By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Graphical progress on Wii U so far

Samus Aran said:
Angelv577 said:

Even though I agree with what you are saying.  I wouldn't be so sure with the bolded especially xenoblade chronicles when we have GTA 5 to compare.  Granted, GTA 5 development budget is very big but it also shows that ps3 is capable of doing things that were at a time unimaginable.

Tachi, a game developer, said that xeno x was likely not possible on the PS3 without downgrades.

Thats obvious, but would the downgrades be significant enough to ruin the game? I think not. The diffrence would be smaller than the difference seen in cross gen multiplats like Black Flag, Far Cry 4 or Watch Dogs. So more or less it would be the same game.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Samus Aran said:
Angelv577 said:

Even though I agree with what you are saying.  I wouldn't be so sure with the bolded especially xenoblade chronicles when we have GTA 5 to compare.  Granted, GTA 5 development budget is very big but it also shows that ps3 is capable of doing things that were at a time unimaginable.

Tachi, a game developer, said that xeno x was likely not possible on the PS3 without downgrades.

Thats obvious, but would the downgrades be significant enough to ruin the game? I think not. The diffrence would be smaller than the difference seen in cross gen multiplats like Black Flag, Far Cry 4 or Watch Dogs. So more or less it would be the same game.

The world of xeno is big with few loading times and huge view distance, don't underestimate it. And like Tachi said, this isn't the best the Wii U can offer either.

The world of xeno is big with few loading times and huge view distance, don't underestimate it. And like Tachi said, this isn't the best the Wii U can offer either.

True on all counts but my point still stands.

SubiyaCryolite said:

" There is no doubt in my mind though, that without either a reduction in draw distance, a reduction in unique textures/meshes or some extremely clever streaming technology, this game would likely be impossible to make for the PS3 or Xbox 360, at least not with the same overall visual flair."

Her words.

I think the distance draw would be terrible on ps3, wiiu has like 4 times more Ram after all. 

Goodnightmoon said:

" There is no doubt in my mind though, that without either a reduction in draw distance, a reduction in unique textures/meshes or some extremely clever streaming technology, this game would likely be impossible to make for the PS3 or Xbox 360, at least not with the same overall visual flair."

Her words.

I think the distance draw would be terrible on ps3, wiiu has like 4 times more Ram after all. 

The Wii U has roughly twice the amount of usable RAM (~480MB->1024MB) compared to a PS3, not four times. In comparison the PS4 has more than 10  times (~480MB->5120MB) the amount of usable RAM compared to the PS3 yet cross gen games were ported largely intact. There would be shorter draw distances, muddier textures and perhaps lower dynamic resolutions but it'd still be the same game at its core.  As I said the difference would be smaller than what we see in current cross gen ports.

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Goodnightmoon said

The Wii U has roughly twice the amount of usable RAM (~480MB->1024MB) compared to a PS3, not four times. In comparison the PS4 has more than 10  times (~480MB->5120MB) the amount of usable RAM compared to the PS3 yet cross gen games were ported largely intact. There would be shorter draw distances, muddier textures and perhaps lower dynamic resolutions but it'd still be the same game at its core.  As I said the difference would be smaller than what we see in current cross gen ports.

Sorry for the mistake but you get my point. The Witcher 3 could be on WiiU too, and it would be the same game at its core, but who wants to see that butchery? Sure it will not be so different between ps3 and wiiu but still, the biggest virtue of XCX is the draw distance, and that would be very dowgraded on ps3 wich is a shame, if we combine that with the downgrades on textures (that now are only "ok"), no V-Sync,  640p, worse ilumination and all that, then poor game. It would be probably an awesome game anyway though but I think the difference would be visually remarkable.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Her words.

Were those cross-gen games developed with the eighth-generation consoles exclusively in mind though? In most cases it seems to me as if they were originally developed with PS360 in mind and upgraded to the PS4XBO rather than vice-versa, with the exception of a few cases like Dragon Age Inquisition. A better comparison would be to ask how hard it would be to port Bloodborne or AC:Unity to PS360. I'd say while it isn't impossible, there would be HUGE compromises and assets changes necessary. 

An interesting thing about bottlenecks is that you just need to pass them incrementally, and that can benefit a lot. For that reason performance gains are not linear. It could very well be that twice the amount of usable ram is all the PS360 need to maintain said draw-distances. . 

The original discussion revolved around this quote,

That said, there have been Wii U games that are beyond PS3 capacity, like Trine 2 Director's Cut and Xenoblade Chronicles X. But in general, few devs have actually tried to push Wii U's chipset, while many poured immense resources into pushing the PS3.

Obviously said games are indeed beyond PS3 capacity. 

While DF says the WiiU version is basically the same as the 360/PS3 versions, I swear that the texture and water effects have to be superior, but not by that much. Outside of framerate and resolution and really, really obvious differences in texture quality, I don't think DF has a good way of quantifying such things.

I've been playing the WiiU version of AC IV: Black Flag recently. So I may be a bit biased. Nonetheless, I don't think that game's existence on the WiiU is given enough appreciation! The off-tv map is incredibly useful in an open world game like this one for finding treasures. I wouldn't want to play the game any other way.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
While DF says the WiiU version is basically the same as the 360/PS3 versions, I swear that the texture and water effects have to be superior, but not by that much. Outside of framerate and resolution and really, really obvious differences in texture quality, I don't think DF has a good way of quantifying such things.

I've been playing the WiiU version of AC IV: Black Flag recently. So I may be a bit biased. Nonetheless, I don't think that game's existence on the WiiU is given enough appreciation! The off-tv map is incredibly useful in an open world game like this one for finding treasures. I wouldn't want to play the game any other way.

The framerate on AC4 Wii U was absolutely horrid though, at least when DF tested it, and it reeks of a throwaway hackjob port, so it's not a good example of graphical progression on Wii U.

There's a reason I selected only games developed as exclusives for the OP; because they're actually tailored to the hardware. Multiplats are rarely ever a good showcase of a platform's capabilities.