By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hindsight is always 20/20, Sonys 2013 PS3 lineup was a huge mistake...

taus90 said:
DerNebel said:
taus90 said:
yes it was a huge mistake, they should have abandoned the ps3 owners in 2011 itself. Like MS did for 360.

Oh man yeah that's totally the same, putting 2013 PS3 games that people didn't buy (in comparison to what their series usually do) on PS4 instead would have been such a horrible idea, those games made such a huge impact on the PS3, in fact Sony should have released Killzone SF, Knack and Infamous SS on PS3 as well, to show people how well they can support their last gen system.

Oh and fun fact MS is publishing more 360 games this year than Sony is PS3 games.

you know what would have been brilliant a managment, not release their games on a console with 80 million base and gamble on a system that wasnt even released and pray that somehow MS would mess up their launch.. Only if they had Kevin Butler from future to tell them that

yay MS publishing more games than sony, now everyone can forget how they treated 2012 and 2013

Just for fun what are the games MS publising for 360 compared to sony ps3

fair point

Around the Network

You forgot the second best exclusive from that year, Ni No Kuni. And that was a great final (main) year for the PS3.

I think Gran Turismo 6 was the biggest mistake, that should have been at least cross-gen. Sony should have considered funding a third party game as well for the launch, something like MS did with Dead Rising 3 for example.

taus90 said:
DerNebel said:

Oh man yeah that's totally the same, putting 2013 PS3 games that people didn't buy (in comparison to what their series usually do) on PS4 instead would have been such a horrible idea, those games made such a huge impact on the PS3, in fact Sony should have released Killzone SF, Knack and Infamous SS on PS3 as well, to show people how well they can support their last gen system.

Oh and fun fact MS is publishing more 360 games this year than Sony is PS3 games.

you know what would have been brilliant a managment, not release their games on a console with 80 million base and gamble on a system that wasnt even released and pray that somehow MS would mess up their launch.. Only if they had Kevin Butler from future to tell them that

yay MS publishing more games than sony, now everyone can forget how they treated 2012 and 2013

Just for fun what are the games MS publising for 360 compared to sony ps3

Weird, that gamble is exactly what Nintendo and MS did, which is why they can both claim of themselves that their biggest studios either have released new games on the system already or will have by the end of the year, by your logic companies shouldn't ever ditch their old systems. There might be some point to not taking a gamble like that with a huge franchise as a launch game (which is why I said that GT6 should have been cross gen and that TLOU should have stayed on PS3), but smaller games like R&C and Puppeteer or spin off GOW games are exactly the type of games that you should take these risks with, because they can actually benefit from the lack of competition on a new system more than from a huge userbase, I mean have you ever checked out the bloated sales numbers of launch or close to launch games?

Do you think Knack would've sold what it did, had it released on PS3 Or Killzone SF? Or how about Resistance and Motorstorm had they released on PS2?

If they were worried about their system not performing as well at launch then that would've been even more of a reason to actually get those games on the PS4 instead of keeping them on the PS3, after all games sell systems right? No, Sony just planned that whole thing extremely poorly which is only even more underlined by the stupid release dates they gave 3 out of the 4 titles that I'd have rather they had pushed to the PS4.

Oh and the games are Screamride and ROTTR vs. MLB The Show 15

the topic title remembers me a megadeth song...sweating bullets

celador said:
You forgot the second best exclusive from that year, Ni No Kuni. And that was a great final (main) year for the PS3.

I think Gran Turismo 6 was the biggest mistake, that should have been at least cross-gen. Sony should have considered funding a third party game as well for the launch, something like MS did with Dead Rising 3 for example.

Oh I completely forgot Ni No Kuni, well I'd say that was pretty much out of their hands and you really can't blame them for not thinking of paying off Level 5 to port their 1 1/2 year old JRPG to the PS4, would've been one hell of a launch game though.

Around the Network

PS3 got too much in 2013 I agree. However IMO it was at the expense of the Vita as much as the expense of the PS4.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Launching GT6 amidst PS4 release was the biggest mistake of em all. It sold like crap, PD hasn't updated the franchise numbers since 2013 as it'd show how bad GT6 has sold compared to others.

I think one of the thing that worked for Sony was the continuous support of the PS3 at the end of the gen making people optimistic for what they might be able to bring on the PS4. My only dissapointment so far is the delay of Uncharted.

I don't even think it's a case of Hindsight being 20/20. People were saying at the time that it was a silly decision to put so many games out on PS3 that year.

Of course, as a PS3 gamer, it was great.

And PS4 launch and the subsequent 12 months was absolutely fine without them. It's now that the console is suffering, and that's something that could've been rectified. If some of these were put out as early-in-life PS4 titles, maybe InFAMOUS could've been delayed (and added some more content); then a holiday title could've been delayed (maybe Driveclub to get the PS+ version working) etc. etc.

Just regarding Ratchet though, I wouldn't have pushed that to PS4 myself. The whole point of it was that it was tying up the Future arc. Wouldn't have been great as an entry point for newcomers to the series on PS4. Plus, it was made in around 12 months using the assets & engine from the previous PS3 games. Not exactly the entrance Ratchet should be making on PS4 (as it turns out, the game was a fantastic return to form anyway, but it was lacking in a lot of content)

Kresnik said:
I don't even think it's a case of Hindsight being 20/20. People were saying at the time that it was a silly decision to put so many games out on PS3 that year.

Of course, as a PS3 gamer, it was great.

And PS4 launch and the subsequent 12 months was absolutely fine without them. It's now that the console is suffering, and that's something that could've been rectified. If some of these were put out as early-in-life PS4 titles, maybe InFAMOUS could've been delayed (and added some more content); then a holiday title could've been delayed (maybe Driveclub to get the PS+ version working) etc. etc.

Just regarding Ratchet though, I wouldn't have pushed that to PS4 myself. The whole point of it was that it was tying up the Future arc. Wouldn't have been great as an entry point for newcomers to the series on PS4. Plus, it was made in around 12 months using the assets & engine from the previous PS3 games. Not exactly the entrance Ratchet should be making on PS4 (as it turns out, the game was a fantastic return to form anyway, but it was lacking in a lot of content)

Oh, I actually didn't know that.