By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Graphical progress on Wii U so far

Barozi said:
This thread is already full of bullshots.
At least the OP tried to find gameplay images.

The Mario Kart 8 traikers was just pretty much them doing a race then recording the highlights

Around the Network

This thread is very different on page 16 than it was on page 6.

I'm gonna go back

curl-6 said:
NoirSon said:

Doubtful, I think aside from the DS, the last home console of Nintendo's that was ever pushed to its max potential MIGHT have been the N64.

Maybe the Wii, but I get the feeling that due to schedule and budget contrastiants even its best games (save possibly Skyward Sword but I feel they probably could have done more with that)  could have been MUCH better, so the system was never really pushed to the extreme like we've seen certain SNES, N64 and even DS games that arrived late in those system lives.

Unfortunately I see the Wii U on that same path, Nintendo will of course do a lot with the system but aside from the Zelda entry they won't come close to maxing it out with their own internal studios, and they don't have the third party support that a major publisher would gamble on getting a team to do so. I mean Intelligent Systems, a long time internal Nintendo development studio didn't even know the 3DS could process feet for character models on battle cinematics for Fire Emblem Awakening, until it was too late to add it in development.

This. On SNES, N64, and Gamecube, they had studios like Rare and Factor 5 who were willing to make the investment needed to push  the hardware to its limits. Nobody really did that on Wii, and I doubt anyone will on Wii U either.

But just because Wii U will probably never be maxed out, doesn't mean there's not room for it to grow still. I expect there are games still to come that will exceed anything released on it so far graphically.

They have Retro Studio and the team doing the Zelda games. Those always push things further and further. 

Zelda games have been pushing the hardware a lot since the original Ocarina of Time. And Retro Studios are always achieving unmatched results despite going for a 60fps framerate. Granted, their Donkey Kong games don't seem to push the hardware nearly as much as their Metroid Prime games, but I am sure their next project won't be a new DK, so there's still hope. 

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

This. On SNES, N64, and Gamecube, they had studios like Rare and Factor 5 who were willing to make the investment needed to push  the hardware to its limits. Nobody really did that on Wii, and I doubt anyone will on Wii U either.

But just because Wii U will probably never be maxed out, doesn't mean there's not room for it to grow still. I expect there are games still to come that will exceed anything released on it so far graphically.

They have Retro Studio and the team doing the Zelda games. Those always push things further and further. 

Zelda games have been pushing the hardware a lot since the original Ocarina of Time. And Retro Studios are always achieving unmatched results despite going for a 60fps framerate. Granted, their Donkey Kong games don't seem to push the hardware nearly as much as their Metroid Prime games, but I am sure their next project won't be a new DK, so there's still hope. 

Yeah I hope Retro do something more ambitious for their next title, something that pushes Wii U the way their Metroid Prime games pushed the Gamecube and Wii.

Zelda is also a possible contender, but it's so up in the air at the moment; I'm not even sure if it will look like what they've shown so far, since they seem to be reworking it...

curl-6 said:
Hynad said:

Yeah I hope Retro do something more ambitious for their next title, something that pushes Wii U the way their Metroid Prime games pushed the Gamecube and Wii.

Zelda is also a possible contender, but it's so up in the air at the moment; I'm not even sure if it will look like what they've shown so far, since they seem to be reworking it...

They didn't say they were reworking it. They said they had new good ideas and want to put them in the game. And that takes time. So I don't know why you have the impression that the game will end up being changed or different from the footage we've already seen.

We've seen a running build of the game with the graphics and scope that were shown in the very first reveal of the game. So I am not worried one bit.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

They didn't say they were reworking it. They said they had new ideas and want to put them in the game. 

We've seen a running build of the game with the graphics and scope that were shown in the first reveal of the game. So I am not worried one bit.

The fact that it's not being shown at E3 after they said they wanted to "explore new ideas" just has me suspicious, that's all.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were reworked during production, if I recall.

At any  rate, if it does end up looking like it did at las E3 and December, it will definitely be contender for best looking game on the system in my view, and a further progression from any of their Wii U games so far.

curl-6 said:

The fact that it's not being shown at E3 after they said they wanted to "explore new ideas" just has me suspicious, that's all.

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were reworked during production, if I recall.

At any  rate, if it does end up looking like it did at las E3 and December, it will definitely be contender for best looking game on the system in my view, and a further progression from any of their Wii U games so far.

I don't think they'll change the graphics engine or art style this far into production. The new ideas they have are most likely only about gameplay, not graphics related.

And TP and SS weren't altered graphically after their first reveal.

Hynad said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think they'll change the graphics engine or art style this far into production. The new ideas they have are most likely only about gameplay, not graphics related.

And TP and SS weren't altered graphically after their first reveal.

You're most likely right.

If Zelda does end up being the Wii U's first party swansong, like Majora's Mask was the 64, Twilight Princess was for GC, and Skyward Sword was for Wii, it should represent quite a substantial journey from their first tentative steps into the HD realm with NSMBU and Nintendoland.

Skullwaker said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Haha 1/3rd?  Try 1/6 - 1/12th.

Do you not know what the words 'less than' mean?

I mean no offense but when someone says "less than" they don't usually mean magnitudes less.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Angelv577 said:
curl-6 said:

Wii U is more powerful overall, yes. PS3 has the stronger CPU, but Wii U has more than twice as much RAM and a better GPU.

The thing with games like God of War and Uncharted is that one of their primary focuses was pushing the best graphics possible, and they poured huge amounts of money, resources, and manpower into making that happen. On Wii U, there is no such drive to produce the system-pushing visuals; Nintendo has shown no interest in pushing tech, and third parties haven't made the necessary investment to do so.

That said, there have been Wii U games that are beyond PS3 capacity, like Trine 2 Director's Cut and Xenoblade Chronicles X. But in general, few devs have actually tried to push Wii U's chipset, while many poured immense resources into pushing the PS3.

Even though I agree with what you are saying.  I wouldn't be so sure with the bolded especially xenoblade chronicles when we have GTA 5 to compare.  Granted, GTA 5 development budget is very big but it also shows that ps3 is capable of doing things that were at a time unimaginable.

Tachi, a game developer, said that xeno x was likely not possible on the PS3 without downgrades.