By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz is a shadow of its former self (bear with me here)

I agree, this site is on it's way out sadly. ioi needs to come back here and make an effort again! Or at least let someone else do the numbers!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Its ok Pezus. But you are also a shadow of your former self.

DanneSandin said:
I agree, this site is on it's way out sadly. ioi needs to come back here and make an effort again! Or at least let someone else do the numbers!

"Way out" is a bit extreme, don't you think? 

A lot of people who came for the sales have stayed for the community; as is the case for me. So long as the community remains as awesome as it is I see no reason why the site can't continue to function or to grow.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Like i have say long time ago i visit this site only for the forum because people here have great opinions about video games, not trolling and quicly post news, also the N4G is the second thing i click on it. The sales numbers always was a joke especially for one brand name .
I hope its not something importand and VG come back to normal soon. Maybe THEY come back fresh and catch the right numbers more often

Hynad said:

Its ok Pezus. But you are also a shadow of your former self.

I expect this comment sooner. I made it clear that I was leaving the site though. ioi has not.

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
DanneSandin said:

"Way out" is a bit extreme, don't you think? 

A lot of people who came for the sales have stayed for the community; as is the case for me. So long as the community remains as awesome as it is I see no reason why the site can't continue to function or to grow.

well, that's what's going to happen at least if ioi doesn't put some effort back into this place. I've been here these past 2 months BECAUSE of the community, but I have to say it's a bit more doll without the numbers. This is the only forum I'm really active in, and it's becuase of the community.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

RIP Vgchartz....... for the good memories ......

I come for the community, not the sales. Community is still good. Not overly biased like GAF, not full of generic users like IGN or GameFAQS.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

In terms of sales debates, you're absolutely right. But, to be perfectly honest, the sales debates were never especially interesting to me. I rarely saw deep, insightful analyses of sales trends, market shifts, and pre-order patterns. Much more frequently I saw "game X is winning, lol" or "system Y is doomed, lmao." Sales figures on VGChartz are more often used as artillery in a never-ending console war, rather than an entree to a meaningful discussion about the video game market.

So, while I know some members here miss them desperately, I don't mind their absence. It's the community here that brings me back, not the numbers. 

"Game X is winning" can also be disingenuous when NPD / GfK SKU rankings differ from Chartz rankings.

It's a mixed bag, honestly. Some software numbers are close to the real thing from ioi's methodologies...others? Not so much.

After all, ioi's sampling methodologies aren't fool-proof / authoritative.

Like for March software numbers...I was impressed that one of the software figures (that wasn't leaked anywhere) was like 5K off from the real number. But then I looked at another figure which was 262K off from the real number.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

In terms of sales debates, you're absolutely right. But, to be perfectly honest, the sales debates were never especially interesting to me. I rarely saw deep, insightful analyses of sales trends, market shifts, and pre-order patterns. Much more frequently I saw "game X is winning, lol" or "system Y is doomed, lmao." Sales figures on VGChartz are more often used as artillery in a never-ending console war, rather than an entree to a meaningful discussion about the video game market.

So, while I know some members here miss them desperately, I don't mind their absence. It's the community here that brings me back, not the numbers. 

There used to be good sales threads, with nice predictions, and bets with chartzdollars. We had the Japan preview, and the staff genuinely wanted to deliver better numbers. But people bitched too much.

I wonder if Wii hadn't sold that much, hardcore gamers might've bitched less about the over/under tracking.