By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official Witcher 3 review thread, 93 meta on PS4, 93 on PC, 91 on XB1 [Mod Approved]

Will you be buying Witcher 3?

Day 1 156 58.87%

On sale 38 14.34%

After the Enhanced/GOTY edition releases 44 16.60%

No 24 9.06%

Total:262

Fusioncode said:

It's going to score 90+ regardless of the version. And everyone already knows it's PC>PS4>XB1 if you rank them. I don't see the metacritic that big of a deal for GOTY.

I agree... Meta says nothing about GOTY.

Last year was Dragon Age that received the most awards if I'm not wrong... 88 Meta.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
celador said:
The criticisms this game is receiving makes me think it could be a game that is considered overrated in the not too distant future. Similar to Dragon Age Inquisition, which scored an 88 on PS4 I believe, it has been criticised for the way it runs, the combat and the quality of the side-quests. The general consensus on DA:I is that it is not worthy of an 88, and personally I would agree, an 80 would be more representative of the game's quality. I think if the game remains in the early 90s, it may be looked at the same way by the end of the year.

Hopefully that is not the case, but regardless the game seems great and will definitely be getting a purchase from me in the future.

Oh, a consensus!  Link, please.

Every time a thread on neogaf comes up about overated games or recent RPGs, DA:I is mentioned consistently. I've seen far more people say it is overrated than under or deserving of the score it received. 

celador said:
pokoko said:

Every time a thread on neogaf comes up about overated games or recent RPGs, DA:I is mentioned consistently. I've seen far more people say it is overrated than under or deserving of the score it received. 

Regardless the Internet is the vocal minority. DA:I won all those GOTY awards for a reason.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

celador said:
pokoko said:

Oh ...  You mean, you saw some people on forums say they thought it was overrated.  I thought you had some kind of actual data.  Hm.  Not sure if I can count that as a consensus.  Oh, well, that had my interest for a bit.

celador said:
The criticisms this game is receiving makes me think it could be a game that is considered overrated in the not too distant future. Similar to Dragon Age Inquisition, which scored an 88 on PS4 I believe, it has been criticised for the way it runs, the combat and the quality of the side-quests. The general consensus on DA:I is that it is not worthy of an 88, and personally I would agree, an 80 would be more representative of the game's quality. I think if the game remains in the early 90s, it may be looked at the same way by the end of the year.

Hopefully that is not the case, but regardless the game seems great and will definitely be getting a purchase from me in the future.

These complaints for DAI were far and few between and the only legitmate one IMO was the lack of depth in most of the side quest. I also don't believe the general consesus is that it doesn't deserve an 88 everyone was saying it was GOTY. I'm sure some people were saying it cause you can find people complaining about anything espicially in the gaming industry but I think 85-90 is an appropriate score for the game.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
Goodnightmoon said:
"the combat system still lacks depth, and structure as questing never changes. As it is, it's a perfect game for whoever like to dive deep into a believable and vast imaginary world, but not for gameplay purists."

"Sloppy combat and ongoing optimisation"

"The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is a surprising failure as an open-world video game"

"the number of smaller and bigger issues can surprise (in a bad way, of course). It is an amazing game but right now the amount of bugs is simply too high."

I was not expecting this kind of coments, I´m surprised that the game is getting the same scores we though anyway.

lmao here comes the cherrypicking negative comments. Not even surprised. 

cherrypicking? Sorry if I´m concerned because even 100/100 reviews are telling that the combat is weak... when you are the whole game fighting... and sorry if i´m concerned because they are actually tellling that it doesnt really work as an open world because a bad structure. That sadly can´t be solve with patches as the framerate problems and tons of bugs that the game has. 

I´m going to waste 60$ on this and I don´t want to be so dissapointed as I was with DAI, a game that turns up to be big, beautifull, impresive... and extremely boring for my standars, and it wasn´t cheap.

I´m concerned about it, I don´t care for a big pretty world where you get bored at the third day,and I dont care about tons of dialogue, cutscenes and sex, I don´t care, I want to be rewarded by playing, and I´m having my doubts now. But i´m going to buy it anyway.

celador said:

General consensus ?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:
celador said:

General consensus ?

Most people that I know or have spoken to online thinks it is overarated. Maybe consensus was the wrong word, but I think the game is overrated and so do many others

Reviews seem all over the place in terms of gripes with the game. Some love the combat, others don't. Some love the side quests and open world and other don't. Some love the main quest and others don't.

The good thing from these reviews is that no matter if they aren't particularly in love with one part of the game they seem to all have found something to love. Not particularly worried about the complaints about the combat system because I loved the combat system in the witcher 2 even though critics didn't enjoy it. Find it hard to believe that critics hardly criticised skyrims pathetic, mind numbingly boring combat mechanics yet criticise DA and TW.

Goodnightmoon said:

I´m going to waste 60$ on this and I don´t want to be so dissapointed as I was with DAI, a game that turns up to be big, beautifull, impresive... and extremely boring for my standars, and it wasn´t cheap.

Out of curiousity (sorry I haven't been following the whole conversation), have you played the Witcher 1 and 2? If you are unsure of your purchase you can always check out those games first. They are often on sale for really cheap on Steam or GOG.