Combat is boring sometimes.

I agree with OP, after playing bloodborne, the Witcher 3 just feels subpar. Bloodborne has better gameplay, I feel it got better graphics and an awesome soundtrack when fighting bosses. Everything in Bloodborne feels like its a very special game. The Witcher 3 is just different, its a huge open world game, it just doesn't compare. After playing the Witcher 3 for a while I'm starting to like this game a lot, there is always something to do and the scale of the game is massive.
All in all in my opinion Bloodborne still is a better game but the Witcher 3 is pretty damn good as well. Bloodborne should have a better overall score for reviews as I think its just does everything its supposed to do just so much better.

I'm with what Iwata said awhile ago, games are focusing too much on creating some deep storyline. The problem with video games is you can watch a better storyline with a straight to DVD movie 99.9% of the time. Video games in the past gave good storylines without the player having to sit through hours and hours of dialogue that's not very good. There was more than enough storyline, but never too much. Until last gen, I've never skipped storyline unless a repeat playthrough and usually not even then.

Around the Network

Had similar issues with the Witcher 2. Stuck with it and now I think that game's awesome. I could say the same for several other games come to think of it.

This is a common problem. Different devs, different games, different feel. I remember playing DevilMayCry3 right after finishing Kingdom Hearts 2. It was really awkward. I ended up switching the DMC3 controls to a KH2 style set-up to help the transition (X for sword, O to jump, etc.).

4 ≈ One

Turkish said:

The combat in this series is godawful. Gameplay is usually not the forte of Western developers. I've been saying it for some time, western devs need to hire Japanese to do the gameplay.

That sounds like a generalization to me. Not all action Western games have bad combat schemes, being God of War the first franchise that comes to mind. Its gameplay is just about right. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

RolStoppable said:
The game is all about going through chores to get sex as a reward. If you can't comprehend this, then the game just isn't for you.

Pretty much the most realistic game in the world.

Yeah I wouldn't think it'd be as fun as its runnerup Xenoblade Chronicles X. I feel XCX has that much more freedom let alone it is rather more sci-fi.

I also think Zelda U will perfect horseback riding we've all been waiting for xD

Soriku said:
kupomogli said:
I'm with what Iwata said awhile ago, games are focusing too much on creating some deep storyline. The problem with video games is you can watch a better storyline with a straight to DVD movie 99.9% of the time. Video games in the past gave good storylines without the player having to sit through hours and hours of dialogue that's not very good. There was more than enough storyline, but never too much. Until last gen, I've never skipped storyline unless a repeat playthrough and usually not even then.

I've played Witcher 3 for several hours now and your point isn't very relevant as I've spent nearly all my time exploring, getting better items, and questing.

If the story gets really good as I play more, that's only a plus.

Anyway I really like Bloodborne, but it's a bad idea to compare it to Witcher 3. Bloodborne is a lot more focused game. It has a big world, but it's not a huge open world like Witcher 3. It's true it has a better combat system than Witcher, but now I'm liking Witcher's now that I've gotten the hang of it.

Yesterday I would've said Witcher 3 is just OK, but now that I've gotten used to the controls, understand the menus and combat more, found and did some more quests, and am steadily finding all the question marks on the map (making progress is a good feeling), I'm enjoying playing it now.

My post wasn't so much about Witcher 3 than it was with new games in general.