By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Do Gamers Hate On Everything That's In?

Because why not?

Around the Network

I think sports games in general should only be released every 3 years. Most the of the time the biggest change is the roster. As for COD, up until AW it really has been the same every year. AW is terrible though IMO. My least liked COD, granted i never played Ghosts, which seems to be the most hated one.

Perhaps people just don't like these games? I don't know, it could be a reason. Not everything is because something is popular. Having said that, I like what I like, irrespective of popularity or societal acceptance. I don't care about FIFA , GTA, Uncharted, or Call of Duty. Not because they are popular, but because they do not appeal to me. I enjoy Assassin's Creed and that's popular. I enjoy Gears of War and Halo (to a degree). Both series have a sizable fanbase as well. For me, it has nothing to do with how many people enjoy it (or not). It all has to do with ME enjoying it.

First of all, I'm not going to say I "hate" Call of Duty. It's just that I have zero interest in that series. What I do hate is the business model behind that series. Second, despite the fact that I'm 30 years old, I do not let nostalgia blind me. I think I have a good sense in what has aged well over the years and what has not.

That being said, as someone who's been gaming for over 25 years, I've experienced a lot. One thing that I have noticed in recent years is the lack of fresh games in the mainstream market. I don't simply mean original IP's. I mean games in general because sequels can be just as new and refreshing as an original IP. When growing up, it seemed like every time you turned your head, something new and exciting was happening. Think of it this way. In 1991, you had Street Fighter II. In 1992, you had Mortal Kombat. In 1993, you had Virtua Fighter. Within 2 years, three fighting games came along that revolutionized that genre of games in their own way and each game was easily distinguishable from one another. That's just one example. This kind of thing was happening with almost every game genre.

You don't see that anymore. Just recently, I recalled seeing promos for the latest Battlefield game. I remember thinking to myself that if they had removed the title of the game from the promo, I would have no idea what that game was supposed to be. It could be Call of Duty or several other games. A lot of games now look a like, are marketed alike, and many of them play alike. I know part of the issue is technology. Technology was progressing differently 25 years ago. Back then, upgraded technology meant new experiences. Nowadays, upgraded technology means that older experiences run more smoothly. Nowadays, newer technology is about creating better services rather than newer experiences. I'm not criticizing this. It's just the way it is. The big problem is the state of the industry. Big AAA games are more or less made by marketing executives. Also, because they're are more costly, making games that are more familiar to players is the safer bet.

By comparison, Nintendo and Sega did the exact opposite with Mario and Sonic. Mario and Sonic shared only the same basic genre and the fact that they were mascots for two big brands. Other than that, they were entirely different from one another on every level. They didn't compete with one another based on their likenesses. They competed based on their differences. The people behind marketing at Nintendo and Sega used these differences to try and convince consumers that one was better than the other. That's what is missing from gaming today. That's where we need to get back to.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

At first people complained about Fifa and COD being the same thing. now that the COD fanbase and Fifa fanbase are a bit angered from all the negativty, they went so low and started to attack nintendo and saying ''ohh mario is so milked or pokemon'' Yes technically they are milked franchises, doesnt mean they are bad games. But COD and Fifa, arent really good games, in each new mario game theres something big new, but in Fifa and COD its just better graphics. I gotta be honest though COD has tried something new and interesting with like the future mechanics but it didnt work out too well in my opinion. They should go back to Vietnam war era or World War 2

Around the Network
FIT_Gamer said:
I think sports games in general should only be released every 3 years. Most the of the time the biggest change is the roster. As for COD, up until AW it really has been the same every year. AW is terrible though IMO. My least liked COD, granted i never played Ghosts, which seems to be the most hated one.

I played ghosts and its utterly terrible

It's far quicker, cheaper, and easier to assume someone else's opinion (or just write something off entirely) than forming one's own with first-hand experience. There's also the whole "fitting in with what's perceived as the cool internet crowd" aspect, as well as the "success breeds contempt" thing, which is where a lot of the hating comes in.

Guess CoD and FIFA are the pumpkin spice lattes of the video game world - you don't want to be a basic bitch gamer, do you?

When people tell me 5 hours a day how great a game is I just don't want to hear about that game anymore.

Mr.Playstation said:

Such as people constantly say that Fifa ( One of the most popular sports games in the world ) is just updated teams and nothing else and then go on to brag about the fact that their last Fifa game was Fifa 11.

Maybe these people are Wii owners.

Downplay is an art form that only gamers know how to do. ;)