By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witcher 3 - Out Now! Impressions?

Tagged games:

Opinion?

Excellent! 254 42.62%

Great! 71 11.91%

Good 32 5.37%

It's OK 32 5.37%

Eh... 13 2.18%

No thanks 20 3.36%

Get this thing out of here! 7 1.17%

See results 164 27.52%

Total:593
SvennoJ said:
Danman27 said:
dane007 said:

Witcher 3 gameplay has ben overhauled completely from witcher 2. its alot of fluid and in depth.  there are so many optiosn to use in battle and its very satisfying when you win as you have to do whats you havebeen given to win. The story is beautiful and very engaging. keps you pulled in . Its faster paced to that of witcher 2 . What rpg do you prefer playing if witcher 2 was boring for you?

Favorite RPG is Souls series, including Bloodborne. I also enjoy final fantasy, Mass effect, Skyrim, and Fallout. I just found the witcher incredibly unengaging, it really annoyed that I had to use two different swords because they were both the exact same thing, I just had to keep track of which button I had to press to kill a certain enemy, and I thought the magic in the game was incredibly boring. 

I see what you mean, witcher 3 is not grabbing as much as the souls series or even Skyrim did. After an hour, 2 at most I'm usually done, but I do still come back for more. I could play Dark souls and Skyrim for 10 hours straight without ever losing attention. The problem with witcher 3 is that the good stuff is diluted by a lot of busy work and repetitive filler quests. Last night, 2 hour play time, nothing interesting happened, well I got to lvl 16. The good stuff is worth staying for though, but I wish there was a more obvious distinction between the simple fetch quests (in this case go here, spot the red mark and report or go there and kill x) and the ones that lead to an interesting story. Skyrim handled that better.

Btw the swords are automated in witcher 3, he takes out the right one when you get near enemies. Kinda pointless to have two, just something to upgrade.

Thats fine. We all have our own taste in games. i can't spent that long on souls but i can on the Witcher 3. lol.  Ah , i play it mainly to explore teh ares i haven't seen yet and unlock villages and fill it with people all while travelling with roach :D. Scenery while doing that on pc ultra is gorgeous and it nice when you are travelling , you see a helpless villager  who needs your help or a brothel, where geralt can't help but to take a pit stop haha.  Even though its a form of  afetch quest, each of those type of quests have good amount of sotry and documentrs which you can read and sometimes, some of them , unlock more quests. games liek skyrim or  fallout or even  borderlands , wher eits jsut collect   or kill with no story. thsoe too me ar ethe  most boring quests and skyrim has unlimited amount of them lol. 

Around the Network
dane007 said:
SvennoJ said:
dane007 said:

Souls games  may be different but if you have  good equiomen and you are high level then its easy. Souls games back on last gen consoles, were only remote challenging due to FPS slow down coupled with enemies having a much longer reach. For a precision combat, the framerate needs to be flawless imo. Bloodbourne is the same but that game is much easier then the souls games.  Still the only challenge there , is mainly due to the frame pacing issues.  I actually do the quite opposite. i play all the sidequests first and do all the question mark in that area, before  tackling the main quest. That way , it provides a good amount of challenge, as you be lower level when tackling the side quests.

I guess if they made all the monster super strong, no one would finish the game as the game  itself is huge and didn't want to put people off.   The system in The witcher is no different to any JRPGs. Eventually you get OP as you reach max level. Dont forget  , it is their first attempt at making an open world. For a first attempt, they did a phenomenal job. At the end  of the day, its the story that captures your interest more then anything else in the game. Well for me , thats what keeps me coming back . The rest is just an icing on the cake really. 

Sure Souls games get easy with better equipment, they don't by simply having a higher level.
Witcher 3 is putting me off a lot more by the frame rate issues and camera than souls games did. Yet there I specialized early in pyromancy and sorcery to play a slow tactical ranged combat style. Which is one of the reasons I haven't started Bloodbourne yet, seems my favorite play style has been axed. (And I got distracted while waiting for the load time patch, now its in my backlog)

Indeed the story keeps me coming back from more. For me the rest is not just icing, it's more like a lot of stale cake that you need to get through to reach the jummy inner parts. I'm at the point to simply leave all the side quests behind, yet I'm afraid I'll miss something good. It's a weird game, awesome yet at the same time often not all that much fun to play. It is always beautiful to look at, there's that.

Yea i heard that the ps4 version ahs really bad frame rate problems. I can't say for sure as i am playing it on pc . My older brother , however has xbox  one and its looks stable to me , especially in combat.  But the witcher 3  doesnt have frame rate problems liek the souls game where it feel liek its on single frames lol. Does your ps4 version lag when you fight enemies?  I know you can do the same with Witcher 3 as i defeated a level 18 monster when i was level 6.  I think with the witcher 3, its both  where its based on high level and/or better equipment. Ah okay, fair enough. i mainly try to engage in combat , rather then do the tactical way. Apart from the  frame rate in souls , my main gripe with teh game was teh lack of story. for me , i need to hav e a reson to explore the worl di am and there needs to be  apurpose for it as well.   Going in to kill bosses and gettign equipment to unlock area , for me was pointless as theres no  reason to reach the end . Unless you want the gloryu to boast that you finished it  ;).  I agree totally. Its the story that you get from the main quests and teh story you get from sidequests , is what makes me keep on playing.  Its not like syrim  where it says  go collect 4 of something or go to this guys house and kill  him with this poison arrow.  The sidequets has lot fo backstory which makes i worthwhile to wexplore , plus its beautiful written as well.  Bloodbourne is fun but its easier then soul games  , hower the frame pacing issues is terrible. constant stuttering , especially during combat. 

Souls games tell the story via the world design, and there are story lines in the characters you meet if you pay attention. Souls games actually make me want to explore every corner as the world is unique and varied. I can remember the exact maps of the Souls games, yet games like the witcher 3 only leave behind a vague outline of the world map and some points of interest. Those 20/30 villages all look the same in the end.
Dark souls slowed down a lot in Blight town but otherwise it was fine. Witcher 3 slows down everytime it rains, fighting groups in the rain is not fun. (although still better than Blight town, that was ropey)

I've done plenty sidequests in Witcher 3 with hardly any backstory or just a little document. Sorry, but that doesn't make "Can you get rid of this monster for me" quests any better, nor the "find out what happened to x". Another lost patrol, another lost son or brother, another "we arrived and got ambushed, btw stash is over there". It's just repeated too often, and the documents all become a slight variation of the same couple of themes.
Still loving the main quest, solving a heist atm and seems I have to rescue Dandelion.

What I meant with Skyrim is that it's very clear what the generic procedural quests are, and which are the main side quests paths. Most of those were well written too and very different from each other. The main quest was boring though, I had to force myself to complete it after doing everything else.

SvennoJ said:
dane007 said:
SvennoJ said:
dane007 said:

Souls games  may be different but if you have  good equiomen and you are high level then its easy. Souls games back on last gen consoles, were only remote challenging due to FPS slow down coupled with enemies having a much longer reach. For a precision combat, the framerate needs to be flawless imo. Bloodbourne is the same but that game is much easier then the souls games.  Still the only challenge there , is mainly due to the frame pacing issues.  I actually do the quite opposite. i play all the sidequests first and do all the question mark in that area, before  tackling the main quest. That way , it provides a good amount of challenge, as you be lower level when tackling the side quests.

I guess if they made all the monster super strong, no one would finish the game as the game  itself is huge and didn't want to put people off.   The system in The witcher is no different to any JRPGs. Eventually you get OP as you reach max level. Dont forget  , it is their first attempt at making an open world. For a first attempt, they did a phenomenal job. At the end  of the day, its the story that captures your interest more then anything else in the game. Well for me , thats what keeps me coming back . The rest is just an icing on the cake really. 

Sure Souls games get easy with better equipment, they don't by simply having a higher level.
Witcher 3 is putting me off a lot more by the frame rate issues and camera than souls games did. Yet there I specialized early in pyromancy and sorcery to play a slow tactical ranged combat style. Which is one of the reasons I haven't started Bloodbourne yet, seems my favorite play style has been axed. (And I got distracted while waiting for the load time patch, now its in my backlog)

Indeed the story keeps me coming back from more. For me the rest is not just icing, it's more like a lot of stale cake that you need to get through to reach the jummy inner parts. I'm at the point to simply leave all the side quests behind, yet I'm afraid I'll miss something good. It's a weird game, awesome yet at the same time often not all that much fun to play. It is always beautiful to look at, there's that.

Yea i heard that the ps4 version ahs really bad frame rate problems. I can't say for sure as i am playing it on pc . My older brother , however has xbox  one and its looks stable to me , especially in combat.  But the witcher 3  doesnt have frame rate problems liek the souls game where it feel liek its on single frames lol. Does your ps4 version lag when you fight enemies?  I know you can do the same with Witcher 3 as i defeated a level 18 monster when i was level 6.  I think with the witcher 3, its both  where its based on high level and/or better equipment. Ah okay, fair enough. i mainly try to engage in combat , rather then do the tactical way. Apart from the  frame rate in souls , my main gripe with teh game was teh lack of story. for me , i need to hav e a reson to explore the worl di am and there needs to be  apurpose for it as well.   Going in to kill bosses and gettign equipment to unlock area , for me was pointless as theres no  reason to reach the end . Unless you want the gloryu to boast that you finished it  ;).  I agree totally. Its the story that you get from the main quests and teh story you get from sidequests , is what makes me keep on playing.  Its not like syrim  where it says  go collect 4 of something or go to this guys house and kill  him with this poison arrow.  The sidequets has lot fo backstory which makes i worthwhile to wexplore , plus its beautiful written as well.  Bloodbourne is fun but its easier then soul games  , hower the frame pacing issues is terrible. constant stuttering , especially during combat. 

Souls games tell the story via the world design, and there are story lines in the characters you meet if you pay attention. Souls games actually make me want to explore every corner as the world is unique and varied. I can remember the exact maps of the Souls games, yet games like the witcher 3 only leave behind a vague outline of the world map and some points of interest. Those 20/30 villages all look the same in the end.
Dark souls slowed down a lot in Blight town but otherwise it was fine. Witcher 3 slows down everytime it rains, fighting groups in the rain is not fun. (although still better than Blight town, that was ropey)

I've done plenty sidequests in Witcher 3 with hardly any backstory or just a little document. Sorry, but that doesn't make "Can you get rid of this monster for me" quests any better, nor the "find out what happened to x". Another lost patrol, another lost son or brother, another "we arrived and got ambushed, btw stash is over there". It's just repeated too often, and the documents all become a slight variation of the same couple of themes.
Still loving the main quest, solving a heist atm and seems I have to rescue Dandelion.

What I meant with Skyrim is that it's very clear what the generic procedural quests are, and which are the main side quests paths. Most of those were well written too and very different from each other. The main quest was boring though, I had to force myself to complete it after doing everything else.

To each  their own :).  Fo em i need actual story to explore lol.  The only town i remember from souls game was blight town and i gues sit probably due to the terrible slow down.    Yea thats true but some of those side quest  have actual story before help them to mundane task.  At least theres an end to the side quests in teh witcher 2. Skyrim was unlimited XD. Yea  skyrim main quest was very boring. i have yet to finish the game. I hoping ot mod the pc version  as  an excuse to play it and finish it.  For me oblivion had a more interesting story line then skyrim. 

i had alot of slow down for the souls gaem and at that time i was playing the xbox 30 version.  That sucks that the ps4 sufferes alot of fps problem.  Did  the new patch fix and performance issues? I heard 1.04 is out for ps4. 

For those who have the new 1.05 patch. the game camera is so much smoother and performance has improved again. its pretty much flawless 60 even when transitioning from area to another through rain and sunshine lol.

With Nvidia hair , if you have 980 is still sitting around the 50fps mark. HOpefully more performance improvement will be done for that , to try and achieve 60fps

dane007 said:
Danman27 said:

Favorite RPG is Souls series, including Bloodborne. I also enjoy final fantasy, Mass effect, Skyrim, and Fallout. I just found the witcher incredibly unengaging, it really annoyed that I had to use two different swords because they were both the exact same thing, I just had to keep track of which button I had to press to kill a certain enemy, and I thought the magic in the game was incredibly boring. 

fair enough. i was never too fond of the souls game as it was fair challenge , due to the limitation of the console. can't play a precision combat if the framerate is terrrible and then you couple it with super long reach which makes unplayable to me.  For me rpg have to have story and thats another reason why i don t like souls or bloodbourne and prefer witcher series and mass effect.  The story have to  be well written adn the quest have to  be meaningful and not fetch or kil quests liek in fallout  or skrim. in saying that , i enjoyed fallout 3. FOr me bloodbourne was a step of  souls game but it still lack story  and the frame pacing was painful. Ah fair enough. You dont have to worry about that in the witcher 3 as it does it for automatically.  As soon as you detect the enemy, the game will pull out the right one.  Hows the magic any more boring then the magic in skyrim ? lol. or even in mass effect series lol . You do have to remember , its a different universe  right lol. Those days you dont have exciting magic to use. 

If you actually read into it, the story of the souls games are excellent. They just don't tell you it. My friends defines it as the story being optional. If you want to just run through, and kill bosses, you can, and you'll have fun doing it, but there really is a deep complex story in lore to each of the games. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWOy6ioVHI

That's a video explaining the backstory of bloodborne, and it's 30 minutes long. 

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Danman27 said:
SvennoJ said:

I see what you mean, witcher 3 is not grabbing as much as the souls series or even Skyrim did. After an hour, 2 at most I'm usually done, but I do still come back for more. I could play Dark souls and Skyrim for 10 hours straight without ever losing attention. The problem with witcher 3 is that the good stuff is diluted by a lot of busy work and repetitive filler quests. Last night, 2 hour play time, nothing interesting happened, well I got to lvl 16. The good stuff is worth staying for though, but I wish there was a more obvious distinction between the simple fetch quests (in this case go here, spot the red mark and report or go there and kill x) and the ones that lead to an interesting story. Skyrim handled that better.

Btw the swords are automated in witcher 3, he takes out the right one when you get near enemies. Kinda pointless to have two, just something to upgrade.

Well, the sword thing is good to hear, but I think the souls series has ruined me for sword fighting. generally speaking. I just love the way that game controls, and no other game does it as well in my opinion.

I'm hearing this a lot, but as someone who played DS I still find combat in Severance: Blade of Darkness better (and that's 2001 PC game). Which didn't stop me from enjoying DS.

As for W3, as much as some people complain, I have zero issues with combat (though I have with some other stuff), but then again I'm quite forgiving when it comes to RPGs, specially of  open-world variety, since there's much more important things for these games - ie. combat in TES games is complete crap, still Morrowind is one of the best open-world RPGs ever made.

I feel like if combat in an RPG is crap, it's not worth playing. Afterall, you spend most of your time doing that. So, I want fighting to be enjoyable. When playing Skyrim, I have it modded like crazy to add more depth to the combat. 

Danman27 said:
HoloDust said:
Danman27 said:
SvennoJ said:

Well, the sword thing is good to hear, but I think the souls series has ruined me for sword fighting. generally speaking. I just love the way that game controls, and no other game does it as well in my opinion.

I'm hearing this a lot, but as someone who played DS I still find combat in Severance: Blade of Darkness better (and that's 2001 PC game). Which didn't stop me from enjoying DS.

As for W3, as much as some people complain, I have zero issues with combat (though I have with some other stuff), but then again I'm quite forgiving when it comes to RPGs, specially of  open-world variety, since there's much more important things for these games - ie. combat in TES games is complete crap, still Morrowind is one of the best open-world RPGs ever made.

I feel like if combat in an RPG is crap, it's not worth playing. Afterall, you spend most of your time doing that. So, I want fighting to be enjoyable. When playing Skyrim, I have it modded like crazy to add more depth to the combat. 

the comabt in the witcher 3 to me is really good. you have alot to use when fighting and you can't simply mash attack. if you do , you will die lol. 

GamechaserBE said:

Well that is what the dev says... but only when the quests are dark/grey and you have atleast a difference of 6 levels.   I got the update now and still no Xp for low level quests...

I noticed the same thing. I don't receive xp from low level quests. I wish I had done some of them sooner.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

I get 5 xp for low level quests :S, but i only have 3 or 4 that are low level now.

It doesn't really bother me too much. I still do the quests for fun, I enjoy and appreciate how much effort they put into makingsome of the side quests almost as epic as the main quests in this game.

Danman27 said:
HoloDust said:

Haha, you should've tried Morrowind, combat there is...well I'll be polite, basic at best. Still best TES, by a country mile.

Anyway, W3 combat is quite good, specially on PC, I'm guessing that most people complaining about haven't played many action-WRPGs in their life, and/or have played only Souls/BB. So, that is certainly not the reason to skip this game.