By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz is a shadow of its former self (bear with me here)

DJEVOLVE said:
zero129 said:
Imo ioi has abandoned this site. He gets a nice paycheck every week thanks to this site and yet the mods do pretty much all the work and get nothing for it (Or do ye??) . I think the old time VGC'rs and the Head mods/mods should get together and make a new VGC run by the people for the people. I know if alot of my old friends from here done such a thing id join right in.
So many good users have left this site for one reason or another. Even myself post alot less here then i used to in the past. Hard for me to leave this place completly since i been here so long but its just not the same.

I completely agree, You and I have been here for almost the same amount of time. I have been posting as of lately do to E3 but want to see a change.

I feel exactly the same. I know I have very little posts and have been registered for a very short time but I have been watching this site since early 2007. I love yalls forums but this sucks. I watched through the early 360 domination, the ps3 picking up pace and wii total domination. Now I can't even see all the ps4 domination. :(

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Ninsect said:
RolStoppable said:
But things were pretty good when you weren't posting.

Well I'm not really talking about the forum in general but it seemed quite boring here for the most part whenever I checked what was going on.

The boredom wouldn't change if we got regular sales updates. The sales themselves are boring, considering how clear cut the positions of all five systems this generation are.

You're right about that. The only interesting sales discussions last gen were PS3/360 because those were the consoles that were closely competing. DS was killing PSP, but not to the extent of 3DS killing PSV. Wii was initially so far ahead that week to week the story was always the same. Then later it fell away to be far enough behind week to week that it lost relevance in hardware sales.

Now the interesting discussions are around USA and UK because those are the only significant markets where there is hardware competition. And we get sales information directly for the USA outside of VGC, and we get UK information weekly for software and a few times per year for hardware. Japan is sort of interesting becuase there is competition between PS4 and Wii U. But Japan as a console market is a shadow of what it once was, and is therefore inherently less interesting.

So perahps the era of significant interest in game console sales is itself waning.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
RolStoppable said:

The boredom wouldn't change if we got regular sales updates. The sales themselves are boring, considering how clear cut the positions of all five systems this generation are.

You're right about that. The only interesting sales discussions last gen were PS3/360 because those were the consoles that were closely competing. DS was killing PSP, but not to the extent of 3DS killing PSV. Wii was initially so far ahead that week to week the story was always the same. Then later it fell away to be far enough behind week to week that it lost relevance in hardware sales.

Now the interesting discussions are around USA and UK because those are the only significant markets where there is hardware competition. And we get sales information directly for the USA outside of VGC, and we get UK information weekly for software and a few times per year for hardware. Japan is sort of interesting becuase there is competition between PS4 and Wii U. But Japan as a console market is a shadow of what it once was, and is therefore inherently less interesting.

So perahps the era of significant interest in game console sales is itself waning.

It isn't for me.

I really hope the sales numbers come back. I like the community and discussions, but I like seeing the numbers too. It`s a good way to gauge how the industry is doing. Without it, we`re kinda in the dark...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

LudicrousSpeed said:
I come for the community, not the sales. Community is still good. Not overly biased like GAF, not full of generic users like IGN or GameFAQS.

More or less this, I came for both numbers and the community, numerical data started slowing down to a complete crawl and I've accepted that the data won't change as much if at all like it used to, all I'm here for now is the community which I feel is shaping for the better in some areas.

Topics that get discussed a lot are mostly the controversial ones sadly, threads that intend to spark actual meaningful civil discussion tend to die off within a day or two, PC threads die before days end lol.

I am a little bit saddened that users have split themselves into 3 factions though, we shouldn't have to and I know it's entirely optional but in the longrun it's not doing anyone any favours and just ends up sticking to a tribalistic mentality.

Still at least I made some cool friends on here in such a short time and I'm grateful for that.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Though I would miss it, it would ultimately be a good thing for me if the sales side of this website died, because then it would no longer be an distraction for me. I'd turn up once a month for the NPD thread and that would be it, more or less. The only time I come to VGC is to see if the numbers have been updated, and scan the hot topics and articles list to see if there is something interesting. If there's nothing on the hot topics I'm gone in less than 60 seconds.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix