By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz is a shadow of its former self (bear with me here)

It has been a long time since i came here for the numbers

Around the Network

6 year ago hummmmm....

So you get the last year gold ages of VGC... 2009.

ethomaz said:
6 year ago hummmmm....

So you get the last year gold ages of VGC... 2009.

Actually, it was probably like 6.5-7 years ago. I remember finding this around the time LBP came out (2008) or just before that.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

LudicrousSpeed said:
I come for the community, not the sales. Community is still good. Not overly biased like GAF, not full of generic users like IGN or GameFAQS.

well f*ck you too, thats racist!

I got bored a few months ago. I thought a break from the site would help but I just don't find the threads or any of the discussions that interesting anymore. And without sales numbers, I don't see the point of coming to this forum anymore.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Realized that it has been quite a while since the last time I actually made a comment. I've become bored of this site and the lack of numbers is just one reason why I lack interest. I feel that the quality of discussion has deteriorated over the past few months, which makes this forum no longer enjoyable. In the meantime, I'll be hanging around on GAF and Vizioneck.

Why are people surprised that controversial topics get more traffic than none controversial topics or your average game related thread? I would think this is obvious and expected.

I would say that GAF has more gaming centric discussions. I think we can all do a bit to help this though, i have pretty in depth knowledge on Resogun and Path of Exile but i haven't done threads on those games to build the hype or start a discussion. Just dont have the time and interests in those games are pretty niche.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Aquamarine said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

In terms of sales debates, you're absolutely right. But, to be perfectly honest, the sales debates were never especially interesting to me. I rarely saw deep, insightful analyses of sales trends, market shifts, and pre-order patterns. Much more frequently I saw "game X is winning, lol" or "system Y is doomed, lmao." Sales figures on VGChartz are more often used as artillery in a never-ending console war, rather than an entree to a meaningful discussion about the video game market.

So, while I know some members here miss them desperately, I don't mind their absence. It's the community here that brings me back, not the numbers. 

"Game X is winning" can also be disingenuous when NPD / GfK SKU rankings differ from Chartz rankings.

It's a mixed bag, honestly. Some software numbers are close to the real thing from ioi's methodologies...others? Not so much.

After all, ioi's sampling methodologies aren't fool-proof / authoritative.

Like for March software numbers...I was impressed that one of the software figures (that wasn't leaked anywhere) was like 5K off from the real number. But then I looked at another figure which was 262K off from the real number.

Software numbers can be all over the place anyway, which can be especially infuriating when they aren't fixed for months even after we get leaks from the NPD *cough* Bayonetta 2 *cough* Driveclub *cough*

To be honest, I wonder what changes for people's perception to change all that much. I honestly don't find things all that different. There are small changes here and there but those are more on what is accepted and tolerated. Thinking closer, the Nation threads are the only real difference between now and 2 years ago.

I can understand why some go to larger forums like Gaf because there is a very different community. As for the smaller spin-offs, people like cliques.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Not much has changed as far as I'm concerned. Redundant users of the past have been replaced with new ones, great users of the past have gone from perma-banned to inactive and religion threads still bring more entertainment than sales threads ever could.